Baby cham care question...

Shauna_T

Avid Member
So I just got my boy Groot and I'm pretty sure this is normal, but as I told @Beman I was going to be a complete worry wart lol...
I picked him up from the airport on the 23rd, that night he ate 1 silk, the next morning he also only ate 1 silk, I offered him some small dubia in his screen feeder but he didn’t eat them. I have been feeding him the silks out of my hand so he will associate me with good things. But today he only ate 2 out of hand so I started to get worried (I know they can go a for a little while without food🤪) but, due to his age I put some free range silks in his Viv so he has now had 5 small silks and I think (not sure) 2 sm dubia today. Is that enough for him to be eating lol I'm scared he isn't eating enough and I don't want to kill him. I know babies can be fragile and I think that is what has me worried. He is just now starting to explore his environment so that makes me happy im just worried about the food situation.
I feel almost stupid for even posting this as I am not new to reptiles and I know it takes 2 weeks or longer depending on the animal for them to get used to their new homes. But... ya-know lol I can't help it. 🤷‍♀️

how many months old is lil groot?
  • Your Chameleon - Panther, Male, hatch date May 22, 2023. Has been in my care since August 23, 2023
  • Handling – haven’t yet
  • Feeding – Silk worms, and small Dubia will be getting some BSFL and as much as he can eat in 10-15 min everyday. Feeding carrots and sugar peas at the moment. Will be getting some mixed greens, sweet potatoe, frozen thawed green beens , frozen thawed blueberries. They will also have a homemade roach feed with organic rabbit food, bee pollen, nutritional yeast, organic oats, and triskets blended into a powdered meal, with crystal water available at all times
  • Supplements – miner-all calcium no d3 every feeding and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I haven’t done the vitamins yet
  • Watering – misting system, on for 3 min just brfore lights on/off and 2-3 times at night to keep humidity level up. I also offer a drip for 15 min. Mid day. Do you see your chameleon drinking? Not yet
  • Fecal Description – normal brown poop with a tiny bit of light orange then the white part of the urine. Has not been tested for parasites by me yet.
  • History – bought him from framschams so I know he is a healthy boy.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type – It is a converted armoire with a solid back the top, sides and the doors are screen. The Inside dimensions are 41.5 x 35.5 x 20.25 deep
  • Lighting – I have a 4ft vivosun 4 bulb with one t5ho 5.0 Reptisun uvb bulb, (bought an arcadia t5 6% but when I put it in one end of it started on fire in side so I will be sending that back). ☹️ currently no heat as that is what Brian recommended for my baby but if I need it I do have a deep heat projector for heat. Lights on from 8am to 8pm.
  • Temperature - Basking spot is around 78 to 79F Top ambient daytime 77 Middle and Bottom are close to the same at 73 to 71. Night time drop is Top 67 and again Middle and Bottom are about the same at around 65 to 66. I have 3 Govee 1 on top close to basking area, one middle and one on the bottom.

• Humidity – The daytime Top is around 43% middle is around 45% Bottom 50% nighttime Top 70% Middle (sleeping spot) 80% Bottom 75%. I have an automatic misting system but for some reason the system isn’t spraying when its supposed to so I ordered the govee plug to set up the spray times. Hopefully that will take care of the humidity for him because I have woke up and had to go turn on the system due to low levels? I have 3 Govee as stated above 1 on top close to basking area one in the middle and one on the bottom.
  • Plants – All live plants, pothos (not in yet had some personalproblemsto deal with), umbrella tree, Swiss cheese monstra, a palm tree, Chroma belize fiscus. I will be getting more but this is it for now.
  • Placement -in living room, no fans or air vents, some traffic. Cage is 6 feet tall.
  • Location – in Jefferson, Oregon 20230825_154220.jpg 20230823_165328.jpg 20230822_113529.jpg 20230825_164731.jpg 20230825_164739.jpg

When I got Jeb he was 4 months old and he didn’t eat like crazy for the first week he would eat a little here and there and I just chalked it up to adjusting. If it goes on for weeks I’d be concerned but not when he’s just getting used to his new home and you

When I got Jeb he was 4 months old and he didn’t eat like crazy for the first week he would eat a little here and there and I just chalked it up to adjusting. If it goes on for weeks I’d be concerned but not when he’s just getting used to his new home and you
Thank you, I figured that was what it was. That's how my Leo was too but man it's so scary. I didn't freak out over every little thing with my snakes but I had a lot of friends with them so that's probably why, I just know chams can be fragile so I get more concerned I guess lol.

Thank you, I figured that was what it was. That's how my Leo was too but man it's so scary. I didn't freak out over every little thing with my snakes but I had a lot of friends with them so that's probably why, I just know chams can be fragile so I get more concerned I guess lol.
Oh I get it! Until recently I’ve been a nervous wreck about everything 😀

Just out of curiosity how much dubia and silks should I be offering him a day? I know I need to get other types of food for him but right now this is what I have.

So I just got my boy Groot and I'm pretty sure this is normal, but as I told @Beman I was going to be a complete worry wart lol...
I picked him up from the airport on the 23rd, that night he ate 1 silk, the next morning he also only ate 1 silk, I offered him some small dubia in his screen feeder but he didn’t eat them. I have been feeding him the silks out of my hand so he will associate me with good things. But today he only ate 2 out of hand so I started to get worried (I know they can go a for a little while without food🤪) but, due to his age I put some free range silks in his Viv so he has now had 5 small silks and I think (not sure) 2 sm dubia today. Is that enough for him to be eating lol I'm scared he isn't eating enough and I don't want to kill him. I know babies can be fragile and I think that is what has me worried. He is just now starting to explore his environment so that makes me happy im just worried about the food situation.
I feel almost stupid for even posting this as I am not new to reptiles and I know it takes 2 weeks or longer depending on the animal for them to get used to their new homes. But... ya-know lol I can't help it. 🤷‍♀️
Hun are you only hand feeding or did you get a feeder run? IME you want to load up the feeder run. You want to make sure there is a branch that goes right up to it so he can see into the run.

I am also loading up the feeder run and yes there is a branch that goes right up to it.
While I am replying to you today after eating instead of going to his basking branch he went to the ledge in the top that is 4 incnes from the uv light will this burn him and if so how far should I lift it off the screen.

So I have another question he has been sitting a lot with his mouth open today he so a little yesterday but not a lot I'm wondering if it isn't getting cool enough at night for the misting. I know he is hydrated I'm thing too hydrated so I'm thinking about leasing the amount I'm misting but I'm worried he won't be hydrated enough. Picture of his poop as of today. When it dried there was no poop part😥 1000002592.jpg

Attachments

• 1000002553.jpg
    1000002553.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 37
K keep an eye on the poop and share that when you find some.

Remind me, you just got him not too long ago correct? What are his temps and humidity levels? He might be getting used to his new environment, or he might be starting a shed. Don't panic yet :)

K keep an eye on the poop and share that when you find some.

Remind me, you just got him not too long ago correct? What are his temps and humidity levels? He might be getting used to his new environment, or he might be starting a shed. Don't panic yet :)
On the 23rd

So I added one of my digital thermostat hydrometers into the cage and waited for it to acclimate. Now where this picture says 67.3 temp and 80% humidity is after misters went off (i forgot to screen shot a pic before but it did say 68.something and 50% humidity. But my digital said 75 and 37% humidity so idk what is right. 1000002593.jpg Is there a way to calibrate the govee?

Back
Top Bottom