Won't lay eggs! HELP!

Okay. Thank you. When should I start to worry. She hasn't ate since Saturday...
I know it’s a very anxious time, but she needs to get those eggs out first and foremost. Chameleons can go quite some time without eating and I guarantee that is the last thing on her mind right now. You need to give her absolute privacy and zero disturbances until she lays her eggs. If she becomes egg bound, the only fix for that is surgery and that presents a whole different set of problems. Can you find a vet that would even do the surgery? Is that vet experienced enough to do it? Can you afford the high cost of it? Would your little girl even survive a surgery? Etc etc. I know you’re anxious and feel like you want to help her in some way. The best thing you can do is hunt down some yummy hornworms, silkworms and other treats to give her once she’s done and needing to build her strength back up.

I know it’s a very anxious time, but she needs to get those eggs out first and foremost. Chameleons can go quite some time without eating and I guarantee that is the last thing on her mind right now. You need to give her absolute privacy and zero disturbances until she lays her eggs. If she becomes egg bound, the only fix for that is surgery and that presents a whole different set of problems. Can you find a vet that would even do the surgery? Is that vet experienced enough to do it? Can you afford the high cost of it? Would your little girl even survive a surgery? Etc etc. I know you’re anxious and feel like you want to help her in some way. The best thing you can do is hunt down some yummy hornworms, silkworms and other treats to give her once she’s done and needing to build her strength back up.
Okay thank you so much and hopefully everything goes well. I just don't know how to tell when she is finished if I don't check in her.

I've peered in to my room now before her lights go out to check if she had finished laying or what she was doing. She was sitting on her favourite stuck under her basking light and there was dirt on her nose so I thought she was done laying. Now that I have looked closer at her she doesn't seem to have got any thinner. Is she done? Or has she still to lay? I've also noticed that in her digging area she has dug another crater but with a tunnel down the side. Is this good or a bad thing?

Attachments

• 20210922_195846.jpg
    20210922_195846.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210922_195549.jpg
    20210922_195549.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210922_195156.jpg
    20210922_195156.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210922_195100.jpg
    20210922_195100.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 56
Just leave her be. She may just be taking a break for a little bit. At least she’s making progress by digging. She doesn’t look like she’s layed yet. I wouldn’t take any more pictures at all and just leave her alone.

When she is digging and she sees you watching her she most likely will abandon the hole. If it happens often enough, she will likely end up eggbound and die. Please cover the sides of the cage so she can't see you when she's in the bottom half of the cage and let her be so she can do the job in peace.

When she is digging and she sees you watching her she most likely will abandon the hole. If it happens often enough, she will likely end up eggbound and die. Please cover the sides of the cage so she can't see you when she's in the bottom half of the cage and let her be so she can do the job in peace.
I don't go in my room during the day at all. Her tank sits close to my bedroom door and peer through a small crack. I can only see one half of ger tank as I have a chest of drawers covering the other half which is where she is digging. I tried covering her with an old bedsheet but she went black, puffed up and hissed so I took ot off immediately. Today is the first day she has dug a tunnel. I'm not sure if she will lay in it tomorrow or if she doesn't like it which is why she hasn't layed yet.

Hun you just need to stop over analyzing her and just leave her alone or your going to have a big problem on your hands. Don’t go into the room at all and just leave her be. This is an anxious time for you and I get it but try to just leave her alone.

Hun you just need to stop over analyzing her and just leave her alone or your going to have a big problem on your hands. Don’t go into the room at all and just leave her be. This is an anxious time for you and I get it but try to just leave her alone.
Okay i'll leave her be. Thank you for all the advice!

My chameleon still hasn't layed... I covered her tank up so she couldn't see me going to bed or leaving in the morning. They are the only two times I have walked into my room but I covered up her up two days ago... when I checked on her the area she was digging in was completely covered up and she was sitting below her basking light and is dark coloured. She also has dirt all over her body so I thought she was done but there are no eggs and she is still fat looking. I'm starting to get really worried and don't understand what i'm doing wrong...

Can you post a picture with ours if the cage set-up please so we can see how you've set it up along with the laying bin inside her cage. Something is wrong with your husbandry. You may also be stressing her out to the point that she does not feel safe enough to lay her eggs, or she may be unable to physically lay the eggs herself due to malnutrition etc. Filling out the how to ask for help form will be helpful as well.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Can you post a picture with ours if the cage set-up please so we can see how you've set it up along with the laying bin inside her cage. Something is wrong with your husbandry. You may also be stressing her out to the point that she does not feel safe enough to lay her eggs, or she may be unable to physically lay the eggs herself due to malnutrition etc. Filling out the how to ask for help form will be helpful as well.
Well I originally used a laying bin but she wasn't using it, she instead dug in the soil in the corner so i moved it there and still nothing. I've resorted to using the sand from the laying bin to mix it with the substrate to make it higher. I'm able to make a tunnel in it and i've been giving her a lot of privacy. I'll attach pictures

Attachments

• 20210925_155730.jpg
    20210925_155730.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210925_155704.jpg
    20210925_155704.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210925_155655.jpg
    20210925_155655.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom