Weak and Eyes stay closed

I keep a shoe box with a heat pack in it under every cham cage, just in case I have to "evacuate" with them. I also keep a pair of strudy gloves, in case one of them resists leaving the cage and force is the only option due to severe circumstances. I also keep a good emergency fund in case of vet needs. And I always keep aside at least one vacation day from work should I need it for pet issues. My vet is not nearby - that wont stop me from going when I need to. I dont think that's much to ask. If one takes responsibility for a life, one ought be responsible.

ChelseaFC, The people here care about chameleons. that's why there is frustration if you ask for advice then appear to do nothing with that advice but ignore it. This gives the impression you dont really seem interested in doing what you need to in order to save your chameleon. Attacking a long standing member who has a very high level of knowledge and experience doesnt help either - you probably lost the support of one of the top ten best resources on this forum.

But here's Three thoughts for you:
  • Vitamin A, D3 and Calcium need to be in balance. If you've been loading him up on D3, failing to gutload, and using only crickets as your feeder instead of a nice healthy variety, perhaps that has contributed to the problem.
  • Do continue to give him as much water as he needs, several times a day.
  • It sounds like you could provide your chameleon with a "liquid diet" since he is drinking for you - smash up some GUTLOADED crickets AND a few other insects with some water and a little PLAIN calcium (no D3 for now)and a little VITAMIN (not mineral) supplement. Drip that on the leaves, and see if he will lap it up. If not you may have to force feed, which you should not attempt unless there is no alternative.
Information about gutloading that could be helpful:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...sphorus-ratios-common-good-gutload-foods.html

A list of varoius feeder choices and info about each:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/74-feeders.html Your chameleon can only benefit from eating more than just crickets.

Last edited:
Have you tried giving him a shower yet?? This could really help him since he is so thirsty. Also, I agree with making a liquid diet out of insects for him.

The least you can do is call the University to see if going there for free is an option. If you are not willing to drive 3 hours for a FREE vet visit, then honestly I don't think your chameleon will get any better.

Have you tried giving him a shower yet?? This could really help him since he is so thirsty. Also, I agree with making a liquid diet out of insects for him.

The least you can do is call the University to see if going there for free is an option. If you are not willing to drive 3 hours for a FREE vet visit, then honestly I don't think your chameleon will get any better.

I did this and my cham took some! Great idea. I used a mortar an pestal to grind down some butter worms, crickets, water, cal and multivitamin.

So it's been a few day, how is your cham doing? What have you done in the last couple of days for him? I certainly can understand money issues in this economy, but if you are expecting a refund, try to borrow the money and just pay them back. Also a 3 hour drive might sound like alot but considering the time and money you've already spent on him, isn't he worth the drive? I agree that if SOMETHING is not done quickly, he probably doesn't have much hope. I've included a bug juice recipe that have pulled my chams through some pretty tough times. Also if you can't come up with the funds anyway possible, have you tried calling around for reptile rescues? Just be careful in your selection if you do find one and get some references to verify that they are legit BEFORE handing over your pet!!!

Bug Juice:
This was created by Susan James and approved by Ken Lopez, DVM
Add only enough of the ingredients below to liquify the insects enough for them to be drawn into a syringe.
Ensure Plus
Pedialyte
Egg yolk.
Make sure you refrigerate any that is left over and it only lasts for about 48 hours.

He has shown signs of getting better but then sometimes he looks worse i try and feed him crickets but he is to weak to take them. He just lets them walk like right by him.

I have gave him the shower and he did wake up a little.
As of now he is really weak and cant really hang on.

where can i find a syringe with a soft tip.

He has shown signs of getting better but then sometimes he looks worse i try and feed him crickets but he is to weak to take them. He just lets them walk like right by him.

I have gave him the shower and he did wake up a little.
As of now he is really weak and cant really hang on.

where can i find a syringe with a soft tip.

I got one at a pharmacy counter. Try crushing some crickets and butterworms (or whatever bugs you want), add a little cal/d3 or just cal and some multivitamin and some water .. I also added a few drops of pedialyte and crush it until it is watery. Suck it up with the syringe. Spray your cham with water ... and if you see him licking the water of his mouth, hold the syringe steady and put drops at the tip of his mouth. Don't squirt it in just get a few drops. I saw a significant improvement in my cham ... don't give up!!! Keep hydrating/showering and keep the temp a tiny bit higher than usual. I have mine at 90 (tip I was given from a breeder). Heat/humidity should help while ill from what I've been advised.

Someone posted about a prescription cat food (just means you buy it from the vet, not that you need a note) which was good for chameleons needing to be hand fed. Hopefully that person is following this thread and will post what food it was. It would be easier than grinding up insects and could even be worked in as an "alternate" to keep the food interesting (because ailing animals of any kind seem to get bored with food..just my experience).

you can grind up cricketts and some worms with some supplement...make a paste out of it...then take a little of the paste and smear it on the chams lips...walk away for a couple of minutes and see if ur cham licks it off..keep doing that till ur cham stops licking it off

Back
Top Bottom