HELP - New Black spots when sleeping

Lexlynn

Established Member
My veiled is about 2.5 years old now has never had any health issues despite one respiratory infection that was treated when she was about a year old.

Recently we moved her into a new enclosure, about 1-2 months ago. She was doing great, eating, etc. she has recently searched the bottom of the cage I’m assuming to lay, we previously didn’t have a sand bin but the soil mixture was the right consistency for her to burrow and lay. She never laid so we put the sand bin in and a blanket over the enclosure to give her privacy and she has since showed no interest. She won’t eat. She has never refused a meal since we’ve had her. This pic was just taken, she’s never had this black spot since we’ve had her. Tomorrow we’re taking her to the vet but in the mean time has anyone else experienced this?

A3909007-D591-454B-8EF2-97D61F7D1469.jpeg

My fear is that it may be related to being eggbound. The sooner she gets in to a good vet, the better. @kinyonga can better advise in this situation. Until she gets here though, she’ll probably ask how long ago she was digging and stopped.

Did she lay eggs in January? You posted back then that she was digging a hole and had filled it in. Did you ever dig it up to see if she laid eggs or how many she laid?

If she laid at the beginning of January then it’s about 120 to 130 days until she might lay again…so maybe the end of April…but it depends on how much you’re feeding her and the temperatures you’ve been keeping her at as to whether she will produce eggs/lay or not.

Bruising in one area like that could be from a trauma (fall) or it could be from something like pressure in that area. I’m not a vet and these are only my best guesses.

Did she lay eggs in January? You posted back then that she was digging a hole and had filled it in. Did you ever dig it up to see if she laid eggs or how many she laid?

If she laid at the beginning of January then it’s about 120 to 130 days until she might lay again…so maybe the end of April…but it depends on how much you’re feeding her and the temperatures you’ve been keeping her at as to whether she will produce eggs/lay or not.

Bruising in one area like that could be from a trauma (fall) or it could be from something like pressure in that area. I’m not a vet and these are only my best guesses.
That post was last year I believe. She never laid in January. She laid probably about 6 months ago. She definitely is due to lay I’m worried the change in the substrate and lay bin may have deterred her from laying. We’re taking her to the animal hospital right now

She is a beauty- Please keep us updated. I have seen similar near the nails only. Treated with fungal powder (successfully). (y)

Looking at the photo again, I notice that the black marks are on her arm a bit too…so not pressure in the lower area or trauma as I first thought.

Good luck at the vets! Hope they figure it out!

Looking at the photo again, I notice that the black marks are on her arm a bit too…so not pressure in the lower area or trauma as I first thought.

We are currently waiting here now. It’s been 4 hours so far 😭 but I’ll post on here again with what they say or do 💙

Hi! So our vet saw what looked to be one egg, he said the surrounding isn’t as shaped and could possibly be an organ not an egg. He’s thinking possible GI issues, have you ever heard of anything like this? They’re giving her fluids, antibiotics, and we have to inject her with a medication as well. I’m just concerned this may not be the right course of action ): we have now been here 8 hours and I’m more unsure now than I was when we got here

Hi! So our vet saw what looked to be one egg, he said the surrounding isn’t as shaped and could possibly be an organ not an egg. He’s thinking possible GI issues, have you ever heard of anything like this? They’re giving her fluids, antibiotics, and we have to inject her with a medication as well. I’m just concerned this may not be the right course of action ): we have now been here 8 hours and I’m more unsure now than I was when we got here
This was the X-ray

Attachments

• 4E76E5BF-309C-4059-AB1C-E642B2E97606.png
    4E76E5BF-309C-4059-AB1C-E642B2E97606.png
    241.9 KB · Views: 57
I’m not trained to read X-rays so I’m not sure what’s going on. Hopefully someone who can read X-rays will chime in.

I’m not trained to read X-rays so I’m not sure what’s going on. Hopefully someone who can read X-rays will chime in.
Thank you for all the help so far! Hopefully this treatment goes well if not we have to get more blood work done; but we’ll see what happens 💗🙏

Hello!
On 4/8 I took my chameleon to the vet for being a bit lethargic, not eating, and displaying black markings by her belly.
The vet was not an exotic vet but allegedly consulted with one (that’s a whole other story 🙄) but he said the exotic vet said it seemed to be a digestion issue. She was given antibiotics by injection for 4 days then another injection every 3 days. I am currently feeding her with a syringe, and the food and water mixture they gave me. They never told me how much to feed her just to read the package which has been another challenge as it’s hard to determine the right amount, so I’ve fed her about half a syringe a day. Her eyes have sunken in slightly, not dramatically.
Her condition isn’t getting better, nor is it getting worse. I’m worried the syringe and injections are stressing her out so much she may even die based off that alone, everytime I open the cage she immediately opens her mouth and hissed at me.

Has anyone ever had anything like this? I attached the X-rays below if anyone is a vet and noticed anything maybe the vet didn’t see?

A7C15B15-66EC-4982-B014-CC5B68B13545.jpeg

These were the black markings I’m referring to.

Attachments

• 4582A1E2-58CA-47E2-A6D7-1709D2936351.png
    4582A1E2-58CA-47E2-A6D7-1709D2936351.png
    241.9 KB · Views: 48
Did you ask the vet if it could be a fungal infection?
Has it spread at all?
I’m sorry I just saw this. We took her back two days ago to a different vet for another opinion. They said she gained weight, and recommended be feed her double along with a calcium supplement. Unfortunately today she declined rapidly. Found her hanging upside down, weak, eyes closed. She took a feeding just fine this morning. Despite 2 vet trips, 2 different injections, syringe feedings, she is most likely going to pass away. She became so weak she wasn’t able to hold on to her branch anymore. We now have her in a bin. On a heating pad, assuming she will pass any moment. Her breaths are far apart and heavy accompanied by hissing. I’m not sure what went wrong. We are planning to have a necropsy done to give us insight on what may have been the cause. I’m heartbroken and sad I couldn’t help her. Thank you for all your support!
E9B6459D-7C59-48C7-9EB5-B3BB59BF54E2.jpeg

I am so sorry you’re going through this.😢 Thank you for sharing this experience with us. I have no advice to bring for I am a newer keeper. I still hope someway somehow she pulls through though. 🙏
She is lucky to have you, thank you for giving her such love and care.

I am so sorry you’re going through this.😢 Thank you for sharing this experience with us. I have no advice to bring for I am a newer keeper. I still hope someway somehow she pulls through though. 🙏
She is lucky to have you, thank you for giving her such love and care.
Thank you for these kind kind words. She unfortunately just passed. I’m sad and angry at the vets for not being more thorough. We always tried to do the best we could to give her the best life we could. I feel sad that I couldn’t save her. ):

Back
Top Bottom