Abnormal shedding

Where can I find a good, but cheap lamp and plants
For a cheap lamp if you mean heat, you can still use what you have as long as the bulb is correct as suggested before (no colored bulb, non LED etc.) and the temp is right
If you mean the UVB (Linear T5 5.0 HO UVB) it becomes a little harder. I ordered mine from LLC Reptile and got the 36in Arcadia one for $35, but I had to buy a 34 inch bulb from Petco online for $14. I will link you a zoomed 24inch T5 for $50, but it already has a light included so kinda the same price: http://www.lllreptile.com/products/22467-zoo-med-24-t5-high-output-terrarium-hood

Plants, start with one large one, a bush or tree type (Cham safe). I used an umbrella plant as my center plant. Both Lowe’s and Home Depot had it for the same price aka $17-20. Walmart, Lowe’s, and Home Depot sometimes do clearance Plants which is helpful $ wise. I got a pothos for $7 bc it was overstock from Walmart. Make sure the soil is covered with large smooth rocks so your Cham doesn’t try to munch the soil.

Waxworks are high in fat and are not a good solo feeder to use. I know there is one petco in Lansing, if they did have calci worms it would be in the small little fridge in the reptile/bug section. I missed them the first time I looked.

Ok so for the egg laying, I understand you know that situation, I have a male so if anyone needs to correct me go ahead but I hear the best thing to use when making an egg laying bin is reptile play sand such as this: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...1ljtLeQbB9jX9nCV_rIaAj2aEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

As for supplements you want to give them calcium without d3 or phosphorus every feeding and multivitamins with d3 2x a month say the 1st and the 15th of every month. good brands are these: https://www.chewy.com/flukers-calcium-without-vitamin-d3/dp/126184?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Fluker's&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA88X_BRDUARIsACVMYD-x6WVDKY0ZVZIQ9sTUpTyoOErS6VkWV6cuxOEU_bROdHaxvGET8n8aAhamEALw_wcB

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...00CAooClgF3iJe4_fbIaAp4zEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

as for the light, you will need a heat light. I recommend a 75w bulb (I wouldnt recommend using blue or red light) and you will need a th50 24 inch UVB hood to cover the whole cage so you prevent any further damage of chances of chameleons getting MBD. http://www.lllreptile.com/products/..._bHSPMXkz-wEhzAas9VHVCoyQvlTbywgaAqj-EALw_wcB

I got mine (same brand) for $50 which is a good price for these. Also technically the cheapest you can find.

As for gutloading and buying plants, just follow the guide given above and make sure the plants are not toxic. I use a corn plant for mine which works very well and gives him a lot of coverage. pothos are really good as well, a lot of chameleon owners use pothos. https://www.reptileadvisor.com/plants-for-chameleons/

if you have any questions let me know!!
Never ever use reptile calci sand for any reptiles. This is the stuff that causes impaction. Regular play sand from a home improvement store is what’s used for lay bins.

@kinyonga already told you about limiting feeding. She is who I’ve learned from :) You want to keep basking temps no higher than 80. This keeps metabolism slow enough so they don’t feel as hungry. I give my girls 3-4 feeders 3 days a week, all dusted with the appropriate supplements. However, right now your priority needs to be getting the correct supplements and correct uvb to help correct her mbd. Not knowing where she is in her lady cycle, I would say feed her 3-4 feeders every other day. For the liquid calcium, I’m afraid you’ll really need a vet to tell you how to use it. In the meantime, get and use the supplements I’ve told you.
For the lay bin, you’ve already been provided the video. This graphic may help too. I suggest preparing it and making it a permanent part of her enclosure. That way you won’t have to guess when she needs it and she won’t have stress from a new item in her home when looking to lay. Avoid using anything other than play sand and/or organic soil. It needs to be kept moist enough so that it will hold a tunnel without collapsing. Do keep in mind that they don’t dig straight down, but go at an angle and one of mine just digs her way across.
070A680B-7384-4E33-84CD-1BFEF02D0D48.jpeg

For feeding, use that as a time to try and build your cham’s trust. Use a deli type cup (tall preferably) to put your feeders in and hold it out so she can see it, but not so close that she’ll get defensive. Move slow and be patient. Sometimes it helps to look away rather than make eye contact. I fed my ladies like this for over a year and while they still hate me, they do know I’ll never hurt them and am ok for a human.

For feeding, use that as a time to try and build your cham’s trust. Use a deli type cup (tall preferably) to put your feeders in and hold it out so she can see it, but not so close that she’ll get defensive. Move slow and be patient. Sometimes it helps to look away rather than make eye contact. I fed my ladies like this for over a year and while they still hate me, they do know I’ll never hurt them and am ok for a human.
i honestly dont have enough money for a vet checkup, is there anyway i can feed her feed with dusted calcium, and calcium drops?

i honestly dont have enough money for a vet checkup, is there anyway i can feed her feed with dusted calcium, and calcium drops?
i dont want to have to give her up, but i also dont want her to die

Unfortunately this is something that needs to be addressed by a vet. Improving supplementation and husbandry will help make sure she stays healthy once she recovers, but she needs to be treated for MBD. This requires a vet visit in addition to the corrections in husbandry @MissSkittles went over with you. This is to make sure that the proper tests are run, and the proper dose of calcium is determined and administered in the correct way, as well as any other treatments deemed necessary. Trying to fix something like this at home without the tools or knowledge required and without vet guidance may only prolong disease and cause more harm. Because she's a female, this makes the situation a little more delicate as opposed to a male cham. Please don't misinterpret this as rude, I'm just trying to be straightforward since MBD is a serious disease, and we just want what's best for your cham. I've tagged a vet who's on this forum who may be able to provide more guidance/advice on this issue.

@ferretinmyshoes

i dont want to have to give her up, but i also dont want her to die
Maybe if there’s a reptile rescue near you, you can call them for help. Let them know you don’t want to surrender her...just need help correcting her mbd and explain your situation. Most important now is the uvb and supplements. It’s not just calcium she needs. Without proper uvb and correct amounts of D3, she can’t process the calcium into a usable form. The biggest hurdle will be with egg laying.
Mbd isn’t a death sentence unless it isn’t treated at all. I know times are really tough all over, but maybe you can ask family if they can help out at all to get her a vet visit. Maybe a neighbor or someone else you know has some odd jobs you can do to earn some cash. Call around and see what your local exotics vets charge for a visit. You have a veterinary school in E Lansing. Give them a call. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. https://cvm.msu.edu/

Maybe if there’s a reptile rescue near you, you can call them for help. Let them know you don’t want to surrender her...just need help correcting her mbd and explain your situation. Most important now is the uvb and supplements. It’s not just calcium she needs. Without proper uvb and correct amounts of D3, she can’t process the calcium into a usable form. The biggest hurdle will be with egg laying.
Mbd isn’t a death sentence unless it isn’t treated at all. I know times are really tough all over, but maybe you can ask family if they can help out at all to get her a vet visit. Maybe a neighbor or someone else you know has some odd jobs you can do to earn some cash. Call around and see what your local exotics vets charge for a visit. You have a veterinary school in E Lansing. Give them a call. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. https://cvm.msu.edu/
I called my local vet, and they said it would cost 200 DOLLARS. I don't have enough for that, any other ideas?

That was the only vet in my area that deals with reptiles. I called a rescue, and he said if it isn't severe, just dust his crickets with calcium once or twice a week, and he'll be fine.
Dusting once or twice a week with calcium is maintenance...they need more calcium than that to build the bones, muscles etc back up. If you don't take proper action she will just get worse and suffer and die.

That was the only vet in my area that deals with reptiles. I called a rescue, and he said if it isn't severe, just dust his crickets with calcium once or twice a week, and he'll be fine.
200 dollars is quite a lot unfortunately.
Unfortunately I don't think this was good advice. A healthy cham gets feeders dusted w/calcium or multivitamin at all (or most) feedings. MBD treatment requires more.

200 dollars is quite a lot unfortunately.
Unfortunately I don't think this was good advice. When a chameleon is healthy they're supposed to get feeders dusted w/calcium 3x +/week. MBD treatment requires more.
Should I do it 4x a week with 1 calcium drop every other month?

Should I do it 4x a week with 1 calcium drop every other month?
I am not a vet and cannot tell you the proper dosage of calcium to treat MBD. All I know is that dusting the feeders with calcium at feedings is a maintenance schedule and is not enough to treat this disease. Vets prescribe Rx calcium based on weight and severity of disease, and I cannot make recommendations for this.

I am not a vet and cannot tell you the proper dosage of calcium to treat MBD. All I know is that dusting the feeders with calcium at feedings is a maintenance schedule and is not enough to treat this disease.
My thought process is that if they are gonna make 200 dollars off of me just for giving him a calcium shot, why can it just be taken orally. Excess calcium comes out if a chameleon when they poop.

Back
Top Bottom