Veiled wants out

littlevillage

My male veiled Hammie that I got in mid June all of a sudden wants out of his cage. I'm not sure exactly of his age. He was about 3 inches long when I got him in June. Hammie has never been one to hide & play shy. I have never handled any of my chams because I know they don't like it. The other three either hide from me or hiss at me. Hammie on the other hand has never seemed to mind my presence & I've always fed him treats out of my hand. The other day when I tried to give him a treat instead of taking it, he crawled out on to me. Today he did the same thing & didn't want to go back in. I guess I'm wondering is it a case of being a friendly cham or is he not happy w/ his home. He always seemed fine before & nothing has changed. The temps are all correct. He has a dripper & gets misted 3-4 times a day. Live plants & lots of branches. Uvb light & basking light. 18x18x36 cage for now. What do you all think?

I think he's just friendly and enjoys being out of that cage. My veiled hates his cage and when I'm around to watch him, I let him roam and explore the house.....he loves it!

You and I are both blessed to have a friendly veil. My little man begs to come out of his cage. I ended up putting a ficus tree by the livingroom window with his lights over it and he hangs out in the tree most days.

shoot, my cham figured out how to work the zipper on his screened in enclosure so that he could escape when i wasn't around. :confused: Seriously. Everyday I would come home from work and have to go find hermie ... I think that some just enjoy it. Hermie doesn't particularly enjoy ME but he enjoys being out. Just be aware that if you let them out and don't keep an eye on them sometimes they are hard to find. Hermie escaped a few times and went missing for 36 hours. I still have NO idea where he went as I swear I tore the place apart looking for him. One time after being gone for 36 hours I woke up and found him chilling in his cage again (I always left the light on and door open for him just in case...)

I posted a thread this spring about my male veiled doing the same thing. He was actually pushing the screen door and squeezing out the little bugger. He went on like that for a couple of weeks then settled down. I thing it was that time of the year for him. I have another male panther now doing the same thing. I think it is their way of saying "time for a date over here" or something. Watch out they can be very clever on how to get out when they are that determined to do so.

Debby

My panther cham scratches on his door when he wants out, then usually he has his little wander around goes toilet in my room! and then walks back into his big mesh screen cage home cheeky cham!

my male veiled allways wants out if im in the room he will run down n try for ages 2 get out n i handel him alot and he never wants to go back home he also enjoys his chin being rubed he's also been one to never hide or be shy around anyone he's abit of a atention seeker lol

Back
Top Bottom