48" Tube Fixtures, Cheap!

Ryan, with all the chams you have, I've always wondered why you didn't use them.
Imagine the electricity you can save and all the cords into one socket is almost eliminated.
You don't need one of the expensive crappy hoods over each cage.
I cover three 18x18x36's with these and it fits perfect over three 16x16x30's.

The Chams just came so fast I wasn't thinking. Now I have time to think.:D I am figuring all this stuff out. I am going to pick up a few of these and stream line some stuff.

I am now having to separate my Cham "ROOMS" so one area is higher humidity and cooler and then the panther/veiled area. I have two herp mist systems so I can run different mist schedules. Quite the operation:p

The reduction in plugs in the wall would be really nice.:)

the only thing I don't like about these fiuxtures is that they are magnetic ballasts. They emit a vibrating/ humming noise. So do most of the reptile/aquarium lighting fixtures though. It may not be that noticable to you, but put your ear near the balllast. you can come over to my house and put your ear on my aquarium and see for yourself if you think your animals are comfortable with the constant humm produced by most of the fixtures on the market.

Electronic ballasted fixtures are really much better as they do not produce this hum, they also are not as hard on the bulbs on start up (ever notice the flicker with magnetic ballasts), resutling in longer bulb life. They are also only maybe 10 dollars or less more.

the only thing I don't like about these fiuxtures is that they are magnetic ballasts. They emit a vibrating/ humming noise. So do most of the reptile/aquarium lighting fixtures though. It may not be that noticable to you, but put your ear near the balllast. you can come over to my house and put your ear on my aquarium and see for yourself if you think your animals are comfortable with the constant humm produced by most of the fixtures on the market.

Electronic ballasted fixtures are really much better as they do not produce this hum, they also are not as hard on the bulbs on start up (ever notice the flicker with magnetic ballasts), resutling in longer bulb life. They are also only maybe 10 dollars or less more.

Sounds great but do you have a site or store you can show us that has them for a decent price? The humming kills me and we all want longer living bulbs.

They sell them at home depot and such as well. You just need to look on the label and read if it's a magnetic ballast or electronic. You can also get single ballsast everywhere and replace your old one if your handy.

Funny how the display model has one of the two bulbs not lit up LOL... Good job, Home Depot. I used these same fixtures over my chams, now use them over my torties. I pay $7-something for them here in Vegas. I keep a few extra brand new ones in my show trailer in case one of them isn't working properly.

HD481.jpg

Also, dont get the like item at LOWES... They dont work worth a damn with the 5.0 bulbs. When getting the cheap shop lights just get them from the depot.

AIGHT... It is operating on top of my free range. BTW it isn't finished! Still need to add the plants :eek:

As you can see.... Henry LOVES his heat lamp LOL

I placed the lamp onto cork pads I had from IKEA.

IMG_8448.jpg

I did have an issue with it humming when I first plugged in the fixture. BUT the 'grow' light I had installed next to the 5.0 UVB lamp didn't fire up. I think the 'grow' light was bad... i placed another 5.0 into the fixture and both lamps worked fine, with no hum.

Last edited:
I second that electronic ballasts are the way to go. They can be bought as stated for 10 bucks more at the depot. I also believe the ones sold at walmart might be electronic.

AIGHT... It is operating on top of my free range. BTW it isn't finished! Still need to add the plants :eek:

As you can see.... Henry LOVES his heat lamp LOL

I placed the lamp onto cork pads I had from IKEA.

IMG_8448.jpg

I did have an issue with it humming when I first plugged in the fixture. BUT the 'grow' light I had installed next to the 5.0 UVB lamp didn't fire up. I think the 'grow' light was bad... i placed another 5.0 into the fixture and both lamps worked fine, with no hum.

if that grow light isnt a t12 if wont work. I had the same problem with some repti glo lights i had

I don't like the fact that the fixture rests on the bulbs on these. On mine I have wood to hold them upon the sides off the bulbs, looks like summoner did that too. Either that or you hang it with the chain it comes with. I just invested in the fancy diamond plate ones Dave was talking about mainly because the reflector come down far enough to hold it up, and because it reflects more light.

I don't like the fact that the fixture rests on the bulbs on these. On mine I have wood to hold them upon the sides off the bulbs, looks like summoner did that too. Either that or you hang it with the chain it comes with. I just invested in the fancy diamond plate ones Dave was talking about mainly because the reflector come down far enough to hold it up, and because it reflects more light.

The diamond plate shop light does reflect more and have a larger reflector than this model. I guess I figure $10 vs. $30 is enough of a price difference that I can just use aluminum foil as a reflector. The issue with the lamps being the support for the fixture doesn't bother me that much, I don't like it a TON... but like I said, it sits on a cork pad.

Back
Top Bottom