Please help me, tongue probelm

Chameldragon

Hello, please tell me that the translation was not smooth because I used a translator.

My chameleon went to the hospital yesterday because it spit out its tongue. The vet said he suspected it was respiratory and gave him antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication. He gave him the medicine around 10 this morning. I thought he was getting better because his reaction was getting better and he seemed to be trying to drink some water, but around 2pm this afternoon, while drinking water, he suddenly started spitting out his tongue like that again and was in pain. One time, he couldn't put his tongue in, so I helped him a little. Has the tongue become necrotic? I don't know what to do please help me really

Attachments

• IMG_0660.png
    IMG_0660.png
    792 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0659.png
    IMG_0659.png
    765.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0658.png
    IMG_0658.png
    682.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0657.png
    IMG_0657.png
    854.1 KB · Views: 9
I’m sorry to hear about your boys tongue problem. He will most likely need his tongue amputated. They can still live a good long life without a tongue. You will just have to hand feed him and eventually you can probably train him to eat from a cup. Here’s a recent post about a female chameleon that lost her tongue.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/chameleon-tongue-completely-detached.192244/
thank you for the reply. I was so upset that I cried a little sadly. The vet hasn't talked about amputation yet, but is it necessary given the current situation? Things won't get much better, right?

thank you for the reply. I was so upset that I cried a little sadly. The vet hasn't talked about amputation yet, but is it necessary given the current situation? Things won't get much better, right?
I’m so sorry that this is happening to your handsome boy. I can’t tell you what is wrong with his tongue, but him repeatedly spitting it out shows there is something serious going on. The coloring of his tongue doesn’t look so good either. If it turns dark purple or black, it is necrotic and there will be no saving it. Depending on what is wrong with it, the treatment may be amputation. Amputation does not mean the end for your boy. You’ll need to give him some special care until he heals and relearns to eat and drink.

In your previous post I asked you this…
“What supplements do you use and how often for each? I’m particularly looking for phos, calcium, D3 and the form of vitamin A.”

And this…
“Also, what UVB light are you using?is it the long linear type or the coiled or folded over type?”

I’m asking again. Sometimes the lack of appropriate supplements and nutrients and UVB will lead to tongue issues. Other reasons for tongue issues are infection, injury, etc. Even if it’s too late to save the tongue, it’s important to have the husbandry right so other health issues don’t occur too.

You might want to answer the questions in this thread so we can help you better…
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

If a chameleon’s tongue hangs out and it can’t retract it completely back into its mouth, it has to be kept moist so it won’t become necrotic (die)…and, of course it can not continue to hang out because the chameleon has to eat and will bite its tongue off trying if it can’t be retracted.

Also, even if it can retract it, in some cases, depending on why the trouble is there in the first place, it could swallow the tongue and the stomach juices will likely digest it and he’ll have no tongue.

In many cases, the only option is for the tongue to be amputated at the end of the hyoid spike (the “bone” on which the tongue is stored when it’s in the mouth). This has to be done by a vet because it needs to be done right or the chameleon won’t be able to cope with what remains of the tongue apparatus.

Sorry to have to give you this news.

Back
Top Bottom