Won't lay eggs! HELP!

Yeah hopefully she will lay them soon although the guy I got her from told me that if she doesn't lay and becomes sick that I can give her a drop of liquid paraffin which is what the vet would do apparently but i'm not sure its a good idea...
I don’t think I would do that. The stomach and intestines are not connected to the reproductive system in most animals so it wouldn’t do any good I don’t think but I may be wrong.

Yeah hopefully she will lay them soon although the guy I got her from told me that if she doesn't lay and becomes sick that I can give her a drop of liquid paraffin which is what the vet would do apparently but i'm not sure its a good idea...
Ok and did you read what I put here?
The issue with her choosing to lay in the dirt is that it will not hold a tunnel. She seems to want that back corner can you move the lay bin back into that area?

If she wants to lay in that corner but is not finding it acceptable because she can not tunnel you need to try to accommodate her. They are very picky. She may choose to hold the eggs or lay a few and hold the rest if she does not pick a suitable spot to lay in. This is dangerous.

When did you add the lay bin? Is it new to the cage?

I would not give her the liquid paraffin... She is not holding them in her stomach or digestive track. This will not help her to lay them but may make her very sick.

Although I hesitate to tell you to disturb her, I would think that removing all of the substrate on the bottom and leaving just the lay bin may help guide her to it. She isn’t able to make the distinction between a substrate layer and lay bin. If you can be sneaky and do it at night while she’s asleep… How big is your lay bin? They like space and at least 12” wide and long is best. Depth only needs to be about 6”.
Once she starts digging, just cover the visible area of her enclosure and do not disturb her at all. She may dig several test tunnels until she is happy with one. She may sleep in her bin. After she’s fully covered up her tunnels and sitting in her basking area, looking thin and dirty, you’ll know she’s done.
I agree with everyone else about the paraffin…not a good idea.

I don’t think I would do that. The stomach and intestines are not connected to the reproductive system in most animals so it wouldn’t do any good I don’t think but I may be wrong.
Yeah. If anything happens i'll take her to the vet. I've just measured the height of her laying bin and its only four inches. I definitely don't have the room in her tank for anything higher and she doesn't seem to want the sand. If I took the sand out the laying bin and mix it in with the substrate she likes it should give it more height although i'm worried the sand will put her off

If I put a cover over her would I still be allowed in my room? Surely she can feel the vibrations of me being in the room and it'll put her off.

If I put a cover over her would I still be allowed in my room? Surely she can feel the vibrations of me being in the room and it'll put her off.
I am going to tag @MissSkittles she has a female Veiled and has the experience to give you more spot on info.

They do not need a deep box to lay in. 4 inches should be fine. But I asked before since she wants that back corner can you push the lay bin back in the corner?

I am going to tag @MissSkittles she has a female Veiled and has the experience to give you more spot on info.

They do not need a deep box to lay in. 4 inches should be fine. But I asked before since she wants that back corner can you push the lay bin back in the corner?
Not without changing her entire set up and it will annoy her as i've done it before. I've mixed in a bit of sand tp make it a bit higher and added more water so it holds a tunnel better. Its 3pm here and she has been in the same corner since half 10 this morning as I can't see her anywhere else when I peer in my room to check on her so hopefully she is laying!

If she's been digging already with the intention of laying eggs (not for some other reason) there will only be so many days that she will dig before the hormones change and she won't have the urge to lay....so you need to get thing right ASAP so she not become eggbound....if she's not already. You need to not be constantly disturbing her to readjust things in her cage.

If she becomes eggbound, she will have to have surgery to rectify things or she will die....so you don't want her to get to that point.
If she shows signs of decline you need to get her to a vet before she gets too weak for the surgery.

If she's been digging already with the intention of laying eggs (not for some other reason) there will only be so many days that she will dig before the hormones change and she won't have the urge to lay....so you need to get thing right ASAP so she not become eggbound....if she's not already. You need to not be constantly disturbing her to readjust things in her cage.

If she becomes eggbound, she will have to have surgery to rectify things or she will die....so you don't want her to get to that point.
If she shows signs of decline you need to get her to a vet before she gets too weak for the surgery.
I was just worried that moving things might make it worse but I think she is laying at the minute as I can't see or hesr her when I peer into my room to check on her so she must be in the corner where she kept digging.

Leave her alone until she is done and back up in the trees.
You will want to count the eggs if they're infertile to know how to care for her but don't do this until she is definitely done and has returned to the branches of a day or so.
Okay will do. Although I don't know what to do tonight. Her lights go out at 8pm and I will be going to bed around 10. I don't want to disturb her when i'm going to bed. Roughly how long will she take to lay?

Okay will do. Although I don't know what to do tonight. Her lights go out at 8pm and I will be going to bed around 10. I don't want to disturb her when i'm going to bed. Roughly how long will she take to lay?
Stick to your normal schedule. If she needs to, she will sleep in her tunnel and start up again when lights go back on. She needs to get those eggs out on her own so just give her privacy and let her do her thing.

Don’t bother about lights going off. My girl laid eggs twice and both times she started digging in the morning, started laying eggs during the day, stayed in her hole for the night and finished it during the next day. Somewhere the second day she’s back all skinny and wrinkled on her basking branch, ready for yummy’s, heat and UVB. In principle they know what do, as long as we don’t interfere too much and give them the right circumstances

Okay so i've went in to check on her as i hesrd a plucking sound that she usually makes when she is climbing the back bit of her tank. She has tried to dig her own tunnel instead of the one I made for her. The one she dig hit the glass side of the tank and wasn't long enough. Should I dig another whole or cover it all up again and see what she does tomorrow?

Okay so i've went in to check on her as i hesrd a plucking sound that she usually makes when she is climbing the back bit of her tank. She has tried to dig her own tunnel instead of the one I made for her. The one she dig hit the glass side of the tank and wasn't long enough. Should I dig another whole or cover it all up again and see what she does tomorrow?
Just let her do whatever it is she’s going to do. Constantly disturbing her will lead to her becoming egg bound. If she wants to lay her eggs in a plant pot, her feeding dish or whatever, just let her be.

Just let her do whatever it is she’s going to do. Constantly disturbing her will lead to her becoming egg bound. If she wants to lay her eggs in a plant pot, her feeding dish or whatever, just let her be.
Okay. Should I cover up the holes and let her start from scratch or leave it the way it is?

Back
Top Bottom