Panther reluctant to use one of his hind legs

Hi,

I've noticed our male panther, which is about 20 months old and is reluctant to use one of his hind legs.

We are not aware of any falls.

He did recently do an abnormally large poo (which otherwise looked healthy).

He's almost completed his shedding.

He is recently holding his leg at an unusual angle (see pics)

Some info on his care:
- Fed ~4 days per week, mostly crickets but some variety.
- ARCADIA D3+ UV T5 REPTILE FOREST FLUORESCENT bulb (~5 months old)
- Calcium Without D3 every feed, which is around 4 days per week.
- Multi once every other week.

Any thoughts?

Thanks x

1709549055271.png
1709549068248.png

Hey there so right off looking at the image you are using bamboo poles... Unfortunately these are really slick when wet and really do not have a good grip surface for chams. This may be part of the issue if he slipped off a branch or lost grip.

Is he only holding it like that or is he rotating it and holding it more normally?

Hey there so right off looking at the image you are using bamboo poles... Unfortunately these are really slick when wet and really do not have a good grip surface for chams. This may be part of the issue if he slipped off a branch or lost grip.

Is he only holding it like that or is he rotating it and holding it more normally?

Thanks. The bamboo is only a small part. The rest of the vivarium is covered by normal branches, and that is where his left hind leg is on. I've not seen him be insecure when on this particular area, so I don't *think* that is a risk, but I will keep an eye on that.

Thanks. The bamboo is only a small part. The rest of the vivarium is covered by normal branches, and that is where his left hind leg is on. I've not seen him be insecure when on this particular area, so I don't *think* that is a risk, but I will keep an eye on that.

Apologies, I thought I answered that by saying his left hind leg is on a normal branch. He isn't rotating it, and seems quite solid on it, If I haven't answered the question, perhaps try and re-word as I seems I haven't understood rather than repeating it?

At the moment, i'm less concerned about this and more worried about his potential condition. Can we bring the topic back to that please? Thanks (y)

Hi. How are you giving him vitamin D3?
I too am wondering about how he’s holding his right back leg. He is holding it at an awkward position. Is that not the leg that you are concerned about?

Hi. How are you giving him vitamin D3?
I too am wondering about how he’s holding his right back leg. He is holding it at an awkward position. Is that not the leg that you are concerned about?

Yes, that is the leg I am concerned about.

Repti Calcium every feed, and Nutri Cal every-other-week.

Thanks

1709569722963.png

Yes, that is the leg I am concerned about.

Repti Calcium every feed, and Nutri Cal every-other-week.

Thanks

View attachment 352457
I had to look up the NutriCal and from what I can find, it does seem to contain a good amount of D3. From the way he’s holding his leg, I’m more inclined to think it’s some sort of injury rather than a husbandry issue. His leg almost looks displaced. He may have had a fall that you don’t know about in which he injured that leg. I don’t know how active he’s been recently, but many of the males are feeling the urges to find a lady and have been over active and some to the point of falling. Plus, as has been pointed out, the bamboo may have been wet and he slipped. I would advise a vet visit to have him checked for injury.

Apologies, I thought I answered that by saying his left hind leg is on a normal branch. He isn't rotating it, and seems quite solid on it, If I haven't answered the question, perhaps try and re-word as I seems I haven't understood rather than repeating it?

At the moment, i'm less concerned about this and more worried about his potential condition. Can we bring the topic back to that please? Thanks (y)
That is what I am trying to help you with... I am asking if he is holding the leg only in the position you took the pic in or if he is using it normally? If he is not rotating that leg and is keeping it in that specific position then yes something is wrong. Could be a fracture or something more substantial happening. If that is the case you would need to get him into a vet and have them do an xray to see if there is a fracture.

Back
Top Bottom