Weak and sleepy Chameleon

Emi.ea

Hello everybody,

I am very worried about my Chameleon and I need help. Couple of days ago my Chameleon started shedding. The first it started from eyes and everything was ok. After both eyes were completely shed for 5 minutes Chameleon was normally walking and everything was fine, after 5-10 minutes he opened his mouth started hissing and jerking. After it he was very weak and unstable, then I gave him water and he seemed getting back to the normal conditions. After couple of hours he started to be very weak again, very unstable, couldn't stay on the tree. He slept on the ground the whole night. Now his eyes not reacting, he is still weak and unstable, but the color of his tail gets white (looks like he lost his green color) and he has some white spots on his body. I know that in such cases I have to go to the Vet ASAP but we were in 3 Vet clinics today and the earliest time which they have for the appointment is tomorrow morning. Could you, please, let me know if maybe anybody's chameleon has the same things when they are shedding? Or it is anything else? Thank you very much in advance!

Hey there welcome to the forum. Can you please post pics of the chameleon and a pic of the cage with the lights on top? Can you include your basking temp and ambient temp along with your humidity levels for daytime?

The jerking does not sound abnormal with a shedding cham. They will puff and stretch their bodies in all directions. Some will hiss when letting out the air. They do this motion to help let the shed lift off the skin and break it in sections so it falls away easier.

But the other stuff your saying is not normal so the pics and info will help.

Hey there welcome to the forum. Can you please post pics of the chameleon and a pic of the cage with the lights on top? Can you include your basking temp and ambient temp along with your humidity levels for daytime?

The jerking does not sound abnormal with a shedding cham. They will puff and stretch their bodies in all directions. Some will hiss when letting out the air. They do this motion to help let the shed lift off the skin and break it in sections so it falls away easier.

But the other stuff your saying is not normal so the pics and info will help.

Attachments

• CD6C03F2-F205-4C30-B97D-1736BCC42CA5.jpeg
    CD6C03F2-F205-4C30-B97D-1736BCC42CA5.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 30
  • 754D60AF-6BCF-4169-A7B1-E44EC980B98C.jpeg
    754D60AF-6BCF-4169-A7B1-E44EC980B98C.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 29
Hello, thank you very much for your reply. I attached the photos now. I made them today in the morning.

Hello and welcome! I'm sorry to hear your baby boy isn't feeling well. His eyes look very sore :( In addition the photos you have shared, completing a husbandry review will also help give us an idea on any adjustments you may need to make to help your sweet boy. If you'll copy the form below and fill out your answers with as much detail as possible, that would be awesome.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

So yes a husbandry review would be good for you. But you need a reptile vet. If you let us know what city and state you live in we can try to assist with finding one near you.

The eyes are not normal. They should not be fully extended out like that. If this is how he is holding them 24/7 then there is something major going on with this boy. The white on the skin does not look like normal shed in these pics.

What UVB light type are you using? I have seen this crusty white with the use of a mercury vapor uvb/heat bulb. If this is what you are using it is actually damaging the skin and that is what the white crust is.

His abdomen is also abnormally extended.

Back
Top Bottom