What am I doing wrong?

chamdy

My two week old female panther chameleon is active and looks good.

Problem: I dont have white urates...

I mist 3 times at night at 10, 2, and 6 am. I fog thirty minutes on in 30 minute cycles from 10:30 to 6:30 am

I use a dripper in the afternoon, though I dont witness her drinking. She has constant food of fruit flies, bsfl, and pinhead crickets. 70s in temps during the day, 60s at night.

What am I doing wrong?

Hello there! It sounds like you just need to adjust your hydration method. What are your humidity levels during the day and at night?

Do you mist during the day or add a dripper during the day?

I add a dripper during the day. Day humidity is 55-60ish. Was adviced not to mist with lights on. Need time to dry out.

I mist three times at night with a mister. Humidity is high 70s and well into the eighties if I dont use my heater for ambient temps.

I have a veiled and I was having trouble for a long time keeping him hydrated. Here is what I found works for me. 3 min misting sessions every 6 hours. At lights on, mid-day, lights off and once in the middle of the night. I add a dripper in the afternoon for about 15 min if his humidity is low. I also give him hornworms regularly. 1-2 with his other feeders.

This is what i am doing for hydration for my chams, I also struggled with hydration for my panther for a while too. I think when seasons change it can mess with things and we just need to figure out when to make those changes in our husbandry to continue to meet their needs.

7:45 - mist 3 min before lights turn on
8:00 - lights on
3:00 - dripper installed
7:45 - mist 3 min before lights go off
8:00 - lights off
9:00 - 2 min mist
12:00 - mist for 2 min
12-6:00 am - fog constantly

Horn worms are an excellent way to hydrate as well, they are basically just water balloons. A dripper installed more often during the day wouldn't hurt either, just move where you place it so it places in your enclosure has time to dry out. You can also install a computer fan to help with that as well.

How small can I get hornworms? I have a tiny hatchling.
I order from dubiaroaches.com. Order the small size. They are tiny and should be fine for a little one. They do grow very very fast so I suggest putting them in the fridge to slow their growth.

I order from dubiaroaches.com. Order the small size. They are tiny and should be fine for a little one. They do grow very very fast so I suggest putting them in the fridge to slow their growth.
In the mean time add a misting session during the day at least so baby has some hydration. I would worry about being dehydrated for too long.

In the mean time add a misting session during the day at least so baby has some hydration. I would worry about being dehydrated for too long.
I will add a misting session by hand during the day. I also ordered small hornworms from Dubia.com. Lights just went out and I hand misted. Humidity is reading 76. Next misting is in 2 hours. And then 2 more 4 hours apart.

I will add a misting session by hand during the day. I also ordered small hornworms from Dubia.com. Lights just went out and I hand misted. Humidity is reading 76. Next misting is in 2 hours. And then 2 more 4 hours apart.
I’d adjust the misting sessions so they happen just before lights go off or just before they turn on in the mornings.

the idea is the chameleon can drink dew off the leaves in the morning when it first wakes up and then when you mist just before lights turn off they can do the same again.

I agree with @elizaann2 you have been given great information already. Usually a chameleon will hang upside down in the enclosure to let the rain run fall with gravity to the mouth during the misting sessions. Does your Cham react when you mist, some chams you have to mist longer to get them to react and realize it’s time to drink. My chameleon always hangs upside down during the misting sessions I use a simple thrive pump sprayer, she will hang upside down until she’s done drinking then turn upright when she is finished. I spray her twice a day and I’ve never seen colored urate it’s always white. Maybe try misting longer see if that works.

This is a hatchling (almost three weeks) in a nano cage. And i dont have white urates. I know I need to work on this and it is consuming me. It brings me to tears because I want it right for her. I follow all advice and continue to make adjustments. I want to achieve proper temp range and humidity range for her and proper day range. I know with a hatchling it is crucial but also a tad different than an adult needs. I am continuing to struggle but defininately not giving up. This means so much to me.

This is a hatchling (almost three weeks) in a nano cage. And i dont have white urates. I know I need to work on this and it is consuming me. It brings me to tears because I want it right for her. I follow all advice and continue to make adjustments. I want to achieve proper temp range and humidity range for her and proper day range. I know with a hatchling it is crucial but also a tad different than an adult needs. I am continuing to struggle but defininately not giving up. This means so much to me.
Hun do you have a picture of the urate? They do not need to be 100% white. As long as they are 50% white that is still considered hydrated.

I do but there is no white. That is why I am so distraught. First picture was Monday, the day I started my automatic mister. The second was yesterday. I mist, I fog, I drip, lowest is 55 humidity during the day. Nights have been in the eighties and nineties if I dont run my room heater, but the temp drops to about 63 at night. If I have heater on in room, her cage temp is about 68 but humidity is 77ish. I can reach 83 with a fresh mist, but it doesnt last.

She is pretty dark in early day trying to warm up. Very light and calm during sleep.

Attachments

• IMG_20240201_083814_035.jpg
    IMG_20240201_083814_035.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240131_162513.jpg
    20240131_162513.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 14
I do but there is no white. That is why I am so distraught. First picture was Monday, the day I started my automatic mister. The second was yesterday. I mist, I fog, I drip, lowest is 55 humidity during the day. Nights have been in the eighties and nineties if I dont run my room heater, but the temp drops to about 63 at night. If I have heater on in room, her cage temp is about 68 but humidity is 77ish. I can reach 83 with a fresh mist, but it doesnt last.

She is pretty dark in early day trying to warm up. Very light and calm during sleep.
I'm not familiar with hatchlings. I do want to let you know that you are in an excellent place to get support for your little one. Sending you a hug, I know how hard it is to stress about your beloved pet.

Back
Top Bottom