1 of my eggs have a hole..

I had another 1 that had a numb on it. Guessing it was a hole that sealed up. Today as I was checking my eggs again I have another 1 that has a whole. The other 1 resealed itself & seems to be fine. This 1 I'm not so sure by the whole it's dark & the egg is no longer transparent. Not sure if it's a goner. Couldn't of been too wet I have 2 different containers 1 is more moist & this 1 is more dry. But still has enough moisture where the vermiculite sticks together & has some moisture on the sides of the container. First picture are the 2 in the very center that have developed holes. Second picture is the 1 that just got the whole & is almost solid. 😬

Attachments

• IMG_20220324_111500671.jpg
    IMG_20220324_111500671.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20220324_111629306.jpg
    IMG_20220324_111629306.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 79
I had another 1 that had a numb on it. Guessing it was a hole that sealed up. Today as I was checking my eggs again I have another 1 that has a whole. The other 1 resealed itself & seems to be fine. This 1 I'm not so sure by the whole it's dark & the egg is no longer transparent. Not sure if it's a goner. Couldn't of been too wet I have 2 different containers 1 is more moist & this 1 is more dry. But still has enough moisture where the vermiculite sticks together & has some moisture on the sides of the container. First picture are the 2 in the very center that have developed holes. Second picture is the 1 that just got the whole & is almost solid. 😬
Are they old enough to start pipping?

You now have at least three threads on eggs....if they are all the same batch of eggs, it would help us if you would keep it all in one thread.

What temperature are you keeping the eggs at now?
Are these the same eggs that had the green marks on?
How often are you taking the the kids off to check on the eggs? Candling them? How long are the lids off when you do check?
You don't rotate the eggs when candling them, do you?
Have you seen any phirid flies in the container?

You now have at least three threads on eggs....if they are all the same batch of eggs, it would help us if you would keep it all in one thread.

What temperature are you keeping the eggs at now?
Are these the same eggs that had the green marks on?
How often are you taking the the kids off to check on the eggs? Candling them? How long are the lids off when you do check?
You don't rotate the eggs when candling them, do you?
Have you seen any phirid flies in the container?
Ok. Thought cause it was a different subject to Start a different thread. Yes it's 1 of the eggs that had a green spot on it. Every couple of days I check them to see if any are sweeting or denting. Only pop it open check on them. Probably once I week I candle them. Not every single egg but a couple. Then the nxt week a different couple. I would say it's off more then 30 seconds. & No rotating even the ones I have picked up to candle straight up & straight down. & I haven't seen any flies in it.

I think you're checking too often. It messes up the mini ecosystem inside the containers and jiggles them. Also the light from candling them may cause problems....just something I've always suspected.
I think you're going to lose some of the eggs.
Glad you haven't seen any of the flies around. (They're small like fruit flies).

Just to clarify your comment: "The other 1 resealed itself & seems to be fine". I am not 100% sure they are capable of do this. If the egg is healthy the fluid would seep out from the pressure. But that does not mean that a portion of thick internal fluid did not clog the hole.
1. The hole should never have happened. 2. if close to hatching it is a slit not a hole.
The colors on both eggs are off for a healthy egg. That does not mean there is not a live embryo. Just not normal.
Crossing fingers everything will work out.
You can candle with a pen light from the top in a dark room. No touching since our hands have bacteria and oils that is not good for the egg.
example:

Attachments

• PXL_20210407_162301291.jpg
    PXL_20210407_162301291.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 71
Yes. Even when I candle them. .yl0lXōlkiliwôooo
Just to clarify your comment: "The other 1 resealed itself & seems to be fine". I am not 100% sure they are capable of do this. If the egg is healthy the fluid would seep out from the pressure. But that does not mean that a portion of thick internal fluid did not clog the hole.
1. The hole should never have happened. 2. if close to hatching it is a slit not a hole.
The colors on both eggs are off for a healthy egg. That does not mean there is not a live embryo. Just not normal.
Crossing fingers everything will work out.
You can candle with a pen light from the top in a dark room. No touching since our hands have bacteria and oils that is not good for the egg.
example:
I think the reason the color is off maybe cause I didn't dig them up for almost 2 months. I think the coconut husk dyed them. Maybe not. Idk but my second clutch that I dug up right away is white. This clutch here does have some odd spots & discoloration. I think maybe some bugs tried to get to them before I dug them up. This is a picture of the other 1 that did that but seemed to seal its self back up. I have washed my hands before touching them. But maybe that is why it started to get a green spot on it. In the same area that the hole happened. & The second picture is my most recent candling I did. They should be hatching yet. Still have a few weeks to a month left. (From my research I'm guessing that's how much longer from candling them & comparing)

Attachments

• IMG_20220315_104555027~2.jpg
    IMG_20220315_104555027~2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20220316_112956490.jpg
    IMG_20220316_112956490.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 77
You said..."I think the reason the color is off maybe cause I didn't dig them up for almost 2 months"...this could be a big part of the problem...can't say 100%....just from experience, what I've read and the experience of others.

You said..."I think maybe some bugs tried to get to them before I dug them up"...maybe they got in and that's why the eggs bphad a leak....lets hope they weren't parasitic.

You said..."I think the reason the color is off maybe cause I didn't dig them up for almost 2 months"...this could be a big part of the problem...can't say 100%....just from experience, what I've read and the experience of others.

You said..."I think maybe some bugs tried to get to them before I dug them up"...maybe they got in and that's why the eggs bphad a leak....lets hope they weren't parasitic.
Oh wow I hope not. That would be so bad. 🤞

I'm freaking out a little bit now. It is parasites. & I'm wondering if I should pitch the egg now. There are tiny tiny pinworms on my other eggs. Does that mean all these baby will have pinworms or could I just wash off the eggs? Any suggestions???? 🤞🙏

You said...". I think maybe some bugs tried to get to them before I dug them up"...what did the bugs look like?
I'm betting the "pinworms" aren't pinworms but phirid fly larva.

You said...". I think maybe some bugs tried to get to them before I dug them up"...what did the bugs look like?
I'm betting the "pinworms" aren't pinworms but phirid fly larva.
I thought it was a fuzzy. When I showed the light on them they were moving around like skinny white worms. Looked like pinworms that I've seen yrs ago from my cat. (That I don't have any more) that's what they looked like but smaller & skinnier. They look longer then any larvae I have ever seen. I'll try to get a picture. They're really tiny. But the bugs I thought were trying to get them was superworms that dropped in the dirt.

So you never saw any bugs the size of fruit flies in the area where the eggs we e buried or near the incubation containers?
No. I looked really good. No fruit flies. I didn't notice the hair looking worms till today. Wonder if that 1 egg with the hole could of had worms & they got out through that hole? Is that possible? They're only centimeters long. Way skinnier then the fruit fly cultures larvae I have. Wonder if the embryo have worms or .... Idk hope I can just wipe the worms or wash them off & put them in new vermiculite. Ugh. Idk what to do but it being close to 200 days & now I'm finding worms on the eggs!! Little stressed now.

I canto prove this because I don't he enough information.

Since the eggs are getting holes in them, it might be that the worms came from eggs that were laid inside the chameleon eggs by an insect that laid them there in order to provide them with food when they hatched.

I would look under the eggs, one at a time, without turning them...maybe ly a mirror on the table next hold one at a time I over it I you can see under the eggs. If they have no damage then I would put those into a clean incubation container with fresh substrate. Make sure to pick off any worms that are in the eggs before you move them. The rest of the eggs you can leave in the present incubation containers...but I would me sure that you take the new containers to mother room to finish the incubation. If you're lucky some might not have worms and ht have.

It's like up to you what you decide. Hope you can save some of the eggs.

I canto prove this because I don't he enough information.

Since the eggs are getting holes in them, it might be that the worms came from eggs that were laid inside the chameleon eggs by an insect that laid them there in order to provide them with food when they hatched.

I would look under the eggs, one at a time, without turning them...maybe ly a mirror on the table next hold one at a time I over it I you can see under the eggs. If they have no damage then I would put those into a clean incubation container with fresh substrate. Make sure to pick off any worms that are in the eggs before you move them. The rest of the eggs you can leave in the present incubation containers...but I would me sure that you take the new containers to mother room to finish the incubation. If you're lucky some might not have worms and ht have.

It's like up to you what you decide. Hope you can save some of the eggs.
Ok. Thank you so much. I will try that. Hopefully my hatchlings aren't infested. I've done a lot of research on adults. & That parasites are very common in chameleons & can even help with digestion. But an infestation is bad. & With babies that worries me. I'm going to try picking off what I can & putting them in new substrate. Thank u.

Back
Top Bottom