Abnormal shedding

My thought process is that if they are gonna make 200 dollars off of me just for giving him a calcium shot, why can it just be taken orally. Excess calcium comes out if a chameleon when they poop.
It's more than just a calcium shot. Vets go to school to learn how to properly diagnose and treat disease, and you are paying them for their expertise. They also have the knowledge to make sure she gets the right dose of calcium based on size, severity of disease, etc. MBD is a common disease in reptiles, but it isn't necessarily a simple treatment & there could be complications. If you just guess at how much calcium she needs without proper guidance, it may not be right & she could ultimately die from complications.

I like @MissSkittles idea of calling a vet school to see if they'll see her. I've never done this before but it's better than nothing if you don't have the money to take her to the local reptile vet.

Have you called the veterinary college? Not sure if they would help, but it’s worth a shot...will give some of their students an experience with a chameleon with mbd, which is too commonly seen.
Just got off the phone with them, and they said it would be 135 just for a check-up, and additional fees for the shots.

Just got off the phone with them, and they said it would be 135 just for a check-up, and additional fees for the shots.
Wow, that’s crazy. I had a vet visit a while ago for my cham and it costed around $500 but, we had a ton of stuff done and got meds for him. It’s crazy that it would be $135 just for a checkup and to have extra fees for the shots.

Wow, that’s crazy. I had a vet visit a while ago for my cham and it costed around $500 but, we had a ton of stuff done and got meds for him. It’s crazy that it would be $135 just for a checkup and to have extra fees for the shots.
Yeah it's not cheap. Keeping a cham is already expensive to begin with, but with health issues and vet visits it can get real pricey.

Yeah it's not cheap. Keeping a cham is already expensive to begin with, but with health issues and vet visits it can get real pricey.
yeah money is something people have to be aware of when owning one.

I'd say my parents have blown probably at least 1k for each cham not to mention vet and food costs... not cheap at all.

For a cheap lamp if you mean heat, you can still use what you have as long as the bulb is correct as suggested before (no colored bulb, non LED etc.) and the temp is right
If you mean the UVB (Linear T5 5.0 HO UVB) it becomes a little harder. I ordered mine from LLC Reptile and got the 36in Arcadia one for $35, but I had to buy a 34 inch bulb from Petco online for $14. I will link you a zoomed 24inch T5 for $50, but it already has a light included so kinda the same price: http://www.lllreptile.com/products/22467-zoo-med-24-t5-high-output-terrarium-hood

Plants, start with one large one, a bush or tree type (Cham safe). I used an umbrella plant as my center plant. Both Lowe’s and Home Depot had it for the same price aka $17-20. Walmart, Lowe’s, and Home Depot sometimes do clearance Plants which is helpful $ wise. I got a pothos for $7 bc it was overstock from Walmart. Make sure the soil is covered with large smooth rocks so your Cham doesn’t try to munch the soil.

Waxworks are high in fat and are not a good solo feeder to use. I know there is one petco in Lansing, if they did have calci worms it would be in the small little fridge in the reptile/bug section. I missed them the first time I looked.
Thank you to whoever made they generous donation, I am going to buy gonna a new ubv now. I just don't know which to buy. Should I buy a bulb http://www.lllreptile.com/products/35821-arcadia-d3-6-uvb-t5-bulb--22, or should I buy the one I quoted.

Thank you so much I reallllllly appreciate you're making a big difference for me and my Chameleon. Thanks a bunch!
Get the Zoo Med T5 HO. It includes the fixture and the 5.0 bulb. As recommended by MissSkittles in her excellent response to the issues, make sure the basking branch is 8”-9” below the uvb bulb so you don’t expose her to too much or too little UVB. You should go back to that advice from MissSkittles and review it carefully. Good Luck🤞 Please do all you can for this girl.

Back
Top Bottom