What is the Best 18" linear bulbs & hood.

Kaseabra

What is the best brand of linear hood that is compatible with 18" bulbs? I would prefer a dual.

Do they make good 18" basking bulbs? I found lots of good UVBs but not warm UVAs.

Or are the linear UVBs warm enough that having both would be enough for my veiled?

Or should I get a single linear UVB and keep the dome for basking? Lastly what's the difference between the high output and the regular? Is the high output more UVB, more light, or more heat?

Also what's the best bulbs for a veiled?

I currently use a dual dome with a daylight basking bulb and a compact UVB but I want to upgrade to linear for multiple reasons.

If you have another chameleon, or think you might get one, get a 4-foot fixture that can span 2 cages; you will save lots of money on the initial purchase of the fixture, and in buying 1 bulb instead of 2. Arcadia lights are a sponsor here, and Todd will help you sort out the puzzle of good lighting.

CHEERS!

Nick

Thank you @nick barta I won't be getting another cham in the foreseeable future and money isn't a concern for us as much as looks. I am converting a tall Ikea display cabinet into a new home for Calypso. So I need it to be short enough to fit into the cabinet. So 18" is the only option.

http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/24...-arcadia-6-and-6-5k-day-light-bulbs-included/

OUta stock...

Still the best bet is 2 22" T5HO's.

If you are really stuck with 18" Then you need to go with a 12" 15 watt T5HO reptisun 10.0

https://www.amazon.com/Reptile-T5HO-Standard-Fixture-Reflector/dp/B01DDRVB9K
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26042-Reptisun-Fluorescent/dp/B00MDWFQMK

My googlefoo cant find a dual 12" fixture. However a single with reflector will put out 66% of what a dual will. Just because you have a dual doesnt mean your lumens doubles, dual fixtures put out like 150-166% of a single.

Thank you @nightanole
I might go with the single 12" then, does anyone know if they make a 12" bulb that is good for UVA/Basking? Or should I do dome for a basking spot and the bar for UVB?

Also why the 10.0? I've read many time the 5.0 is best? Or in the bar with a single and 12" would the 10.0 be better?

Thank you @nightanole
I might go with the single 12" then, does anyone know if they make a 12" bulb that is good for UVA/Basking? Or should I do dome for a basking spot and the bar for UVB?

Also why the 10.0? I've read many time the 5.0 is best? Or in the bar with a single and 12" would the 10.0 be better?

You go by cage penetration. A 5.0 is great for "fish" tanks because it only puts out usable uvb for 8-10" away from the bulb. Not so good for a cham cage that is 3-4 ft tall.

That is an excellent choice depending on what bulbs come with it.

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/reptile_uvb200-linear.php

pick the 100-200 models based on trying to get 20uw/cm2 at mid cage. So assuming you have a 3ft tall cage, and you had 2 bulbs, you would want 2 UVB100 PT2384 since that would the min 20uw at 18".

Now mind you can go much much higher. Us arcadia owners with 6% T5HO's will be putting out 5-10 times that level, and that still is only about 2 UVI(a UVI is about 40uw/cm2), by contrast the sunnest day in summer has a UVI of 6.5.

Nvm, I can't find live plant 15" bulbs, it seems exo-terra is one of the only companies who make 15" linear bulbs at all.

Thank you @nightanole , does arcadia make 15" bulbs? Would it be good to do one live plant bulb and one 10.0? Do you know any good live plant bulbs?

Arcadia stops there T5HO line at 22". Is is slim pickings finding good 12-15" bulbs.

As far as you keep asking about grow lights, it would be better to have 2 5.0/6% vs 1 10/12% and a 6500k grow bulb. If you still want to hunt for grow lamps, look into the fish section, the ultrasun line is what i use for my 6500k bulbs, which are just color perfect grow lamps.

Also plants do very well with a halogen wide flood basking light mid tank, which means another vote for your 2 bulb setup.

Finally i hear there are modern LED grow lights that work much better vs florescent, since i have not done the research on those, i have no recommendations of models.

Back
Top Bottom