Won't lay eggs! HELP!

My chameleon is showing signs that she is ready to lay. I set up a laying bin using moist playsand but she seems to only want the substrate so I filled the area she keeps digging at with more substrate. She seems to keeo digging then walking away and coming back to it again. She also is digging a crater instead of a tunnel! I don't know why she is doing this but she also hasn't eaten in a few days... should I be worried or is this normal!? I'll add some pictures of her and her crater.

Attachments

• 20210920_172956.jpg
    20210920_172956.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 114
  • 20210920_173029.jpg
    20210920_173029.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 111
I'm not too sure of the measurements but I'll add a picture below. And I added more substrate to her digging are and added my own tunnel for her.

Attachments

• 20210920_195453.jpg
    20210920_195453.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210920_195506.jpg
    20210920_195506.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 87
Is her cage in an area where she won’t be disturbed! If needed you can hang sheets around the cage to give her privacy. They need to be left quietly to lay. I’m going to tag in some other people that can help.
@kinyonga @Beman

I'm not too sure of the measurements but I'll add a picture below. And I added more substrate to her digging are and added my own tunnel for her.
Is your enclosure bioactive or just a layer of dirt? The issue with her choosing to lay in the dirt is that it will not hold a tunnel. She seems to want that back corner can you move the lay bin back into that area?

Is her cage in an area where she won’t be disturbed! If needed you can hang sheets around the cage to give her privacy. They need to be left quietly to lay. I’m going to tag in some other people that can help.
@kinyonga @Beman
She can see me when I walk into the room however I haven't been in my room at all today to give her the privacy she needs.

Oh, okay. I wondered why it was already dark where you are. Well tomorrow see if you can move the lay bin over where she’s digging and hopefully she’ll switch to the lay bin. Just make sure the lay bin has at least 8 inches deep of moist sand in it and it’s moist enough to hold a tunnel. Then give her some privacy and she should lay. Keep us posted.

Oh, okay. I wondered why it was already dark where you are. Well tomorrow see if you can move the lay bin over where she’s digging and hopefully she’ll switch to the lay bin. Just make sure the lay bin has at least 8 inches deep of moist sand in it and it’s moist enough to hold a tunnel. Then give her some privacy and she should lay. Keep us posted.
Okay will do. Thank you so much for your help!

Hey, looks like you're using straight coco coir for substrate. This doesn't have enough structure to hold a tunnel; her crater is because the top just keeps collapsing in. Either mix in an equal amount of washed playsand or replace with a decent organic potting soil ASAP!

Make sure your scrolling through the thread. I posted above trying to help you as well. Veileds are picky and if it is not done right she will either hold them or drop a few and retain the rest. Neither of these are good.
Yeah hopefully she will lay them soon although the guy I got her from told me that if she doesn't lay and becomes sick that I can give her a drop of liquid paraffin which is what the vet would do apparently but i'm not sure its a good idea...

Back
Top Bottom