48" Tube Fixtures, Cheap!

I was at Home Depot tonight. I was going to buy my normal 19 dollar dual 48" fixture.... I wandered down to the 'shop light' display to tell my GF about a shoplight Dave Weldon had told me about. The fixture he and I had talked about was the diamond plated shop light. He had told me the output was higher because of the reflection of light from the chrome. Next to it was a fixture for 1/3 of the price! So I looked at it.. and decided.... $9.79 was decent for a dual T12 fixture, and would give it a try.

Reasons I was interested:

1. Price!
  2. Reflector
  3. Power cord included
  4. Hanging hardware (chain)

Once I get it up and running I will post some more pics. These are pics I took with my iPhone at the store.

HD481.jpg

HD482.jpg

HD483.jpg

That's the one I got in canada, for $17ca. The good thing about this one besides the price is it can power up the zoomeds T12's, also being a double light, you can use one 5.0 UVB bulb and one 2.0 or a regular day light. Highly recommended fixtures. Not easy to find.

Last night was the first time I had seen that fixture before. I have not shopped around about three different home depot's in the past.... never seen that one before.

Maybe this thread will help others to be aware of them.

These are ok to use as long as you have your UVB bulb in it? I wanted to up grade my hood but those things are so expensive!!! I think that my tree (ficus) needs more light...it keeps dropping leaves (a lot).

That's right Dante, in the picture shows "bulbs sold separetly" You need two bulbs to power it up. But 2 UVB (let's say 5.0) bulbs would be too much, for your cham, I would suggest, use one UVB with a 5.0 and one bulb with a regular bulb (you can purchase this one at Home Depot as well) or a 2.0 UVB

That's great!!! I just didn't know if a normal bulb would be safe for my Mellers....right now he has a 10.0 UVB bulb and a heating bulb (I was told that is what she/he needed). I will get him a new fixture!!! YEAH Thanks

That is awesome, I am going to grab a couple today

THANKS!!!!!!

Ryan, with all the chams you have, I've always wondered why you didn't use them.
Imagine the electricity you can save and all the cords into one socket is almost eliminated.
You don't need one of the expensive crappy hoods over each cage.
I cover three 18x18x36's with these and it fits perfect over three 16x16x30's.

I've been using these exact fixtures (there's several brands of them, home depot or Lowes) for about 7 or 8 years. I've bought new ones here and there, so now I have about 8 fixtures total. My father had noticed that I was using them, and remarked that they were "disposable" fixtures - cheap, and they lack a replacable ballast, like the better ones.

True, true - when the ballast is shot, the thing is garbage.

However, I'm still using the fixtures I bought 7 or 8 years ago. I've not had one crap out on me yet.

Stick a reptisun 10.0 in one, a standard tube in the other side, and you're good to go. Smaller cage, use a 5.0.

Also - if you have never looked at the 48" bulbs, you'll be kinda horrified at the price. You pay $20 or more for an 18" or 36" fixture vs. $8 for a 48" fixture - and the zoomed bulbs are THE EXACT SAME PRICE (usually)!

It's a lot cheaper to use 48" bulbs than any other size - About $30 total. $20 for the reptisun, $2 for the standard bulb, and $8 for the fixture. Probably spend more than that on a smaller fixture alone.

To add to that, a 48" fixture will cover two cages nicely.

I've been using these exact fixtures (there's several brands of them, home depot or Lowes) for about 7 or 8 years. I've bought new ones here and there, so now I have about 8 fixtures total. My father had noticed that I was using them, and remarked that they were "disposable" fixtures - cheap, and they lack a replacable ballast, like the better ones.

However, I'm still using the fixtures I bought 7 or 8 years ago. I've not had one crap out on me yet.

Stick a reptisun 10.0 in one, a standard tube in the other side, and you're good to go. Smaller cage, use a 5.0.

Also - if you have never looked at the 48" bulbs, you'll be kinda horrified at the price. You pay $20 or more for an 18" or 36" fixture vs. $8 for a 48" fixture - and the zoomed bulbs are THE EXACT SAME PRICE (usually)!

It's a lot cheaper to use 48" bulbs than any other size - About $30 total. $20 for the reptisun, $2 for the standard bulb, and $8 for the fixture. Probably spend more than that on a smaller fixture alone.

To add to that, a 48" fixture will cover two cages nicely.

wow good to know those cheap fixtures have ballasts in them. I had a reptiglo 5.0 48" i got on clearance for $5 and tried using it but after reading the info on the fixture, they cant power t8 bulbs. The housing that i tried putting it in doesnt work anymore and i had to throw the fixture out. Must have been the ballast. I wondered how the hell such a basic fixture could just "burn out" cause i thought all they were is a plug, aluminum hosing, and some cables inside lol.

I have this fixture and have been using two 5.0 bulbs. My cham has a large cage (43' high x 31' wide x 20' deep. Also on the top it has two layers of screen (regular screen and 1/4' thicker screen) for exrta support so it want cave in when I sit stuff on top of the cage. Do you think that two 5.0's is too much for this cage? Jann

My father had noticed that I was using them, and remarked that they were "disposable" fixtures - cheap, and they lack a replacable ballast, like the better ones.

I am pretty sure you can replace the ballast. It has screws to be removed..... I just can't imagine it would be worth the cost of a new ballast over the cost of a new fixture.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom