Black Crickets vs. "Normal" Crickets

Syn

Avid Member
As far as I can tell from one of the threads the "normal" cricket is Acheta domesticus [post] and the black cricket is Gryllus bimaculatus. [post]

In regards to all of the recent threads I am very curious to know what the nutritional aspects of the black crickets are.

Are they better in any way, nutritionally?
Can they resist the cricket virus? (Looks like they can, possibly: [post])
Do the risks (bites, etc.) outweigh the benefits?
Can the black and "normal" crickets be bred together to create a better cricket? (This one is just a Syn-is-curious question. Hopefully it doesn't create something akin to the killer bee....)

They look to have more chitin, or at least a harder shell and they bite/are aggressive. That's about all I know about them.

i like the "banana crix" i think they are called from a post i read , found a couple with brown crix, and found one black cricket from a bag i bought at a pet store .

dont know much about them wither, be intersting to find out:)

The black crickets around here are kind of lame. I haven't seen any aggression/bites from them and I used to catch them all the time. They also don't always jump right away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gryllinae

i dont think there is lot of difference between them.
Eh, there are only two references on that article. The only information that helped was:

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acheta_domesticus"]Acheta domesticus, the [/URL]House cricket, and Gryllus bimaculatus are sometimes raised in captivity for use as live food for exotic pets. Ironically, one of the ways to produce the most nutritious crickets is to feed them dry pet food.[citation needed]

Wait, dry pet food? Citation needed? Blergh.

Cave crickets are expensive though...

My favorite are the banded crickets, doubt we'll see them anytime soon. (meanwhile all you people in the UK have all your fancy cricket species, AND locusts.)

cave crickets are free in my area if you know where to collect them. Also the black crickets are common in my area, i have them in my yard.

Cave crickets are expensive though...

My favorite are the banded crickets, doubt we'll see them anytime soon. (meanwhile all you people in the UK have all your fancy cricket species, AND locusts.)
I know! Darn you Europe.
cave crickets are free in my area if you know where to collect them. Also the black crickets are common in my area, i have them in my yard.
Start collecting them and breeding them! I'm sure you would have some interest. :)

thanks SYN i will do that next summer, i actually found the place 10 years ago i was tagging a sewer with some spray paint and when i got into chameleons i went back and they have been there ever since, i can collect over 100 in a week, so i will look into breeding......my taggs are still there also lol.

I've been trying to breed the darn cave things for a month now! The stupid eggs get stupid :( Blah.

Back
Top Bottom