Zeke & Cami: Egg UPDATE

Chiichan

So Cami's clutch of 59 has been reduced to 32 now. It appears that the molded eggs were likely unfertilized.

The remaining healthy eggs are doing just fine. They are kept at a temp range of 72-76 degrees F throughout the day and drop a few degrees at night. (No incubator)

Thankfully we are spoiled with pretty warm temperatures here in socal. :)

Our two crestie eggs (from Sofi and Shredder) are doing great as well! They will be due to hatch in a month or so.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 85
Zeke (Dad):
approx. 7.5 months old
Bought from petco
Length unknown (I have yet to measure him)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 101
Cami (Mom):
About 14months Old
Last I measured, she was 12in.
Also bought from petco

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 89
They are both really nice looking chams. I hope you have great success with the eggs. I know you lost some but wow taking care of that many babies, I can't even imagine it!!!

I'm curious, was Petco able to give you lineage information for the parents? I would have been concerned that they may have familial ties having bought them from the same chain pet store.

They are both really nice looking chams. I hope you have great success with the eggs. I know you lost some but wow taking care of that many babies, I can't even imagine it!!!

I'm curious, was Petco able to give you lineage information for the parents? I would have been concerned that they may have familial ties having bought them from the same chain pet store.
Thanks!

Honestly I did think about that, but I had already had them for months before it crossed my mind. (Shame on me :( )

Hopefully they aren't though. According to my instagram posts, we've had Cami for 39wks and Zeke for 24 weeks. Which means we bought them 3 months apart, both being approx 2 months of age AT THE TIME we bought bought them on SEPARATE occasions.

I even had to wait a week for Zeke because they didn't have any males at the time I went in to purchase a cham. They were nice enough to special order me a male. :)

I'm super excited to have these babies, but deathly afraid of anything bad happening to them! Thankfully I have this forum and all its wonderful members to help me through the process! :D

I have several friends already interested in some and I'm demanding a view of their enclosures and that they do their research on care and needs prior to me even considering they are fit to have my babies! A bit harsh but I won't be handing them off to newbies. (Like I was... Buying our female on a whim) :(

This forum has saved and helped me many times and I will be sending all my baby cham owners here.

I'm sure the babies will be ok, I was more curious if Petco had more info on their chams than Petsmart does...they never even know the sex...

Its good that you are going to screen owners. Maybe you can crate a care sheet to give them with their new chams and one before with a list of all the things they need to have to be ready.

We most definitely were all new at this (I still am in my mind) and I laugh sometimes and say that my boys have survived despite my care....no, wait...I say that about my kids....Oh well...you know what I mean.

Now you have the waiting game, thats what would be so difficult for me. I'm an instant gratification kind of person. I used to always keep live bearer fish....

I'm sure the babies will be ok, I was more curious if Petco had more info on their chams than Petsmart does...they never even know the sex...

Its good that you are going to screen owners. Maybe you can crate a care sheet to give them with their new chams and one before with a list of all the things they need to have to be ready.

We most definitely were all new at this (I still am in my mind) and I laugh sometimes and say that my boys have survived despite my care....no, wait...I say that about my kids....Oh well...you know what I mean.

Now you have the waiting game, thats what would be so difficult for me. I'm an instant gratification kind of person. I used to always keep live bearer fish....
OH! Haha! Yea... Petco just gave us teir care sheet pamphlets to go off of. I went there the other day and one of the employees were showing a family one of their veilds. He called it a boy... when it was clearly a female.

I immediately went online after getting our female to do more research and found this forum. :)

Making a care sheet is a great idea! I'll start working on that. Thanks!

I'm far from experienced for sure! I don't have any kids so you've got a head start on that one. Haha! Although I have worked with kids a lot in my employment field, so maybe I'm not TOO far behind on that one. :p

The waiting game is agonizing! I know it will all be worth it in the end though. Considering this is my 1st time owning a cham and breeding anything, I'm gonna be one anxious, stressed, and excited mommy! :D

I am a little bit confused. How could you have bought your two chameleons 3 months apart when they were both the same age ( 2 months old) but claim now that one of them is nearly twice the age as the other one?

Female chameleon purchased at 2 months of age, three months later a male is purchased also 2 months old. Making your female a maximum of 3 months older.

SO if you're correct with the age of your male ( 7.5 months old) that would make your female 10.5 months old, not 14 months old.......

Is this just oversight or an attempt to avoid the backlash that most people receive when they talk of breeding chameleons who have yet to reach the 1 year mark?

Or perhaps you just didn't explain yourself clearly? Or even more possible, It's my mistake!

I am a little bit confused. How could you have bought your two chameleons 3 months apart when they were both the same age ( 2 months old) but claim now that one of them is nearly twice the age as the other one?

Female chameleon purchased at 2 months of age, three months later a male is purchased also 2 months old. Making your female a maximum of 3 months older.

SO if you're correct with the age of your male ( 7.5 months old) that would make your female 10.5 months old, not 14 months old.......

Is this just oversight or an attempt to avoid the backlash that most people receive when they talk of breeding chameleons who have yet to reach the 1 year mark?

Or perhaps you just didn't explain yourself clearly? Or even more possible, It's my mistake!

I just found the receipt and form the store has you fill out for the purchase (for Cami) and it's dated "8/6/13". SO... It would appear she would be 19months old total?!? (Including the 2 month approximation of age when she was bought)

Wow, I'm WAY off then...

Sorry for the confusion, and thank you for the verification. :)

Back
Top Bottom