Husbandry and not eatting crickets.

Hickswife42

My cham has just wen thru his second shedding with me, before he shed he wasnt eatting as much figured it was normal, now hes done shedding and he still not eatting crickets. Also just wanted to know how my husbandry was if someone could help please I need him back on crickets. I know I need a different uvb but I'm out of work and cant get one right now so trying to make due and hope I can get the better light before something bad happens.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Piebald veils, male, 9-10 inches so 6-9 months? *not sure*, in my care since 2/26
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Been working on it with him once or twice a day.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him crickets and superworms as a treat 2 times a week. In the morning he will eat about 4 crickets dusted in cal every morning, cal w/d3 twice a week and vitamin once every 2 weeks. Then mid afternoon about another 4 crickets. Crickets will get flukes high cal diet, greens,potatoes, ect.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repticalcium with and without d3, rep-cal multivitamins. Mon-Tues without d3, Wed with d3, Thurs-Fri without d3 and so on then every 2 weeks the multivitamins
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist his home about 4-5 times a day, I also have a fogger that runs throughout the day *it actually helps keep the water on leaves better than I thought*. When I mist I usually do it for about a minutes or so, I have one of the small about from petco that I usually empty into his home each time I mist. Hermie has drank for the water dish that I have that sits at the bottom of his change to catch drips that come from the top from the fogger. *Hermies home likes to leak water out the bottom so this helps significantly for us*. He will also get it from the top of his home or from the leaves.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? When I had first got him it was dark with a slightly yellow/orange. Once I was able to find a store that carried cal without d3 it's been dark with all white. I gotten hermies from petco so the parasites I'm not sure.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. N/A

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? His home is all screen with a tarp wrapped around the sides and back leaving the front and top open. The dimensions are Length is 2 1/2 feet, height 2 1/2 feet, depth is 1 1/2 feet but when hes bigger he will get upgraded.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Heat lamp is flukers I know that I will post a pic of lamp details, and the uvb is exo terra uvb100 I know the uvb is all wrong for him I was going to get him a new one but got laid off work due to virus. Lights on for 12 hours off at night I usually turn them on around 10:30 *that's when my daughter wakes up usually*
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot is usually 80-90f° middle is 70-75f° and the bottom is 60-70f°. Lowest overnight temp I believe is 60f°. I honestly use my infants thermometer that can do room air ear and nose, so I just set it to room mode. I also have temp gauges inside the cage.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? His humidity is usually 50-60 during the day. Creating mist by the fogger and misting 4-5 times a day. Use a humid gauge inside cage.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Golden pothos.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Our spare room. Ceiling fan, window on other side of room, no high traffic.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Western Pa.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Not eatting crickets.

Attachments

• 20200405_195457.jpg
    20200405_195457.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 97
Hi there can you please take a picture of your chameleon, the supplements you are using, and the enclosure lights down? I am looking through your form now and this will take a lil bit.

Thank you so much for the reply, zoomed repti-cal with and without. My lights aren't down but I know I have the wrong uvb and need to get the right one. Not the best pics, but just took them now so you would have current pics. That's him from both sides.

Attachments

• 20200412_114928.jpg
    20200412_114928.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 20200412_114940.jpg
    20200412_114940.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 20200405_195659.jpg
    20200405_195659.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 109
@Hickswife42
Hi there please see my feedback and additional questions in red. This is going to be a ton of info at once. Not meant to overwhelm you but to ensure that you have all the correct information for his husbandry.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Piebald veils, male, 9-10 inches so 6-9 months? *not sure*, in my care since 2/26. 9-10 inches for just the body or is this the entire length with tail?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Been working on it with him once or twice a day. Move at his pace only using feeders to build trust is the best way to do this.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him crickets and superworms as a treat 2 times a week. In the morning he will eat about 4 crickets dusted in cal every morning, cal w/d3 twice a week and vitamin once every 2 weeks. Then mid afternoon about another 4 crickets. Crickets will get flukes high cal diet, greens,potatoes, ect. I suggest feeding all crickets in the morning so he has all day to bask and digest. Gutload needs improvement. Get rid of the flukes. Either do a variety of fresh leafy greens or by repashy bug burger. I will post an image for feeders and gutload.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repticalcium with and without d3, rep-cal multivitamins. Mon-Tues without d3, Wed with d3, Thurs-Fri without d3 and so on then every 2 weeks the multivitamins Calcium with D3 should only be given 2 times a month along with multivitamin. These should be alternated week over week. Calcium without D3 should be used at every feeding. When using supplements you will lightly dust all feeders and feed immediately.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist his home about 4-5 times a day, I also have a fogger that runs throughout the day *it actually helps keep the water on leaves better than I thought*. When I mist I usually do it for about a minutes or so, I have one of the small about from petco that I usually empty into his home each time I mist. Hermie has drank for the water dish that I have that sits at the bottom of his change to catch drips that come from the top from the fogger. *Hermies home likes to leak water out the bottom so this helps significantly for us*. He will also get it from the top of his home or from the leaves. Fogger should never be used during the day. Only at night when the lights are off and the cage is at its coolest. Running one during the day in the cage puts him at high risk for a respiratory infection. Heat plus moist air is a bad combo for them. remove the water dish. This is a source for them to ingest bacteria which can make him sick. You need a drip pan to collect water under the cage. If you must leave the dish then you need to cover it with screen so he can not drink out of it. Them drinking out of a cage is very abnormal behavior. Make sure you are misting the plant leaves down really well.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? When I had first got him it was dark with a slightly yellow/orange. Once I was able to find a store that carried cal without d3 it's been dark with all white. I gotten hermies from petco so the parasites I'm not sure. I recommend a fecal being taken to the vet to ensure he does not have parasites. this is common with chain store babies.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. N/A

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? His home is all screen with a tarp wrapped around the sides and back leaving the front and top open. The dimensions are Length is 2 1/2 feet, height 2 1/2 feet, depth is 1 1/2 feet but when hes bigger he will get upgraded. This is a large cage. did you build it? You can use window shrink wrap on the side panels to keep the mist in. Do the back and a side and check your humidity levels.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Heat lamp is flukers I know that I will post a pic of lamp details, and the uvb is exo terra uvb100 I know the uvb is all wrong for him I was going to get him a new one but got laid off work due to virus. Lights on for 12 hours off at night I usually turn them on around 10:30 *that's when my daughter wakes up usually* I know that times are hard but the proper UVB lighting is extremely important. He needs a T5HO fixture with a 5.o uvb bulb and this should run the width of the cage. He needs this so he does not develop MBD. You can get this off amazon for about 50 bucks.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot is usually 80-90f° middle is 70-75f° and the bottom is 60-70f°. Lowest overnight temp I believe is 60f°. I honestly use my infants thermometer that can do room air ear and nose, so I just set it to room mode. I also have temp gauges inside the cage. These are good if they are accurate temps. I have no experience using a baby thermometer. If this is something that you are pressing to anything in the cage I would not use it and then use on your baby though. They can carry salmonella. Honestly I would not cross anything from using with a reptile and a human.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? His humidity is usually 50-60 during the day. Creating mist by the fogger and misting 4-5 times a day. Use a humid gauge inside cage. Humidity is too high for daytime. This should drop when you stop using the fogger during the day. Good levels are 30-40% for Veileds during the day and then up to 100% at night. It should spike when you mist then drop.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Golden pothos. The more live plants the better. make sure the soil of the plants are covered with 1 inch or larger rock to keep him from eating the soil.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Our spare room. Ceiling fan, window on other side of room, no high traffic.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Western Pa.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Not eatting crickets. So this could be a number of things. His pics he looks pretty healthy but they start showing signs of illness externally normally by the time they are quite sick. It could be over supplementation of D3, Could be a normal curb if he is getting feeders everyday still they can start doing hunger strikes around 9 months old. Curbing their own intake. Could be the start of a respiratory infection. Could be a parasite issue.

Additional great links.
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-89-naturalistic-hydration-for-chameleons/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/
https://chameleonacademy.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3n4S2GRkOGfk2U8-xhaw6Q

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

Thank you so much for the reply, zoomed repti-cal with and without. My lights aren't down but I know I have the wrong uvb and need to get the right one. Not the best pics, but just took them now so you would have current pics. That's him from both sides.
Ok looks like this is an exo terra which is quite a bit smaller then the dimensions you provided. So you will need a cage upgrade. What is the multivitamin. Can you take a pic of that. I need to see the exact type so I can tell you if you need something different. :)

9-10 is the length from head to tail. I will definitely get rid of the flukers and use the picture you supplied for gut loading. I figured I was doing something wrong with supplements I've seen so many different people say so many different things cause I've wanted to do a weekly calendar for my cham so I dont lose track of it and now i can forsure. The fogger I have made changes, I forgot to update my husbandry but the fogger I only use at night and maybe for like 30 mins total throughout day but will stop that and do only night. I use a different thermometer then I do my daughter cause she had gotten 3 over the course of her first few months from family and the hospitals NICU *daughter was a micro preemie 540grams* so she is totally safe lol. Humidity we have been 30-40 through the day also forgot to update I'm horrible. Added the 2 pothos waiting for them to free also have wondering jew but not sure if safe also seen mixed answering for that.

Attachments

• 20200412_122503.jpg
    20200412_122503.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200412_122527.jpg
    20200412_122527.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 20200412_122357.jpg
    20200412_122357.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 20200412_122553.jpg
    20200412_122553.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 137
9-10 is the length from head to tail. I will definitely get rid of the flukers and use the picture you supplied for gut loading. I figured I was doing something wrong with supplements I've seen so many different people say so many different things cause I've wanted to do a weekly calendar for my cham so I dont lose track of it and now i can forsure. The fogger I have made changes, I forgot to update my husbandry but the fogger I only use at night and maybe for like 30 mins total throughout day but will stop that and do only night. I use a different thermometer then I do my daughter cause she had gotten 3 over the course of her first few months from family and the hospitals NICU *daughter was a micro preemie 540grams* so she is totally safe lol. Humidity we have been 30-40 through the day also forgot to update I'm horrible. Added the 2 pothos waiting for them to free also have wondering jew but not sure if safe also seen mixed answering for that.
Ok so cage size really is not horrible since it is a horizontal cage. You can use something like this for keeping the over spray in rather then the tarp https://www.amazon.com/Duck-10-Wind...ywords=duck+shrink+film&qid=1586709005&sr=8-1

Honestly you next purchase really needs to be the proper lighting. I know times are hard but you do not want to deal with the vet bills or health issues that go along with them developing MBD. By the time this is visible to us they are very sick. :(

So yeah like I said many reasons for them to stop eating... Monitor him and see what he ends up doing. I went through a 2 month period with my male starting at 9 months old where he did a huge curb back on eating. This can be very normal it is just making sure that is the reason and there is not an underlying issue.

Glad your not using the same thermometer lol. I have seen some crazy stuff on here so I tend to spew all the info because of those that have no idea.

Right I totally understand plus it's not like you would have known that ya know? Lol so I put I few crickets in his home earlier he dad eat 2 maybe with him shedding and the update I did to his home adding the plants and more vines he was just stressed? I will definitely try to get the light this coming week if unemployment comes through. The tarp was all I had at the time and it worked haha, and the bowl I can get rid of or maybe put something over it he does drink for it but I also make sure its fresh and cleaned everyday in the morning and always checked thought the day, I've never seen fecal in there.

With how long he is do you have a guess on how old he could be?
Ehhhh it would be a wild guess honestly. Totally depends on genetics and husbandry... But if he is hitting the 9inch mark with just body length and not the tail then I am thinking definitely more like 9 months or so.

Right I totally understand plus it's not like you would have known that ya know? Lol so I put I few crickets in his home earlier he dad eat 2 maybe with him shedding and the update I did to his home adding the plants and more vines he was just stressed? I will definitely try to get the light this coming week if unemployment comes through. The tarp was all I had at the time and it worked haha, and the bowl I can get rid of or maybe put something over it he does drink for it but I also make sure its fresh and cleaned everyday in the morning and always checked thought the day, I've never seen fecal in there.
Very possible it is a stress thing as well. They tend to drop back on feeding with sheds (although mine never has done this) but a disturbance to the cage like adding or taking away stuff can impact eating along with their personality at this age.

Let me know if you have a question on the lights when your ready. Just make sure it is a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 bulb. I would do at least a 24 inch fixture and center it in the middle of the enclosure.

I have noticed that after his shed hes been wanting to come out of the cage willingly but when he gets out he wants to try and climb inside the lights and I know that's not normal for them. Maybe hes seeking that uvb cause that's what I've been thinking honestly. I dont plan on changing anything in his home anytime soon, would I need to upgrade with my size of home? I do want to upgrade eventually to something a lot nicer like one with drain pan and bioactive but I cant currently I only rent and honestly he doesn't know i have the cham.

I have noticed that after his shed hes been wanting to come out of the cage willingly but when he gets out he wants to try and climb inside the lights and I know that's not normal for them. Maybe hes seeking that uvb cause that's what I've been thinking honestly. I dont plan on changing anything in his home anytime soon, would I need to upgrade with my size of home? I do want to upgrade eventually to something a lot nicer like one with drain pan and bioactive but I cant currently I only rent and honestly he doesn't know i have the cham.
It is always a crap shoot on them wanting out. could be he is not happy with his home. Could be he is looking for uvb. Could be he knows your the bringer of the food. Could be he has hit maturity and is looking for a girlfriend. If it is warmer and you have sun you can take him outside with you in the sun. Looking for temps at least 65 with full sun and low wind though. In the sun it will feel much warmer then the actual temp. 30 minutes each day or every other day until you get the UVB will help him. Just do not put him on a bush or a tree that he can escape into and stay with him the entire time. They are fast when they want to be and a large bird would not think twice to try to grab him.

Your dimensions are similar to the extra tall large glass exoterras. and people use those successfully. The thing is you have the horizontal space which can make up for height and depth. Now I am never one to say bigger is not better. But if you are on a budget right now then that cage will at least hold you unlike other vertical starter cages.

Build your own drip pan... get some wood do a flat piece on the bottom and 1x2 sides. put it together then you can get something like flex seal to coat the wood and make it water proof... Drill some holes in the bottom and put a bucket under to catch the water. I have seen people also use the dog crate pans. Not sure pricing on those though.

Haha honestly I have mine say inside an old Guinea pig cage you can kinda see it in this picture. Big ideas for the future though, husband and I want a big addition off our house one day for a reptile/fish room. We currently have my cham/ florida and spotted far/channel catfish/goldfish/bichir, pitbulls, cats haha. You know what else works good for dealing wood so moisture and water dont warp the wood, oil based paint. My dad was a contractor and oil based paint works great for things like that.

Attachments

• 20200412_122527.jpg
    20200412_122527.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 138
Does anyone know the brand of Uvb light it is on Amazon?
Typically you are only going to find Zoo med UVB bulbs on Amazon. If you are doing a single T5HO fixture then you need a 5.0 bulb. If you are doing a quad fixture with 4 bulbs and 1 single reflector for all bulbs you will need a 10.0. If you have a quad that has individual reflectors for each bulb you need a 5.0 bulb. The bulbs size you need is 2 inches shorter then your fixture so if you have a 24 inch fixture you need a 22 inch bulb.

Ok looks like this is an exo terra which is quite a bit smaller then the dimensions you provided. So you will need a cage upgrade. What is the multivitamin. Can you take a pic of that. I need to see the exact type so I can tell you if you need something different. :)

Its not an exoterra its a Zilla and dimensions provided were spot on. (assuming has the zilla large)

Its 30 inches wide, 30 inches tall, and 18 inches deep. Its the same size the Kammers used to breed panthers, for like ever. For a veilied, I would probably upgrade for a panther it would be fine though.

They stated them as 2.5ftx2.5ftx1.5ft, but thats 30x30x18.

This is his Cage, and its the same size as a Medium Atrium, https://www.zillarules.com/all-products/terrariums/fresh-air-screen-habitat

Which a Med Atrium is big enough for a Panther, but Veileds are a bit bigger, so theres that. Anyway, Atrium.

2020-04-21 10_17_24-Window.png

Just so I'm right with my size and everything listed above what would you recommend so I know i have the best for him

Because Velieds are a bit bigger, and of the 3 zillas like that I have (2 small and 1 big) they have since been broken into pieces, for scrap screen frame, I am not a fan lol.

Exoterra makes a 36x18x36 screen cage, I would do that, if it were me, its MUCH better quality, only a tad higher and a tad wider. However the one you have should work for quite awhile and some would say for ever.

Beman has the exact same cage size for her Veiled, or did had but was talking about upgrading it, Idk if she did.

That is assuming the dimensions you gave were right, and you have the Large, not the Small Zilla. As they are quite different size wise.

Last edited:
Its not an exoterra its a Zilla and his dimensions provided were spot on.

Its 30 inches wide, 30 inches tall, and 18 inches deep. Its the same size the Kammers used to breed panthers, for like ever. For a veilied, I would probably upgrade for a panther it would be fine though.

He stated them as 2.5ftx2.5ftx1.5ft, but thats 30x30x18.

This is his Cage, and its the same size as a Medium Atrium, https://www.zillarules.com/all-products/terrariums/fresh-air-screen-habitat

Which a Med Atrium is big enough for a Panther, but Veileds are a bit bigger, so theres that. Anyway, Atrium.

View attachment 264186

Because Velieds are a bit bigger, and of the 3 zillas like that I have (2 small and 1 big) they have since been broken into pieces, for scrap screen frame, I am not a fan lol.

Exoterra makes a 36x18x36 screen cage, I would do that, if it were me, its MUCH better quality, only a tad higher and a tad wider. However the one you have should work for quite awhile and some would say for ever.

Beman has the exact same cage size for her Veiled, or did had but was talking about upgrading it, Idk if she did.

That is assuming the dimensions you gave were right, and you have the Large, not the Small Zilla. As they are quite different size wise.
Yes I already commented back on that.

I will eventually up grade him, he is still kinda small and has a lot of room to move around. I want to upgrade and do bioactive and have like the drain pans and stuff. I was just looking for the best uvb light off amazon. Beman did a great good replying I just don't want to order the wrong thing.

Back
Top Bottom