Area By Area (& country) Vet list

Thorold, Ontario, Canada

WARNING

If you live in Southern Ontario, please do not take your chameleon to Thorold Veterinary Hospital! Their "reptile vet" is not as knowledgeable about chameleons as he pretends to be. I was very dissatisfied with our appointment.

I took Mr.Pink to see him, and he didn't even know how to handle him. It was nothing short of violent. He also would not listen to us in regards to symptoms, and was unable to answer many of our questions. He dismissed us, but not before taking $90.

In addition, he advised us to use commercial gutload, claiming that the large variety of fruits, veggies, and grains, were doing nothing but making the crickets happy, and that we should switch to mealworms as his primary diet.

Mr.Pink's eye has not gotten any better, in fact his other eye is now bothering him, but not as much. He's sluggish, and is having a hard time eating. The vet said he had shed in his eye, and didn't even entertain any other possibilities. No tests were run, only a harsh visual inspection.... he couldn't even manage to administer the eye drops he prescribed.

Is there anyone on here from SC that can give a recommendation for a vet? I see quite a few of them, but I don't know what any of their reputations are.

Driving distance isn't a huge ordeal, the closest one to me is 'sunset animal clinic'. I'd hate to go to a chameleon vet that doesn't know what he's doing, when I'm inexperienced myself.

Is there anyone on here from SC that can give a recommendation for a vet? I see quite a few of them, but I don't know what any of their reputations are.

Driving distance isn't a huge ordeal, the closest one to me is 'sunset animal clinic'. I'd hate to go to a chameleon vet that doesn't know what he's doing, when I'm inexperienced myself.

I'm not sure where in SC you are but Birds & Exotics Animal Care in Mount Pleasant is great. :)

Dr. Biascoechea
814 Johnnie Dodds Blvd, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
(843)216-8387

The Reptile Report Vet Directory

http://thereptilereport.com/category/vet-directory/

The above link has links to reptile vet directories for Alaska, Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Dr. Kevin Wright
Wright Bird & Exotic Pet House Calls
(480) 495-3420
www.wbeph.com

Dr. Wright is board certified in reptile medicine and has much experience with chameleons. He is phenomenal...very knowledgeable, thorough, intuitive, insightful, compassionate and extremely friendly...a very good cham vet.

i hate to update this, but Kevin passed away last year. he was such a huge personality and incredible veterinarian. his death was completely unexpected, a week after the annual ARAV conference. many in the industry are still stunned by his loss. his career was a shining example of how to do it right.

Brads vet sticky is great, but dosent really address folks needs here, dosent get noticed/used.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/veterinarian-resources-67/

Rather than link google search results which may or may not be useful,
how about you folk get together and write upCountry, Your area and Vet details, to form an ongoing 'by area' list of herp vets.

Mods could delete out the various useless posts that will appear in it, to keep it a 'clean' thread, Or could be PM'd with a listing to add , and keep it locked.
I see so many folk asking for a vet listing in specific areas, I thought it might be more useful than the current sticky.

Seems to be a crucial resource that is lacking. Lets make it better! :)

since this thread was created in 2009, the ARAV website has been upgraded to help find ARAV-member vets much more easily. the link:
http://www.arav.com/find-a-vet/

Northern AL

I didn't see any listed here for Alabama, but this is the exoctic/herp vet I found and it isn't a bad drive for me.

Companion Vet Clinic
7945 Highway 72 West
Madison, Alabama, 35758

Phone: (256) 837-3600
Fax: 256-837-4666

Email: [email protected]

Boston area, MA

The Odd Pet Vet is the best in this area. His practice is located in the New England Wildlife Center
500 Columbian Street
South Weymouth, MA 02190
Phone: 781-682-4878

His name is Dr. Greg Mertz. I think he's excellent.

Back
Top Bottom