All Too Familiar Pet Store Scene

Duke

The conversation went like this:

I: hey, you guys have a gravid female cham and she needs to be able to dig down to lay her eggs

They: Yeah, she does that sometimes. She digs around and lays an egg a day or so sometimes.

I: She needs to be put in a bucket or something with 10 inches of packed sand or something similar. Then she would lay the entire batch in one night.

They: Well, our regional manager is coming soon and he would be very angry about wasting so much substrate.

I: It will greatly stress her to not be able to dig down. The one egg a day thing is because she is desperately trying to find a place to bury them. She can become egg bound.

They: Hmmm, thank you, we'll talk about it, but she has done this before and made it.

It just breaks my heart. I would buy her just to get her out of there but she is $229. I know there are many posts like this, but I couldn't help but "vent" here.

Attachments

• cham.jpg
    cham.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
I would buy a 5 gallon bucket and enough sand for it. I would set it up for them and tell them I will be back to pick up the eggs. I would also tell them that I will be contacting corporate, and informing them that a little bit of substrate is more important to the company than the well-being of an animal.

I would buy a 5 gallon bucket and enough sand for it. I would set it up for them and tell them I will be back to pick up the eggs. I would also tell them that I will be contacting corporate, and informing them that a little bit of substrate is more important to the company than the well-being of an animal.

Thats a better idea than what went through my head. I was thinking, just take the animal, you think a petsmart employee is going to fight you? No. They have to call the cops, at witch point id be gone. Then a week later Id return the animal. Thats very aggrivating:mad: Ive picked up there misters and misted dehydrated chams in front of them. They say "HEY!" But thats about it ;)

Thats a better idea than what went through my head. I was thinking, just take the animal, you think a petsmart employee is going to fight you? No. They have to call the cops, at witch point id be gone. Then a week later Id return the animal. Thats very aggrivating:mad: Ive picked up there misters and misted dehydrated chams in front of them. They say "HEY!" But thats about it ;)

Mate, i was thinking the same when i visited a Jackson at my local petshop, fortunatley this store had the sence to listen to advice!

I: hey, you guys have a gravid female cham and she needs to be able to dig down to lay her eggs

They: Yeah, she does that sometimes. She digs around and lays an egg a day or so sometimes.

I: She needs to be put in a bucket or something with 10 inches of packed sand or something similar. Then she would lay the entire batch in one night.

They: Well, our regional manager is coming soon and he would be very angry about wasting so much substrate.

I: It will greatly stress her to not be able to dig down. The one egg a day thing is because she is desperately trying to find a place to bury them. She can become egg bound.

They: Hmmm, thank you, we'll talk about it, but she has done this before and made it.

It just breaks my heart. I would buy her just to get her out of there but she is $229. I know there are many posts like this, but I couldn't help but "vent" here.

Yep this is the one in Idaho falls huh? I had the same conversation with them and I know management very well and I told them that they could count on here dying in their store! And they told me I should buy her and I said no way at that price and what I'd have to do to get he happy and healthy again!

They just need to stop stocking chameleons period at the big box pet stores.

Ive never seen a panther at at petco before? Veileds yes, but never a panther. I wonder if that cham was ordered for someone and then never picked up? Real, shame she looked fairly healthy in the pic. Hopefully she just drops the rest of those eggs. Of course they prob wont give her any extra hydration or calcium post laying....:rolleyes::mad:

She already laid a fertile clutch that one of the dum A employees took that has no idea what he's doing I asked him how they were doing and he said fine they are incubating at 90 so I told him he cooking not incubating them and he told me I didn't know what I was talking about! And I also told them before I'd do the bucket thing for them and they said they wouldn't even bother with the hassle!

Post there phone number, and we can all call them up and "inform" them of our "displeasure" with there care. I dont think thats against the rules here...

They just need to stop stocking chameleons period at the big box pet stores.

Ive never seen a panther at at petco before? Veileds yes, but never a panther. I wonder if that cham was ordered for someone and then never picked up? Real, shame she looked fairly healthy in the pic. Hopefully she just drops the rest of those eggs. Of course they prob wont give her any extra hydration or calcium post laying....:rolleyes::mad:

This is her second round! They don't dust her feeders at all I asked!

What store?

What store?

Uh, no. Let's not post anyone's phone numbers on here. All of maybe 1-2 people will call with friendly, helpful advice and another 15 will call to rant and harass them. This won't help our cause or the animal. But anyone interested should acquire the info through PMs, that would probably limit the impulsive angry responses.

The local stores around here are lucky I never actually pick a fight with them, because I could hand them a resume with years of exotic animal experience at wildlife centers, zoos, and years of vet clinic volunteer work experience as well. So I'd love for them to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, I've been doing work like this since I was 10.

Back
Top Bottom