HELP! Chameleon stopped eating for two weeks

ivythechammy

Please let me know what I can do to help my poor chameleon! I’m really worried, and I don’t want to lose her!! I used to have many different reptiles many years ago, but this is my first time caring for a chameleon. That said, I do have some basic knowledge with reptile and chameleon husbandry. I wanted to rekindle this hobby, and it’ll be really sad if this turns out to be a tragedy.

I have compiled a detailed history to the best of my memory, which you can find at the end of this post.

I also took some pictures today. Please let me know if you want a specific angle and I'll snap it when she's in the right position.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon -
    • Female veiled chameleon.
    • Purchased from petco on 11/29/2019
  • Handling -
    • 1-2x/ month. Generally avoided unless I have to.
  • Feeding -
    • Mainly large superworms gut-loaded with cricket crack
    • 3 worms every 2-3 days
  • Supplements -
    • A mixture of the supplement below, dusted on every single superworm
    • ZooMed Repti-calcium without D3 (About 1 teaspoon)
    • ZooMed Reptivite vitamins (A light sprinkle)
  • Watering
    • Monsoon mister 3x/day & 2 mins per session
    • Occasionally I see the chameleon drinking
  • Fecal Description
    • Usually moist dark brown/black stool with white urate
    • Never been tested for parasites
    • No stool recently due to lack of eating
  • History
    • Not sure if the chameleon grew much if at all since I got her.
    • Extremely shy and gets upset whenever I open the cage door

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - ZooMed ReptiBreeze
    • 16 x 16 x 30 Screen
  • Lighting -
    • ZooMed UVB which came with the ReptiBreeze Starter kit
    • 8am-8pm
  • Temperature -
    • Basking: 80F
    • Lower corner: 67F
    • Measured using handheld infrared scanner
  • Humidity
    • Not currently being monitored by any means
  • Plants
    • Plastic plants
  • Placement
    • Top of the cage is about 4’4” from the floor
    • Located in the corner of my room, not near any fan/vents, but I do spend a considerable amount of time in my room near the cage.
  • Location -
    • Central New Jersey
Disclaimer:

-I understand that my setup is far from perfect. I realized that ReptiBreeze started kit isn’t the best option (after I bought it). I decided to get some milage out of it while my chameleon is “growing up”. At the same time, I wanted to learn from this setup and gain some insight on what to improve for my next setup. I was planning on doing these improvements next month after moving into a new apartment. I know there are a million things I can improve upon and most of you are more knowledgeable than me, but please refrain from any critique for now unless you believe it is pertinent to the current issue. Much appreciated.

-Larger cage (I thought I got a juvenile chameleon, but in retrospect, I think she was already fully grown when I got her)

-Live plants

-Better UV light

-Better supplements

-I understand that superworm isn’t the best feeder, but they are easier to maintain. I do switch things up once a blue moon to make things interesting.

Current Problem + Timeline:

-Today
-Chameleon has eaten almost nothing in two weeks. She is weak, and struggles with climbing, and mostly just hangs on the vine. I have not been able to obtain a fecal sample as she has not been eating.

-Yesterday
-I saw her sleeping during the day. A clear sign of health issue.

-3 days ago
-Received hornworm and she ate only a small one.

-4 days ago
-Because of her sudden change in appetite as mentioned above, I thought it was that she could be in fact ready to lay eggs, so I added a laying bin with coco coir in the yellow bucket as seen in the picture. I thought it wouldn’t hurt to have it in there just in case. Chameleon was acting normal again. She was moving around in the cage, but still would not eat.

-5 days ago
-Saw the chameleon hanging upside down in her cage around midnight. This is the first time I realized something could be seriously wrong with her. I immediately examined her, and she was very weak. Usually she lashes out and tries to bite me when I approach, but she was too weak to do any of that, and didn’t resist when I picked her up. Her eyes were closed and looked a bit sunken in to me. I gave her water with a hand spray, and she drank a decent amount. Since then I have been giving her water in addition to the daily automatic mist about once every other day, or when I think she is dehydrated. I ordered some hornworms on line, hoping that would entice her

-12 days ago
-Chameleon stopped eating for 3 days or so. She had thrown a fit like this before, which was spontaneously resolved. She seem fine otherwise (walking around the cage and still seem mentally alert.) At this point, I decided to wait it out.

-About a month ago
-She was extremely active in her cage (crawling up and down). She spent a significant amount of time on the floor, but I wasn’t sure if she was digging. I did some research on the forum, and I wasn’t sure if it was “Cage fever”, or she’s looking for a spot to lay eggs. I gently palpated her belly, and I did not see any bumps. Additionally, I didn’t see any drastic change of color like some people said, so I concluded that it was just cage fever, and I decided to just keep an eye on her.

Attachments

• Ivy 1.jpeg
    Ivy 1.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 146
  • ivy 2.jpeg
    ivy 2.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Ivy 3.jpeg
    Ivy 3.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 128
She is gravid and needs to lay ASAP. Please give her a stick or way for her to get in and out of her laybin. Make sure the soil is moist enough to no collapse when she digs her hole.

Sounds like you know what changes you need to make and you really need to make them ASAP. The biggest one being proper UVB as this is essential for a female chameleon to be able to form the shell around the eggs.

She is gravid and needs to lay ASAP. Please give her a stick or way for her to get in and out of her laybin. Make sure the soil is moist enough to no collapse when she digs her hole.

Sounds like you know what changes you need to make and you really need to make them ASAP. The biggest one being proper UVB as this is essential for a female chameleon to be able to form the shell around the eggs.
looks like she has a lay bin in the last picture?

Right and it looks great. But how is the chameleon supposed to get in and out of the lay bin? lol Especially if she is already weak and having a hard time gripping.

Many things wrong...

1. Superworms are treats. They are not to be fed every day, more like once a week.

2. Supplements: You need to dust every feeder with calcium without d3, and every two weeks, dust the feeder with vitamins. every two weeks, also dust with calcium with d3.

3. Lighting: You need a linear uvb bulb. preferably by arcadia, or a reptisun t5 h.o. bulb.

4. Cage: The cage needs a size upgrade.

You said you wanted the enclosure to have some "mileage" on it. This is not how things work. You are jeopardizing your chameleon's health because you want to put some use to the cage. This is very irresponsible. You also said to only talk about the husbandry issues that are related to the current problem, but, they all are very serious mistakes that can all very well lead to the issues you described. UVB lighting is one of the KEY aspects of chameleon health, and it alone can kill your chameleon. Please don't put off your chameleon's needs any longer.

I agree with @Gingero , your chameleon is gravid. You can tell by all the bumps on her side, the eggs are very visible. If your chameleon is not given a path in and out of the bucket, she will become egg bound, and will be at a serious risk of dying. Also make sure you are not watching you cham lay her eggs, this will disturb her. Preferably, put a privacy curtain around the bottom half of the cage.

Hello all, OP here.

Thank you all for the valuable input. I have some branches laying around, and I put some in just now.

Question: Should I help her get into the laying bin? or leave her in peace?

@kinyonga
The bin was put in 3 days ago. How do I know if she is egg bound, and what do I do if she is?

@PabloTheCham
Yes, I agree the setup is far from perfect. My intention was to use it as a temporary home until I have everything else planned out.

I want to clarify that I purchased the enclosure in good faith under the impression that the chameleon was a "juvenile chameleon" and the cage was supposedly a good size for the said juvenile chameleon. (Which was probably wrong in retrospect)

If I could relive my life again, I wouldn't even hesitate to spend a bit more money for a significantly larger cage. However, dissembling the setup and taking it to the dumpster after only a week of use is a tough pill to swallow. I'm not saying you are wrong... but there are also risks associated with drastically disrupting an animals habitat repeatedly within a short amount of time. It also isn't practical switch out my equipment several times a month while I am figuring things out.

Please understand that things are not so black and white, and I am fully aware of the issues while diligently working on a comprehensive solution!

Hello all, OP here.

Thank you all for the valuable input. I have some branches laying around, and I put some in just now.

Question: Should I help her get into the laying bin? or leave her in peace?

@kinyonga
The bin was put in 3 days ago. How do I know if she is egg bound, and what do I do if she is?

@PabloTheCham
Yes, I agree the setup is far from perfect. My intention was to use it as a temporary home until I have everything else planned out.

I want to clarify that I purchased the enclosure in good faith under the impression that the chameleon was a "juvenile chameleon" and the cage was supposedly a good size for the said juvenile chameleon. (Which was probably wrong in retrospect)

If I could relive my life again, I wouldn't even hesitate to spend a bit more money for a significantly larger cage. However, dissembling the setup and taking it to the sdumpster after only a week of use is a tough pill to swallow. I'm not saying you are wrong... but there are also risks associated with drastically dirupting an animals habitat repeatedly within a short amount of time. It also isn't practical switch out my equipment several times a month while I am figuring things out.

Please understand that things are not so black and white, and I am fully aware of the issues while diligently working on a comprehensive solution!
if you bought the cage from petco, you can return it 30 days late, for a full refund.

@PabloTheCham
Noted. Is there anything I can do right now to help her regain her strength? e.g. Not turning off the heat source at night time. Feeding her water with calcium and vitamin supplement in it

You can set her on top of the soil in the egg bin but I would add a branch that gives her a pathway over to it. They also seem to prefer sand. To lay in for some reason...so I hope she'll be ok with soil.

Its often hard to know when they're eggbound....and by the time you figure it out it's often too late. Some signs of it are sitting low in the cage, sleeping during the day, lethargy, phantom laying...etc.
A vet could do an X-ray...but it will likely only show that she has eggs at this point.

If she's eggbound she will need surgery before she's too weak to get through it.

@PabloTheCham
Noted. Is there anything I can do right now to help her regain her strength? e.g. Not turning off the heat source at night time. Feeding her water with calcium and vitamin supplement in it
well, you could start off by correcting your husbandry. Also make sure you have a good laying bin and that you have done your research on how to make one. If your chameleon does not lay her eggs ASAP she will be egg bound and die. So make sure the lay bin is good, and like kinyonga said, make sure she can get in and out.

Back
Top Bottom