CB Melleri Egg Update

chams1

I have gotten a few requests for an update on those CB Melleri eggies that are cooking at my house, so here goes:

For background information, see https://www.chameleonforums.com/update-melleri-eggs-38019/. The temps have been kept 68-72 degrees at all times and yesterday was the 2 month incubation mark for this clutch.

I had some issues a few weeks ago, however. In 2 of the bins (1 in particular), I noticed that most of the eggs were developing some "fuzz" on the egg. It was almost like the beginnings of mold, but not all-out mold. I have had other species' eggs mold over before and this was looking slightly different. I didn't think it was too wet in there to harbor mold growth but I still put out my feelers anyway for possible solutions to this. I have been anxietal about these eggs since they were laid (for obvious reasons) and I was not about to lose 15+ at one time. A couple of people told me that they have used anti-fungal foot powder before on eggs for mold (whether cham eggs or otherwise) so I figured I would give it a shot. So, I went and got some Lotrimin anti-fungal foot powder at the local Walgreens (it was the only kind they had in powder form) and I carefully made a thin line of powder in a criss-cross pattern in between all the eggs. I was certainly not going to place it directly on the egg just in case. SHAZAM!!! The next day...... no more fuzz!

Then, I had another issue: The eggs in the perlite containers didn't look so hot and 3 of them had oozed out and were beginning to mold over. It was obvious that those 3 had died, so I took them out and cut them open to see if there was an embryo inside. No embryos in those, so I didn't feel so bad that those ones had "died". But, I still wasn't too keen on the perlite. It was entirely too dry so I added a bit of water. Then it seemed to soak the stuff and I was worried about the remaining eggs getting too wet, so I decided to just replace the substrate alltogether in those 2 bins and just went with the vermiculite, which I am very familiar with. Right after I put the eggs back in, you could see the moisture going into the eggs. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing, but when I checked in on them the next day, they looked really good, which put me at ease (a little). :)

So, after the 3 that died, we are still at 56 eggs that are still going strong. :D

Sounds good so far! Bet you can't wait! I'll have my fingers crossed for some more of these little cb beasties....

Thanks for update!

Thanks for the update Julie! I've heard about the foot powder remedy too. Never tried it though. It's good to hear a brand name and to hear that you just put it between the eggs and not on them and it still managed to kill the stuff on the eggs.

What a nice number of eggs you have. I'm drooling at the possibility that so many could hatch! When they do I hope you will take some video of them as well as still photos. A video of them would be watched over and over by your fellow Melleri fanatics!

Awsome Julie I am pretty sure you will have some hatchlings!:)

56 is alot though!
Cant wait til I get some mellers.

How long have yours been incubating?

Thanks everyone! I have been on pins and needles!! :eek:

Thanks for the update Julie! I've heard about the foot powder remedy too. Never tried it though. It's good to hear a brand name and to hear that you just put it between the eggs and not on them and it still managed to kill the stuff on the eggs.

What a nice number of eggs you have. I'm drooling at the possibility that so many could hatch! When they do I hope you will take some video of them as well as still photos. A video of them would be watched over and over by your fellow Melleri fanatics!

Actually, some of the powder came out all at once (of course) right on one of the eggs when I was doing this :eek:, so I quickly (but gently) brushed it off and I know that some remained, so I think it's safe to say that it may not directly affect the egg if in direct contact.

Well, if history plays any part of this, I will not see them hatch. :p Newbie has laid (as do most of my chams) all of her clutches when I am not home and, most of the time, out of town (I was out your way when she laid her 2nd clutch!). So, looks like I need to start planning that trip. LOL. :D Have you watched Mike's video he took a couple years ago of his CH's hatching? Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYkzEt8Q6gw How amazing! But I will certainly get whatever footage or pics I can. :D

Awsome Julie I am pretty sure you will have some hatchlings!:)

56 is alot though!
Cant wait til I get some mellers.

How long have yours been incubating?

Her previous (infertile) clutches were 74 (June, 2009) and 92 (September, 2009), so 56 fertile is right on the money (although I started with 60). However, I will be extatic with ANY number. :D

They have been incubating for exactly 2 months now, which is (give or take) about the half-way mark.

Last edited:
Congrats Julie. I have been looking forward for this thread for awhile. I pray that all your eggs stay strong and hatch out with no problems.

And thanks for telling me about that powder. Its very interesting. I never heard about it.

SWEET! the antifungle worked! :D

Yes, thank Krystina for me! I can tell you I was very nervous using it because I didn't want to hurt the eggs, but I figured it couldn't be any worse than what mold or this "fuzz" would do.

(and thank you also to the others than mentioned this, too... :D)

Update!

I took a couple new pictures of the eggs today. Sorry for the poor quality, but I took them from the side of the containers because I didn't want to open them up just for some pictures. I know you can't tell from this angle or a comparison from when they were first laid, but these puppies are growing and are huge. :D

100_2596.jpg

100_2594.jpg

Update!

Update (finally):

Sorry for the wait! :eek: Well, unfortunately, I have lost 1.5 more - one just shrivled up (picture attached) and the other one is half-way taken over by mold/fuzz, but I am trying to salvage it (also in that picture). The one that shrivled up was somewhat attached to another egg and was never looking that great from the beginning so I actually didn't expect it to last as long as it did. So, the final tally is down to 54 (and 1/2), but the rest of them are still looking pretty good. I found the same fuzz again :)mad:) on a few of the eggs in the first container, so I dragged out the Lotrimin again and added a bit more. I am attaching some pictures of some of the biggest eggs. There are varrying sizes and some of them are considerably smaller than the others, so hopefully those smaller ones are just taking their sweet time. :p

102_2646.jpg

102_2647.jpg

102_2648.jpg

102_2649.jpg

Not sure. Incubation is/has been 3 months as of tomorrow so maybe another month or two at the latest......I hope.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom