Building questions

Do I have to coat pine if it is outside?
Yes, not just for the VOCs—also to prevent rot, mold, etc.

BTW, do you have woodpeckers? Could be another outdoor critter problem(?)
The thought occurred to me that a hanging re-purposed wire or screen birdcage might solve some of these problems, but I haven't thought it entirely through. There may be some downsides.

Some cages forgo wood entirely, and just use window screen parts (with larger mesh) screwed together with sheet metal screws. I've seen them a lot at reptile shows, and there's at least one video series on YT on building them (don't have it handy ATM).

Last edited:
Aromatic phenols are the ones that are problamatic, high in Cedar there is some in eucalyptus and pine but not known to cause problems like cedar. Im using pine with paint but its for indoors.
Yacht paint or varnish will make wood survive weather, i know of boats still in use in lake District over 100 years with the odd lick of paint

Ok and do I just ask the guys for urethane and they will know what I’m talking about?
My suggestion is a water-based exterior clear urethane sealer. Oil-based is generally recommended for exterior/outside, but requires more futzing around (solvents for clean-up vs. soap & water).

If possible, I'd try to cross-reference with reptile safe sealers, but in recent years, I think most water-based urethanes are reasonably safe.

Last edited:
My suggestion is a water-based exterior clear urethane sealer. Oil-based is generally recommended for exterior/outside, but requires more futzing around (solvents for clean-up vs. soap & water).

If possible, I'd try to cross-reference with reptile safe sealers, but in recent years, I think most water-based urethanes are reasonably safe.
So I don't just slap it on the wood with a pain brush???? This is soooooo much for my brain lol

Hi Everyone. I need the builders of the forum to give me some feedback.

With the pvc panels... I am so confused. I have only found them to order online. They are not carried locally. But they come in PVC Foam sheets and then I found others that just say PVC sheets.
Foam PVC sheets:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Palight...-118-in-Foam-PVC-White-Sheet-156249/205853887

Are those in fact foam? I would assume they are a firm material but I may be really wrong here. Help... I am googling pvc sheets. Is that the wrong name for them?

Ok and then when using nails and screws outside... What kind of metal do I get that will not rust? Also will any metal window screen be good or are there some that will rust. I know stupid question. :rolleyes:

And what is the wire fencing type stuff that is coated in plastic called? It is sold in rolls.
Hmmmm, if you need help learning more go to my blog, it can help :)

Polyurethane yes can be painted without undercoat with brush it a clear varnish lacquer ? few coats to make sure fully sealed

Would give it a few days to all the smells gone will be 16 hours between coats then maybe 48hrs more
How many coats do I need to apply? And is this only if I use something like pine? Will there be an issue if it rains between coats?

Actually sorry that's paint im using polyurethane is Recoat within 2 hours. If unable to do so, wait a minimum of 72 hours, then lightly sand and recoat. Apply at least three coats on unfinished wood and two coats on surfaces already finished. After final coat, allow 24 hours before normal use.

And 2 coats minimum more the better though

Back
Top Bottom