When is a good time to get a baby veiled a bigger enclosure?

Jonah S

I have had my baby male for about a week and a half now and I'm trying to figure out the best time to get him a more permanent home. The shop I got him at said he was born March 18th but I'm not so sure given how small he is. Right now he is in a pretty good sized bin and it seems to work for him, I am anxious to get him a real home though and I'm just waiting on a growth spurt.

Here is the best picture I have to show his size-

larry2.jpg

I know there is nothing next to him to show scale but as you can see when he is on my hand he isn't huge.
larry4.jpg

I want to get him either a 26x26x48 or an 18x18x36. Again, money isn't the issue, its getting him an enclosure that gives him room to stretch out while not overdoing it since he is so small. Any kind of insight is appreciated.

I would say he is a little small for 3 1/2 months, but he could hit a growth spurt any second. I always found it was safe to put them in A 24x24x48 AT 4 1/2-5 months.

Pan loved the space at 4-4.5 months. He prowled like a lion and got more territorial with me (he always was and it's what I expected from him.) You may be lucky and he may end up wanting to come out :just make sure he's an agressive hunter/cup feeds okay.

If he sees the crickets roamin around he is all over it. I tried cup feeding him once and he didn't even glance at the cup. I may need to try again and see if I have better luck.

Would I need to worry about im having a fall? He has pretty good grip strength but I would hate for him to slip and plummet down and hurt himself.

You could always put a divider (some netting?) to separate the top from the bottom, only give him access to the top for now. That way his food would be closer and he wouldn't have as far to fall should that happen....you could move it down later and remove it completely when you felt he was ready.

Eh, put a few nice bushy pothos on the floor and he's good. My guy never got hurt when he fell as a baby/juvi, but he usually landed in some bushy plants.

Back
Top Bottom