Best Automatic misters??? Advice?

Gensen

Looking for experienced opinions on traditional spray bottle misting verses automatic misters? Any advise/suggestions? I hear that some of the automatic misters are rather noisy... any suggestions on a quite version? I like my peace! lol...
Or would you forgo automatic misters for the traditional approach is one superior to the other? Automatic sounds appealing but if the noise is an issues I think I may stick to hand misting... any input would be great!
Thanks in advance! I am currently waiting on my 1st Panther, scheduled to arrive week of September 6th!
Gensen
~Nosy be~;)

I bought a Mist King for my cham and it is pretty quiet actually. I would say the mist spray coming out of the nozzle to be on par with the loudness of the actual pump itself.

I also got a timer and a zip drip to take the pressure off the lines once the cycle has run and now all I have to worry about is keeping the reservoir full.

Speaking of reservoir water, do any of you guys use a fish tank heater to keep the water temp up? I have read before that it is best to use warm water for misting. I have been but mine just fizzed out on me so I am wondering if I should use something to keep the water warm. I am using about a 2G tank.

I recommend a mistking system, best $ ive spent on my chams enclosure. I have it mounted in a cupboard under the enclosure and I don't even hear the pump run, just the misting noise which isnt loud at all. The main reason I got it in the first place is because it is not possible for me to be home to mist a bunch of times through the day not to mention if I go away for a weekend or something. It is a major convenience for sure and worth the $ to me.

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses, I am as mentioned new to the whole thing, I have done tons of research but I know that does not replace hands on experience! I am trying to set everything up and I don't know if less is more or what! :eek:

Seems like so much to put in and pile on a smal enclosure, small because I am awaiting a baby Nosy be. So it will be a bit before I can upgrade cage sizes.

Also whats the best way to keep crickets? In a "cricket keeper" or a 10 gal tank???

Cricket keepers are cool for gutloading feeders to be fed in the near future. I fill mine from my main tub and put super fresh veggies in for the guys to eat over the next 24 hours then they ready to feed in the AM.

My main tub is a big ass Rubbermaid container with the sides cut out length wise and I hot glued some aluminum screen over the holes to stop escape. There is great ventillation in it. As it is getting cooler out as my reginon pushes towards winter. I went out and bought a few under tank heaters to keep the crickets warm and thriving. (bout 90 degrees I have read)

The main key for getting the most out of your feeders is: heat, water/food and ventilation. Cover those 3 bases and you should have minimal die offs.

Mist king system

As GhettoMike said, it's nice to not have to worry about misting when you're out for the day and it is particularly handy when you want to spend a few days away from home.
The Mist King systems are quiet and dependable, plus the timer allows you to mist up to 8 times a day for durations of your choosing.

Cricket keepers are cool for gutloading feeders to be fed in the near future. I fill mine from my main tub and put super fresh veggies in for the guys to eat over the next 24 hours then they ready to feed in the AM.

My main tub is a big ass Rubbermaid container with the sides cut out length wise and I hot glued some aluminum screen over the holes to stop escape. There is great ventillation in it. As it is getting cooler out as my reginon pushes towards winter. I went out and bought a few under tank heaters to keep the crickets warm and thriving. (bout 90 degrees I have read)

The main key for getting the most out of your feeders is: heat, water/food and ventilation. Cover those 3 bases and you should have minimal die offs.

So gutload them one day and feed them the next day???

As GhettoMike said, it's nice to not have to worry about misting when you're out for the day and it is particularly handy when you want to spend a few days away from home.
The Mist King systems are quiet and dependable, plus the timer allows you to mist up to 8 times a day for durations of your choosing.

I bookmarked this (Mistking), I think it is an investment for the future, I am home, as I work from home so misting a few times a day is no biggie, but things come up and would be nice not to worry!:eek:

I bookmarked this (Mistking), I think it is an investment for the future, I am home, as I work from home so misting a few times a day is no biggie, but things come up and would be nice not to worry!:eek:

If this is something you want to buy in the future, I would recommend to make sure you buy everything you want at once to save on shipping. The Zip Drip, seconds timer, extra hose and nozzles, etc because I had to do a few other orders and shipping was over 30 bucks per shipment.

Pro Mist

I will throw pro mist in there, just received and installed my system today and could not be happier, it is about 10 bucks cheaper then mist king, can run dry as well, has a fine mist and is VERY quiet, I was nervous about mist king and I have heard some people say the pump is noisy and have seen some videos where it was noisy but I think it was probably just poor mounting. Either way, I am putting one in there for Pro-Mist, great product, great customer service and a three year warranty!

Just an FYI...The free shipping offer will most likely be gone next week, so if you need one, now is the perfect time to pick one up. I should have stock tomorrow too, hopefully everything will be with no surprises. I hope to clear up the backorders this weekend.

Thank You guys for the recommendations, it's much appreciated!

Silkyslim...whenever you order small parts, dont use UPS, use the regular Post, it's only around $6-7

btw, Gensen to make this easier on you and take the worry out... if you get the system and you find it too loud or for whever reason you don't like it, ship it back and I"ll give you full refund. If you secure the tubing the pump is virtually silent, like ghettomike said, all you hear is the mist coming out of the nozzles....and that's only because you guys run screen enclosures. I run acrylic cubes for my frogs and don't even know when the system comes on.

Marty

Andy, the loud pump video that you've seen on YouTube, was an installation that a guy had of a pump that will run 80+ nozzles. I think he ran it with 1 or 2 nozzles, nothing was secured, so the noise actually came from rattling of the tubing...plus this was a massive 110V pump working overtime and then some. I exchanged the pump for him and all is good...asked him few times to remove the video...never got a reply back ...not sure what happened to the guy ...I also no longer sell 110V pumps, everything is low voltage now.

Yeah, big 110v pumps don't work too well, as Elisa found out on her system at ChamEO. It failed after about a year or so and it was operating 20-30 nozzles.

Low voltage is the way to go.

I like automated misting systems, thats why I build and sell them!

Also, about the cricket keeper. I would use a large rubbermaid bin. cut holes on each end and install metal screen over the holes. If you place a computer fan over one of the holes to keep air moving your crickets will last a lot longer since they are getting fresh air all the time. The smell dead crickets give off kills other crickets. so it's a good idea to keep the air moving.

Also, about the cricket keeper. I would use a large rubbermaid bin. cut holes on each end and install metal screen over the holes. If you place a computer fan over one of the holes to keep air moving your crickets will last a lot longer since they are getting fresh air all the time. The smell dead crickets give off kills other crickets. so it's a good idea to keep the air moving.

This is one of the best ideas to add onto a cricket bin! It requires some electrical/wiring knowledge, but it really helps extend the life of your crickets :D

Just ordered the mistking with zipdrip,timer,2 nozzle and wedges, think it was $170 and free shipping... can't wait until I receive it as I work nights and sleep some of the day so it will really come in handy.. Marty how many gallons per hour should I expect for drainage reasons? Running 1 nozzle.

Just ordered the mistking with zipdrip,timer,2 nozzle and wedges, think it was $170 and free shipping... can't wait until I receive it as I work nights and sleep some of the day so it will really come in handy.. Marty how many gallons per hour should I expect for drainage reasons? Running 1 nozzle.

That will depend on how often and for how long you are running the misters.

That's why I asked how many gallons per hour for 1 nozzle, shouldn't matter frequency/duration just asking for general per hour for 1 nozzle, not sure of my misting schedule yet.

Yeah, big 110v pumps don't work too well, as Elisa found out on her system at ChamEO. It failed after about a year or so and it was operating 20-30 nozzles.
Low voltage is the way to go.

Not necessarily ... I didn't have too many failures specifically with the 110V aquatec pumps. Based on number of returns, I actually found them more robust than their 24V, bit louder because of more powerful motor. I found that a percentage of the aquatec pumps work great initially, but after 1 year +, some start having issues. I'd say, 95% of the time if one of my customers had a pump failure, it was an aquatec. Then again I sold many more low voltage aquatecs than the 110V version, so who knows... I no longer have that problem :p

So far everyone I know with aquatec pumps has had them for years with no issue. My 8800 is still going, and it's been more than a year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom