New Cage but can’t handle my Chameleon

Devin101829

So i’m in a bit of a pickle. my baby pascal (Female Veild) is about 4-5 months and i’m upgrading her cage. the only issue is. she seems to be very afraid of my hands. even had her hiss at me in one case (which was my fault, i approached in a very bad way.) i’ve been approaching VERY VERY slow. like painfully slow; and 99% of the time she will start to slowly back away (which is progress. she usually just runs) then she starts to cage walk and her colors become clearly agitated and stressed. i really don’t want to just grab her because i don’t wanna ruin my progress. or permanently ruin the trust. any ideas? (i was thinking of butting the cages up with the doors open and letting her go in herself)

So i’m in a bit of a pickle. my baby pascal (Female Veild) is about 4-5 months and i’m upgrading her cage. the only issue is. she seems to be very afraid of my hands. even had her hiss at me in one case (which was my fault, i approached in a very bad way.) i’ve been approaching VERY VERY slow. like painfully slow; and 99% of the time she will start to slowly back away (which is progress. she usually just runs) then she starts to cage walk and her colors become clearly agitated and stressed. i really don’t want to just grab her because i don’t wanna ruin my progress. or permanently ruin the trust. any ideas? (i was thinking of butting the cages up with the doors open and letting her go in herself)
Go at her pace. Putting the cages together could work. My guy is food motivated. Especially hornworms. If I hold one in one hand and put my other hand out for him to walk on it works. I hold the worm far enough away that he has to physically walk up my other arm to get it.

You could try coaxing her onto a stick and move her that way. It is always a good thing to become comfortable handling your chameleon...even though they may hiss, lunge or even bite. I use a two hand approach - one hand slowly moving in from the front at about the level of their feet while my other hand is moving towards them from above and behind. Eventually I’ll manage to get one of my hands beneath their feet where they’ll grasp on. Getting them to release the tail from whatever branch they’ve wrapped it is a different challenge.

Initially, I was terrified to handle Carmelo. By the way, once I got his cage up to his standards, nothing motivates him to come out, nothing. I started using 1 soft leather animal handling glove and 1 bare hand. I no longer use the glove. I lay 1 hand on a branch and nudge him forward to step on my hand. My hand on the branch is his only option. Once he has 2 feet on my fingers, I raise my hand off the branch while continuing the gentle nudge. I offer him fingers for each back foot. When each foot has a finger. I touch the tip of his tail (he curls his tail around a branch) he then releases the branch. I make sure I don't hurt his tail as I remove him from the cage. FYI - His tail has a strong grip. He whines, throws his cask aggressively, gives me the side eye but I proceed. I take him out on feeding days for natural sunlight and vertical climbing for exercise. Then back to the cage and dinner is served.
He seems to love the climbing.
20230627_145407.jpg

UPDATE: The baby is in her new cage. she already seems better. a little scared but she’s already eaten. i brought her other food dish over so she recognizes it. she’s already eaten. i have a grow light for the plants. a 18in UVB bulb (T5). also made sure she had her basking branch. all live plants (besides a vine i put on the door so she felt like she had more coverage till the plants grew in more) i am getting a laying bed soon because she is getting older. but tell me what you guys think. and what improvements need done to the cage. thank you guys for all your help and advice!! i’m super glad i found this community i’ll post the before cage too
8B8DD78A-0FC4-46FC-AF1E-B77ADBD8E113.jpeg
D7A62345-017D-433F-808C-99CBE0AE04C2.jpeg

Attachments

• 7097AA03-B1F0-4EB1-BE9B-3511043F68DE.jpeg
    7097AA03-B1F0-4EB1-BE9B-3511043F68DE.jpeg
    340.9 KB · Views: 36
UPDATE: The baby is in her new cage. she already seems better. a little scared but she’s already eaten. i brought her other food dish over so she recognizes it. she’s already eaten. i have a grow light for the plants. a 18in UVB bulb (T5). also made sure she had her basking branch. all live plants (besides a vine i put on the door so she felt like she had more coverage till the plants grew in more) i am getting a laying bed soon because she is getting older. but tell me what you guys think. and what improvements need done to the cage. thank you guys for all your help and advice!! i’m super glad i found this community i’ll post the before cage too View attachment 340863View attachment 340861
It’s looks beautiful 😍. What is the red light at the top? A plant light?

It’s looks beautiful 😍. What is the red light at the top? A plant light?
thank you!! it took my like 7 hours to build and many hours of shopping and researching safe plants. So from left to right across the top (the bottom photo). the dual Multi colored LED bulb on the left is my grow light for the plants. to the right of that is my 18 in UVB bulb. and in the back right on the top is her heat bulb.

Back
Top Bottom