Who's veiled loves their owner?

Chewybahama

I always hear stories about how chameleons hate their owners and would love to hear about some who loves their owners ? I've had my chameleon since it was a juvenile and I swear he's the sweetest thing. I open the door and he comes right for me. He will literally reach for me♥️♥️ I've been holding him almost everyday since he was little. Ik people say to not hold them everyday, but I swear he loves it! Who can relate??

Its not a matter of love or hate. Not the right terms to use in relation to a cham. It is more a matter of trust, familiarity, and acceptance. He reaches for you because he wants to use you as a route out of his confined space; a sort of moving tree branch. I can tell you are sort of meaning this in a joking way, but choosing to misinterpret how your cham sees its world will cause problems when you least want them to. A big part of caring for a cham well is to respect who and what they are, not what you WANT them to be. That leads to frustration, losing patience, getting bored with them, and ultimately neglect. Love your cham all you wish. Don't delude yourself into believing he "loves" you back.

Last edited:
Its not a matter of love or hate. Not the right terms to use in relation to a cham. It is more a matter of trust, familiarity, and acceptance. He reaches for you because he wants to use you as a route out of his confined space; a sort of moving tree branch. I can tell you are sort of meaning this in a joking way, but choosing to misinterpret how your cham sees its world will cause problems when you least want them to. Love your cham all you wish. Don't delude yourself into believing he "loves" you back.

Yes I know it's a matter of trust and acceptance..and I know it's because he just wants to get out and explore ? ???????

Its not a matter of love or hate. Not the right terms to use in relation to a cham. It is more a matter of trust, familiarity, and acceptance. He reaches for you because he wants to use you as a route out of his confined space; a sort of moving tree branch. I can tell you are sort of meaning this in a joking way, but choosing to misinterpret how your cham sees its world will cause problems when you least want them to. A big part of caring for a cham well is to respect who and what they are, not what you WANT them to be. That leads to frustration, losing patience, getting bored with them, and ultimately neglect. Love your cham all you wish. Don't delude yourself into believing he "loves" you back.
And just because I choose to believe he loves be back doesn't mean it's going to lead me down a path of neglect for him later ??? no problems here, good day sir!

(Let a little love into your life please♥️)

I disagree since there is no proof. If a chameleon loves to eat hornworms but turns its nose to roaches. That is a love/hate type situation. So if your cham is healthy, loves his cage and not trying to always escape, then when he sees you and is excited and sits on you and doesn't run off then that is a type of love trust situation. Non of any of the love stuff is fact, its opinion. Can I prove my dogs really love me or just tolerate me for shelter and food? If you learn to speak chameleon, dog, cat let me know please.

So chewy keep knowing in your heart and opinion he loves you, thats all that matters!

I disagree since there is no proof. If a chameleon loves to eat hornworms but turns its nose to roaches. That is a love/hate type situation. So if your cham is healthy, loves his cage and not trying to always escape, then when he sees you and is excited and sits on you and doesn't run off then that is a type of love trust situation. Non of any of the love stuff is fact, its opinion. Can I prove my dogs really love me or just tolerate me for shelter and food? If you learn to speak chameleon, dog, cat let me know please.

So chewy keep knowing in your heart and opinion he loves you, thats all that matters!

Yes ! THANK YOU for your response. He's a happy guy, healthy and loves his cages. I never grab at him or force him to come out ( sometimes he doesn't want to come out and that's just fine, I never make him) but about 65% of the time he come right to me and just sits on my shoulder ( sometimes he prefers to sit on me rather than free roaming his trees!) which makes me believe he really does love me lolol .

Kinyonga and carlton, 2 of the most active the community for the longest time. I'll take their opinions before others...

And no trust does not mean love, I trust a lot of things, that doesn't mean I love them. I guess it's how we interpret love. To me, it's something I'd kill for or couldn't live without. A dog protecting its owner, an elephant being depressed when a family member dies, etc... IMO those could be looked at as love. Chameleons wouldn't blink an eye if we dropped dead in front of them. I sold a few chams that I had for a couple years to friends. They acted as if I never existed. And BTW, most of my chams have willingly climbed on me daily.

This is another age old topic, where people that point out the reality of situations are considered to be unloving. I find that to be the opposite, and people preaching love so often are usually the most shallow and narrow minded. I'm not saying this is anyone here, but that it tends to be the trend in a lot of cases.

Last edited:
And just because I choose to believe he loves be back doesn't mean it's going to lead me down a path of neglect for him later ??? no problems here, good day sir!

(Let a little love into your life please♥)
Misunderstanding an animal's behavior can certainly lead to mistreatment. See it all the time and CF is no exception. A brief search and read of the hundreds of newbie posts about chams in trouble would show you that. But whatever. I love my pets regardless whether they are "capable" of loving me back or not. Acknowledging and respecting what they are is a big part of that love.

As for love in my life, there's plenty and it takes many forms. Partly because I know where to look for it.

Half the people on this webpage are just looking for a reason to judge or complain.? ?? After this reply, I don't care to read it anymore .. Maybe you should find a different outlet in life rather than monitoring this page like you get paid for it lol. This is my last time on this webpage, my chameleon is doing GRAND . Thank you, and I appreciate all the loving and helpful comments ! This post was just about love and a way to have some chameleon conversation . Peace and love everyone!

Chameleons sadly are not friendly reptiles, with few exceptions. If you want a hand pet, get a different reptile.

You've come on this site proclaiming your the exception to the rule.(With a veiled nonetheless) Yet you post no photographic proof. You expect us to blindly accept what you say. You think your animal is doing well, for all we know, Its at deaths door and simply to weak to protest you.

Not to mention your cham may hate his cage, which is a main reason that they pace and try to leave the cage. Again with very few exceptions, and I'm going to wager, you aren't one of them.

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-80-handling-your-chameleon/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-82-holding-angry-chameleons/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-85-taming-your-chameleon/

Last edited:
@Chewybahama No one is trying to complain or judge. You posted something, people responded with their opinions and perspectives.

Just because you dont like the responses doesn't mean you have to be rude. This site is about helping chameleons and their owners, as well as spreading information and experience. If you say something that is not true, people will correct you. You dont have to like said corrections.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. You can believe your chameleons loves you, but this is most likely not the case. Trust, as said above, is a better word for his behavior.

Just my 2 cents.

Chameleons do not feel human emotions, so no one's.

Chameleons and all animals, including insects, do by studies seem to exhibit the ability for "Basic Emotion" these are instinctual emotions, such as Fear, Anger, Happiness, Sadness.

They do not posses "Higher Order" emotions. These are things like Love, Friendship, Loyalty, and they require a Conscious mind. Reptiles do not posses a Conscious Mind.

You will see debate in what animals have a Conscious mind, but never over reptiles. Most mammals however are said to have one, do your Dog could love you, and very well might. However your reptile, doesn't experience that emotion.

Last edited:
My chameleons all free range and are a big part of our family. I’ve had chameleons that seems to enjoy being around us, that’s for sure.

This has been discussed here on the forums many times over the years.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...ptiles-show-affection-to-their-owners.160482/

9F831191-C7E1-44C5-A082-74E802333A52.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom