When should I put my Cham in the laying box?

jnj911

When should I put my Cham in the laying box? When I notice her digging? I have put her in there a couple of days in a row now and she just sits there.

She will start acting real fidgety and won't be at all still. She will constantly be going to the bottom of the cage looking for a place to dig. I normally kept the laying ben in the enclosure with mine. When you do put her in the ben she will need lots of privacy, and shouldn't be disturbed. Good luck.

This is all assuming you know she is gravid...

Yes we had x rays done. She has not been constantly looking and /or digging yet. The vet said within two weeks and yesterday was a week. Will watch for this thanks!

If you have an opaque container at least 12" x 12" deep x 8" filled with moist washed playsand in the cage she should start digging in it when she's ready and then you can move her to the laying bin. If you don't do that then you will have to guess from her behaviour when she's ready. If you miss the often subtle indications for too long she can become eggbound.

Her habitat is not big enough to put one in there that deep. I have a small thing of sand and a small thing of potting soil. I will watch her to see if she starts to dig in that. Then move her to the laying bin with the 8 inches deep sand. Does that sound ok?

My laying bin is a 65 liter Rubbermaid container that has a lid. I modify the lid by cutting away most of it and putting screen where I cut the hole. I fill it over a foot deep with washed playsand that is just moist enough to hold a tunnel. I add a branch of two and you can add a plant too if you want to. I put the chameleon in when she's ready to lay and put the lid back on and lay alight across the top to provide a bit of heat and light. You can water her when she's in there and if need be, feed her but don't leave any excess insects in there. Don't let her see you watching her when she's digging.

Thank you! This is what we have done. She isn't doing anything when I put her in there. I am going to watch her some more to see if she starts to dig at the bottom of the habitat I have her in. Then put her in there. I think I will add some branches and plants.

No. She started "digging" this morning so I put her in the Rubbermaid bin with moist sand and put her heat lamp in there as well as some leaves from her habitat. She did eat a few worms on her own a couple of days ago. I am going to leave her in the bin all day and check on her this evening before bed and see if she has done anything.

I understand that. But there is not an optimal place in her habitat. He habitat has to be small because her legs are deformed from mbd that she had when she was younger. So she does not climb as well as a normal chameleon. Thanks for the advice!

How big is her cage if you don't mind me asking? I've never had a female before so please anyone correct me if I'm wrong; but maybe could you get a bin that fits her cage? Like maybe get one or make one that the width matches up with the cage so it fits but has a really deep depth. That way you won't have to move her and can have one that fits her cage. I read some really gnarlly egg bound stories of chameleon ladies not being able to lay because of stress etc. I just don't want it to happen to yours, especially because you said she's already had some issues in the past.

I am not sure of the exact dimensions of it but I do have a Tupperware container in there with moist playsand. I may need to get one that is deeper. I knew she was female when I adopted her from the vet I work at. I love her and don't want to loose her to egg stasis. She had such a rough beginning of her life. I will get a deeper container and see if that works. Thanks to everyone for the advice and input as this is her first time being gravid. I must say I will get males from now on HA!

Back
Top Bottom