Won't lay eggs! HELP!

All you need for a lay bin is play sand. Coco coir is too loose and isn’t able to hold any form. I honestly don’t know if she’ll continue laying no matter what you provide her at this point. As @kinyonga said, ” there will only be so many days that she will dig before the hormones change and she won't have the urge to lay.”
If she doesn’t get those eggs out one way or another, feeder choices and other husbandry won’t matter at all. Waiting until she’s in absolute distress will decrease her chances of surviving if she needs surgery to remove the eggs. I think giving her until Monday to lay on her own is reasonable (although I may be wrong and she may need sooner) and taking her to a vet ASAP if she doesn’t. It would also be essential to let the vet know all of her behaviors and actions in the past few days. If she is eggbound and not given surgery to remove the eggs, she will die and it will be painful for her. I don’t want to scare you, but this is how it is and it can be very serious.
I'll see about getting her to a vet tomorrow as I have school on Monday and won't have the time. I'm also still unsure about the supplements. I've been told i'm giving them to her wrong but I don't know what is right.
 

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
I'll see about getting her to a vet tomorrow as I have school on Monday and won't have the time. I'm also still unsure about the supplements. I've been told i'm giving them to her wrong but I don't know what is right.
After she gets those eggs out, we can go over all of your husbandry and get it perfect.
 

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
While I have been fortunate enough not to have experience with egg binding, I have seen that many vets will give injections of either calcium and/or oxytocin. Oxytocin causes contractions needed to expel eggs (or babies) and I’m not sure if that would be enough. @kinyonga @jannb @JacksJill all know much more than I do and I trust their wisdom.
 
While I have been fortunate enough not to have experience with egg binding, I have seen that many vets will give injections of either calcium and/or oxytocin. Oxytocin causes contractions needed to expel eggs (or babies) and I’m not sure if that would be enough. @kinyonga @jannb @JacksJill all know much more than I do and I trust their wisdom.
The guy that sold me Tipsy (my chameleon) told me that if anything was to go wrong to give her a drop of liquid paraffin and it is supposed to work like a laxative and they will all come out. But i'm not sure that is a good idea for me to do
 

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
The guy that sold me Tipsy (my chameleon) told me that if anything was to go wrong to give her a drop of liquid paraffin and it is supposed to work like a laxative and they will all come out. But i'm not sure that is a good idea for me to do
No paraffin. She doesn’t need her GI tract lubricated. She needs the urge to lay her eggs.
 
No paraffin. She doesn’t need her GI tract lubricated. She needs the urge to lay her eggs.
Okay. All vets are closed tomorrow so i'll take her to the vet on Monday but is there any reason that she might be refused this injection to help her start contractions? Just to see if she will for sure need surgery.
 

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
Okay. All vets are closed tomorrow so i'll take her to the vet on Monday but is there any reason that she might be refused this injection to help her start contractions? Just to see if she will for sure need surgery.
I’m not a vet and don’t have any personal experience with egg bound chameleons or other animals, so I can’t diagnose and say which treatment is appropriate to give. Only your vet will be able to do that and will prescribe the treatment he/she feels is most appropriate. I can only say that I’m concerned for your little girl and from all of what you’ve said throughout this post, I think a vet visit sooner rather than later is the best course of action at this point.
 
I’m not a vet and don’t have any personal experience with egg bound chameleons or other animals, so I can’t diagnose and say which treatment is appropriate to give. Only your vet will be able to do that and will prescribe the treatment he/she feels is most appropriate. I can only say that I’m concerned for your little girl and from all of what you’ve said throughout this post, I think a vet visit sooner rather than later is the best course of action at this point.
Okay thank you. I'll take her to vet on Monday. Hopefully all goes well.
 

kinyonga

Chameleon Queen
I definitely would not giv her the paraffin.
Oxytocin will work within an appropriate time frame but not if the chameleon is past the point of laying usually. Calcium can also help since it's needed for muscle contractions...but again not usually help if the chameleon is past the point of laying.
 
I definitely would not giv her the paraffin.
Oxytocin will work within an appropriate time frame but not if the chameleon is past the point of laying usually. Calcium can also help since it's needed for muscle contractions...but again not usually help if the chameleon is past the point of laying.
Okay that makes sense. Is the only other way surgery?
 

kinyonga

Chameleon Queen
I'm not a vet and I can't tell you how long she has. If she starts sleeping during the day, sitting lo in the cage, acts lethargic she needs to see a good chameleon vet ASAP.
 
I'm not a vet and I can't tell you how long she has. If she starts sleeping during the day, sitting lo in the cage, acts lethargic she needs to see a good chameleon vet ASAP.
She hasn't moved all day today but hasn't been sleeping during the day. Its 9pm here and I can't get to the vet until tomorrow
 

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi there. Just wondering how your girl has been doing. We’re you able to get her to a vet? If so, what did they find, say and do?
 

Millz&Jukka

Avid Member
Having a bit of trouble persuading my parents to take her to the vet. They seem to think she is fine so haven't took her yet.
could you get a taxi or uber or something? i'm sorry to say it but if shes eggbound and doesnt get help asap then she most likely will not make it, show your parents the replies here to show them that your cham is definitely not fine but i really hope they get your little lady to the vets
 
Top Bottom