Black mildew spots on new manzanita branches

Beppo

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi all
So a few days ago the humidity got really high when we had a huge down pour , it took a few days to get things adjusted and I bought a dehumidifier for the future. Everything levelled back out great. I just noticed there are some black spots of mildew on one of the new manzanita branches I had just placed in Jebs enclosure. What I am wondering is if anyone knows a safe way to remove this? I read an older post taking about bleach or microban, has anyone had this issue and what did you do? I bought them from a very reputable reptile business that uses them in their chameleon enclosures so I know they are commonly used. Just wondering if I can sand it off treat it and put it back in some how. Thanks 😊

I found mold, growing on some of my branches in my girls enclosure. What I ended up doing, was clearing the enclosure washing everything down with soap and water, and treating it with a one part bleach solution. I let the bleach set for 10 minutes to hopefully kill anything and then rinsed it down really really well and let it dry before putting it back in the enclosure. I haven’t had an issue sense not sure if that would help you at all or not, but that’s what I did.

I found mold, growing on some of my branches in my girls enclosure. What I ended up doing, was clearing the enclosure washing everything down with soap and water, and treating it with a one part bleach solution. I let the bleach set for 10 minutes to hopefully kill anything and then rinsed it down really really well and let it dry before putting it back in the enclosure. I haven’t had an issue sense not sure if that would help you at all or not, but that’s what I did.
Thank you!

Definitely! I’m going to do this first thing tomorrow 😊
I would try cleaning the entire branch with Dawn dish soap. Next, I would put vinegar on the places where there was visible mold. Let sit (to penetrate). Then wipe again with Dawn. Let dry. I had mold on Crepe Myrtle branches. Used this process and I haven't had any more issues.

I would try cleaning the entire branch with Dawn dish soap. Next, I would put vinegar on the places where there was visible mold. Let sit (to penetrate). Then wipe again with Dawn. Let dry. I had mold on Crepe Myrtle branches. Used this process and I haven't had any more issues.
Thank you!

Do you think I can sand them once they’re dried to get rid of the spots? I realise I probably just sound dumb now but I’m genuinely not sure. Thanks

Never mind. I’m finding that they all need to be sanded. I think they are all super Porous. Lesson. Sand blasted doesn’t mean you don’t need to sand them again 😂 I think I will have to take them all out and hand sand them so they are smooth to decrease the likely hood of this happening again.

Never mind. I’m finding that they all need to be sanded. I think they are all super Porous. Lesson. Sand blasted doesn’t mean you don’t need to sand them again 😂 I think I will have to take them all out and hand sand them so they are smooth to decrease the likely hood of this happening again.
Darn it, I'm sorry to hear that.

Are they raw manzanita without the layer of bark? If so I hate to tell you but they have a higher chance of molding with out the protective coating.

Are they raw manzanita without the layer of bark? If so I hate to tell you but they have a higher chance of molding with out the protective coating.
Damn that sucks. I bought them from Tamura design and it looks as if they use them in their own enclosures. Sad day.

Damn that sucks. I bought them from Tamura design and it looks as if they use them in their own enclosures. Sad day.
Most branches that you take the coating/bark off are going to get this black growing mildew/mold stuff. I had the same issue with willow branches. Reach out to Dale. Ask him if this is normal with these branches and if they are still safe to use.

Most branches that you take the coating/bark off are going to get this black growing mildew/mold stuff. I had the same issue with willow branches. Reach out to Dale. Ask him if this is normal with these branches and if they are still safe to use.
I reached out they said with proper air flow it shouldn’t be an issue so something possibly for me to work on 😊

Are you running a pc fan on top of the cage to help pull air through from the bottom screen?
I am and usually a ceiling fan and another fan in the bathroom that’s next to his enclosure… I’m a bit stumped but I have been worried about the fact that maybe I got it wrong when I got a hybrid enclosure and should have gone with screen?

I am and usually a ceiling fan and another fan in the bathroom that’s next to his enclosure… I’m a bit stumped but I have been worried about the fact that maybe I got it wrong when I got a hybrid enclosure and should have gone with screen?
Show me a pic of the enclosure your working with. I ran all hybrids in Northern Cali on the coast where my ambient house humidity sat 50-60% during the day. I am good at tweaking stuff to make them work with high natural humidity lol

Show me a pic of the enclosure your working with. I ran all hybrids in Northern Cali on the coast where my ambient house humidity sat 50-60% during the day. I am good at tweaking stuff to make them work with high natural humidity lol
Thank you so much I would really appreciate the help! I’ll attach pictures when I get home this evening

Thank you so much I would really appreciate the help! I’ll attach pictures when I get home this evening
IMG_3731.jpeg
excuse the mess of things. I’ve just gotten the green light to get a bigger enclosure so that’s exciting. Anyways this is my current set up I’m having a hard time finding enough room for all the add ons. I have a small pc fan on the top left. Above this is a ceiling fan. Around the corner in that bathroom is another fan (a woozoo) and usually there are several other fans running in the house.His enclosure is in the lower half of our living room and this is also where I keep a vast amount of my house plants and my box turtles enclosure as welll. I’m not sure how I can improve on air flow and if this picture is even helpful but it’s a starting point and you can let me know what else would be helpful to include so that you are able to best help me ☺️ (also on the top is a basking light my ubv and plant light and then the other bar is just for my plant I’m hanging. With all the adjusting I’ve been doing lately it looks unsightly right now 😂. I have a dehumidifier running most of the time now unless I see the humidity dip down too low. Sorry it took so long to post this. Life’s been kinda busy. I appreciate any feed back you have and let me know what other info you need. Thank you @Beman

Back
Top Bottom