Smells and holding?

fallenangel

So I've just been curious because I know chameleons have a really strong sense of smell so when it comes to things like air freshener am I able to use them or even candles or is that a no go I haven't used ethier since I've gotten my boy. And then also I've never had trouble holding him he's usually quite a sweet boy but I notice if he's hungry he won't let me and right now it looks like he puffs at me just for looking. Im unsure why. he's not shedding or anything but ik he usually is a happy boy

So it is not so much that they have a strong sense of smell. It is more so that their respiratory system is quite fragile. This is why odor from air freshener and candles is not recommended.

Could you post a picture of his entire enclosure including the lighting on top?

So it is not so much that they have a strong sense of smell. It is more so that their respiratory system is quite fragile. This is why odor from air freshener and candles is not recommended.

Could you post a picture of his entire enclosure including the lighting on top?
17095804340613909613661489604692.jpg
17095804823583602957215833546696.jpg

My husband is working on making a new cage so right now we're in that process. His humidity and tempature is what it's suppose to be at all times and we do have a auto mister and those are live plants that we have done research that are safe the powder that's on the branch is from the crickets and then we always have the heat lamp on. I think the reason mostly was because he was hungry cause after eating he's back to being his sweet loveable self like right now he's sitting on my shoulder

View attachment 352474View attachment 352475
My husband is working on making a new cage so right now we're in that process. His humidity and tempature is what it's suppose to be at all times and we do have a auto mister and those are live plants that we have done research that are safe the powder that's on the branch is from the crickets and then we always have the heat lamp on. I think the reason mostly was because he was hungry cause after eating he's back to being his sweet loveable self like right now he's sitting on my shoulder
And we just added long sticks after boiling and baking em and they are the curly sticks (safe just can't think of name)

View attachment 352474View attachment 352475
So I know you said you did all the right research... I am just going to say that some of it was off looking at the set up. I do not mean this to be rude at all. I just want to make sure you both have the correct info.

Veileds can go through a mood switch around a year old. They can become much more defensive. But also when their enclosure is not quite right they can have stress responses as they mature. His cage is much too small for a 1 year old male. It is actually too small for a 6 month old chameleon. This may be part of his change in attitude along with hitting maturity.

You said his heat lamp is always on. Does this mean you leave it on at night too? May I ask what the temps and humidity are running?

The water fountain while it would seem like a great idea unfortunately is not recommended for chams because they will grow bacteria due to the recycling of the water.

I just want to double check the UVB... It looks a lot like the shade dweller version that arcadia makes. Do you know what you bought by chance?

So I know you said you did all the right research... I am just going to say that some of it was off looking at the set up. I do not mean this to be rude at all. I just want to make sure you both have the correct info.

Veileds can go through a mood switch around a year old. They can become much more defensive. But also when their enclosure is not quite right they can have stress responses as they mature. His cage is much too small for a 1 year old male. It is actually too small for a 6 month old chameleon. This may be part of his change in attitude along with hitting maturity.

You said his heat lamp is always on. Does this mean you leave it on at night too? May I ask what the temps and humidity are running?

The water fountain while it would seem like a great idea unfortunately is not recommended for chams because they will grow bacteria due to the recycling of the water.

I just want to double check the UVB... It looks a lot like the shade dweller version that arcadia makes. Do you know what you bought by

I just want to double check the UVB... It looks a lot like the shade dweller version that arcadia makes. Do you know what you bought by chance?
The light is a T5 shade dweller, daytime temp is 78-85 in the basking area and night temp is around 65 and humidity day is around 60 and nighttime is around 75 to 80 and now that I know about the fountain ima fix that and Take it out. And yeah I know that he needs a better enclosure we're in the process of making one

The light is a T5 shade dweller, daytime temp is 78-85 in the basking area and night temp is around 65 and humidity day is around 60 and nighttime is around 75 to 80 and now that I know about the fountain ima fix that and Take it out. And yeah I know that he needs a better enclosure we're in the process of making one
Ok so the shadedweller is actually the wrong fixture type and bulb strength. You will need to buy him a new fixture with a 6% bulb. He would be high risk for developing MBD since he has been under the shadedweller. You want to get a fixture that will run the width of the new cage your husband is working on as well. Arcadia ProT5 with a 6% bulb would be the best...

Per daytime humidity this is a bit high for a veiled. Really the max levels for a veiled is 50% daytime. For the heat in that small of a cage I would not have it be any hotter than 80. Just because he does not have the room to totally get out of the heat into a cooler gradient in the current cage. High heat and high humidity in a glass enclosure pose a risk for a respiratory infection developing.

For the new enclosure a few notes. if it is a wood frame you have to seal the wood so it is not emitting VOC's and to keep it water resistant. Per screening. If you are using screen make sure it is the aluminum window screen. Other materials like fiberglass will actually reduce the UVB far too much inside the cage.

Ok so the shadedweller is actually the wrong fixture type and bulb strength. You will need to buy him a new fixture with a 6% bulb. He would be high risk for developing MBD since he has been under the shadedweller. You want to get a fixture that will run the width of the new cage your husband is working on as well. Arcadia ProT5 with a 6% bulb would be the best...

Per daytime humidity this is a bit high for a veiled. Really the max levels for a veiled is 50% daytime. For the heat in that small of a cage I would not have it be any hotter than 80. Just because he does not have the room to totally get out of the heat into a cooler gradient in the current cage. High heat and high humidity in a glass enclosure pose a risk for a respiratory infection developing.

For the new enclosure a few notes. if it is a wood frame you have to seal the wood so it is not emitting VOC's and to keep it water resistant. Per screening. If you are using screen make sure it is the aluminum window screen. Other materials like fiberglass will actually reduce the UVB far too much inside the cage.
Alrighty

Back
Top Bottom