Digging hole sand not wet enough??

MistyBlue

I need some help! I have a 8-9 month old chameleon who is ready to lay infertile eggs. This is her first. She FINALLY dug in her laybin, I noticed this morning. Problem is, she dug a good bit on one side and I don’t think the sand is wet enough. It looks more like one side of the laybin has been dug out into the other side, a few inches down. Should I spray some water on it?? I am worried it isn’t wet enough and will collapse on her or she won’t dig there but i am worried about disturbing her also!! I already did pull back the sheet I have up to feed her but realized the didn’t eat her food from yesterday! Then I looked down and saw the sand. Question is should I just leave it and maybe spray tonight when she is asleep?? Or try to spray it with some water to make the sand the right texture. It is so hard keeping it wet enough all of the time! I have been waisint for this moment for months!! I know how important it is that she lays very soon or she will be egg bound? How long can this hole digging last!!? She was basking when I saw her a bit ago she was not still digging!

Some people just take the eggs out and u can take the container out and once she's ready to lay again u can put it back or not just leave it in . I haven't decided leave it or take it out lol

She laid 33 eggs today!!! Oh my god I’m so excited!!! Do I keep the laybin out, change the sand?
Congrats!! 33 eggs is already a good number, but try get it more reduced below 25, with temps no higher then 78 and 3 times a week 3-4 feeders. For now give her some extra's yummies to strengthen again. I would that the eggs out and leave the lay bin outside, so she knows it's in there for the next time.

As has been said, remove the eggs and dispose of them - if they aren’t fertile they will rot. Then put the bin back in. She won’t need it again for a while, but it’s one less thing for both of you to have to worry about. :)

She laid 33 eggs today!!! Oh my god I’m so excited!!! Do I keep the laybin out, change the sand?
Congratts!!!! keep the lay bin in her enclosure for next time she is ready to lay eggs, you 1. Want it to be a normal part of her enclosure so you don't stress her out by adding something in when she is already going through a lot and 2. You don't want to potentially miss her window of when she is going to lay

Thank you for all of your help! So today, she is basking and when I put her dripper up (water bottle dripping) she quickly went and drank tons of water. She did not seem interested in her crickets though. I am a bit worried bc she is sitting with her head up, star gazing. She did this when she had an upper respiratory infection. Could she be having trouble breathing? Is it normal for her to refuse food today since she just laid yesterday? I did put the laybin back in just in case she could be retaining any eggs but I don’t think she is bc she is really skinny. She’s very thirsty though so I am glad she drank but no food. Any thoughts??

Can you share a picture of her doing this please?

Interesting that she won’t eat but I’d imagine she is thirsty from laying all those eggs.

Back
Top Bottom