when should i handle my cham?

Carlemeleon

I've had Milly (4mnth female panther) for almost 2 weeks now. She seems content enough and although she is still a little skittish she has taken a cricket or two from my hand. I want to try holding her w/o stressing her out too much. Any tips?

Happy to hear your baby Cham is doing well! If you don't want to stress her probably the right answer to your question is never!:)
It depends on the chameleon. You can try to approach her slowly putting your finger in front of her and see how she react. My panther runs away most of the times but it doesn't shows any sign of aggression when I need to take him out of his cage and he keeps his happy coulors on. Other tomes puffs up and open is mouth, that's a "back off" message. So when it happen I just leave him alone!:)

yes, I would start handling her now. Get a tree branch and see if you can gently place it under her chin and lift up so she can climb onto the branch. Then sit down with the branch on your lap and just let her check you out. I would only do for about 5 minutes to start and let her go back in the cage. Try and hand feed her too. You can try using your hand instead of the branch but you might get bit!

LOL. Ok, well that makes sense. Maybe I will just try to hand feed her crickets once or twice for another week or two. I can clean the cage without disturbing her for the most part. But I do want to take her out & give it a good scrub down soon.

LOL. Ok, well that makes sense. Maybe I will just try to hand feed her crickets once or twice for another week or two. I can clean the cage without disturbing her for the most part. But I do want to take her out & give it a good scrub down soon.
I know, You've been very good on waiting! Hand feeding helps a lot. :)

one way i do it (to earn trust) put your hand out, then your other hand offer a cricket, but out of reach unless the cam uses your hand to get to the cricket..food and water will always help them associate you with a good thing..:D

Back
Top Bottom