Who's veiled loves their owner?

My chameleons all free range and are a big part of our family. I’ve had chameleons that seems to enjoy being around us, that’s for sure.

This has been discussed here on the forums many times over the years.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...ptiles-show-affection-to-their-owners.160482/

View attachment 263672

See here we have visual proof of healthy chameleons making a deliberate choice. And of course they have proper enclosures and care, furthermore they aren't compelled to be with people if they don't want to.

Two exceptions to the general rule.

I don’t believe chams have feelings of affection or hate as we define it. I joke that they hate me, but honestly I think they are just being territorial. The other day I was offering a tasty treat from my hand and one intentionally went around the treat to bite a finger...and that is my sweeter cham! Does that have any effect on how I treat them? Absolutely not! I adore my little ladies and try to give them the best lives.

Kinyonga and carlton, 2 of the most active the community for the longest time. I'll take their opinions before others...

And no trust does not mean love, I trust a lot of things, that doesn't mean I love them. I guess it's how we interpret love. To me, it's something I'd kill for or couldn't live without. A dog protecting its owner, an elephant being depressed when a family member dies, etc... IMO those could be looked at as love. Chameleons wouldn't blink an eye if we dropped dead in front of them. I sold a few chams that I had for a couple years to friends. They acted as if I never existed. And BTW, most of my chams have willingly climbed on me daily.

This is another age old topic, where people that point out the reality of situations are considered to be unloving. I find that to be the opposite, and people preaching love so often are usually the most shallow and narrow minded. I'm not saying this is anyone here, but that it tends to be the trend in a lot of cases.
You are totally right. Kinyonga is one of the best on this website. And I do love my chameleon but I know he’s not going to love me. In my opinion I think the person who started this thread is a bit delusional as to think a reptile such as a chameleon is going to love them back. They said there’s no proof that they don’t love but there’s no proof that they do either. So ur absolutely right.

There was a chameleon in a store I wanted to buy one time and the employee wouldn't let me hold it. I said I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't hold it. He said the manager said not to let anyone hold it and at that moment the manager came into the store. The chameleon went crazy...became totally aggressive and angry towards him (through the glass)...but the manager let me take it out...it was perfectly calm as long as the manager stayed a few feet away. He said that because of its reaction to him he hadn't wanted anyone to handle it in case they got bitten. He was ok with me doing it though, because he knew I wouldn't sue him if it bit me!

Thanks @Kaelahrae ...I appreciate the vote of confidence!

Chameleons seem to recognize people sometimes...they seem to learn to trust people sometimes too...but they don't really love anyone.
Your welcome! I honestly knew that chams aren’t going to love their owner but can show some kind of trust, but I will always trust your opinion first ? I tried to answer your questions as much as I could as well on my page ♥️

I don't think any group of humans living on the planet at anytime can explain Love in its entirety. Love is Trust. If someone trusts you they love you. Its that simple. Love is everywhere. It binds the molecules, the atoms, the electricity, people, plants and more. Love is all. ? ... but Love is even more than that... But I don't know how to explain Love.

I don't think any group of humans living on the planet at anytime can explain Love in its entirety. Love is Trust. If someone trusts you they love you. Its that simple. Love is everywhere. It binds the molecules, the atoms, the electricity, people, plants and more. Love is all. ? ... but Love is even more than that... But I don't know how to explain Love.
You're thinking of the Force! :)

My only issue with these topics is that the "love" crew often say that the people who don't believe(based on pretty logical things IMO) their chams love them are just heartless people. Such complete garbage. Take a look at my enclosures and care, tell me you do more for your animals than me. I just accept things for what they are and don't need to think I have a special little bond with everything I cross. If I did think chameleons could love, that would be awesome. Who wouldn't want an animal to love them back?

And I really don't care if someone thinks their animal loves them or whatever their reasoning is. As long as their care is good and they don't use it project human traits on chams(for example, the people that cuddle their chams, especially when sick).

My only issue with these topics is that the "love" crew often say that the people who don't believe(based on pretty logical things IMO) their chams love them are just heartless people. Such complete garbage. Take a look at my enclosures and care, tell me you do more for your animals than me. I just accept things for what they are and don't need to think I have a special little bond with everything I cross. If I did think chameleons could love, that would be awesome. Who wouldn't want an animal to love them back?

And I really don't care if someone thinks their animal loves them or whatever their reasoning is. As long as their care is good and they don't use it project human traits on chams(for example, the people that cuddle their chams, especially when sick).
I agree with you. The word "love" is a word not to be used with chams... I have been in the "love" crew and finally understand this is not the case... It is trust and even that can change as they mature. We are simply the good tree, the bringer of food, and the means to get to where they want to go. That is it...

Honestly, my cham is all over the place. Sometimes he loves me but other times I get 10 feat close to him and he hisses like crazy. But I love my little cutie.

I agree with you. The word "love" is a word not to be used with chams... I have been in the "love" crew and finally understand this is not the case... It is trust and even that can change as they mature. We are simply the good tree, the bringer of food, and the means to get to where they want to go. That is it...

And the occasional back and head scratcher

Back
Top Bottom