chameleon tongue broken please help

Tongue amputations are a tricky thing.

With some chameleons, if part of the tongue is left, you will find them trying to “adjust” its position constantly in the throat area….and it can be a big stress on them. Hopefully this won’t be a problem for yours. Just keep and eye on it and watch the behaviour.

When you first start to feed them after the amputation, I would recommend that you hold the insect so the chameleon can see it and then put it close or even touch it on the chameleon’s lips. Hopefully your chameleon will just take it. I do this with the hope that it will not try to shoot its tongue out so the tongue can heal for a few days. After that you can let it learn that it has to go after the insect.

Good luck with it…hope it does well for you!

For hydration…if you use a dripper it might help at first until it figures things out for itself.
i was told to syringe feed him with this like once a day but i he’s really healthy has a very thick tail and lot of fat above the eyes i think i should let his tongue heal as much as possible and they gave me tramadol i gave him before he went to sleep and was told to give him that once or twice a day

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 48

With some chameleons, if part of the tongue is left, you will find them trying to “adjust” its position constantly in the throat area….and it can be a big stress on them. Hopefully this won’t be a problem for yours. Just keep and eye on it and watch the behaviour.

When you first start to feed them after the amputation, I would recommend that you hold the insect so the chameleon can see it and then put it close or even touch it on the chameleon’s lips. Hopefully your chameleon will just take it. I do this with the hope that it will not try to shoot its tongue out so the tongue can heal for a few days. After that you can let it learn that it has to go after the insect.

For hydration…if you use a dripper it might help at first until it figures things out for itself.
thank you i will keep a good eye on it it looks like it sits right in him mouth right now

Yea i had to "bait" mine. Show him the feeder at normal tongue shot distance, then as soon as he winds up run it right to his semi open mouth. it takes a few tries, but its better than watching him dry fire a a few times getting frustrated and inching closer and closer to the feeder.

i have been giving him tramadol twice a day once in the morning and once at night since wednesday, he was all good until about yesterday he was sleeping or just had his eyes closed a majority of the day i thought maybe give him less tramadol so i didn’t give him any at night or this morning and he’s still consistently having his eyes closed what should i do

also i am having a hard time keeping his mouth open to give him the liquid food any recommendations on how to get his mouth open im just pulling his lip down and like easing it in but that doesn’t work with the food because it’s a little thicker than the water and tramadol

also i am having a hard time keeping his mouth open to give him the liquid food any recommendations on how to get his mouth open im just pulling his lip down and like easing it in but that doesn’t work with the food because it’s a little thicker than the water and tramadol

it may be a two man job. I pull the chin meat ( is it a dewlap on chams?) gently with constant pressure. They are very strong but have no work capacity so they give in pretty quick. Might help to wrap in towel. Ive got it down to a fine science since ive been giving a certain cockatiel .4ml (2-3 rain drops) every day for the past 4 years.

Other than that, if you have a real thin syringe like 5ml or 10ml, you may be able to squirt it into the cheek.

Finally if he can eat feeders, just direct inject using a diabetic needle into the feeder and hope it doesnt squirt on first chomp.

Nah that actually looks good, he has the strength to vertical bask :)
thank you very much for your help i will try to do that when feeding i also see that sometimes he only closes one eye sometimes does that mean he is in pain? the eye alternates so i don’t think he has a problem with his eyes

This might help…notice that the end of the syringe is put back fairly rar in the mouth so the chameleon won’t aspirate the liquid…

One more…

okay i’m gonna try that way on top tomorrow i haven’t tried that way that looks like it should work thank you

This might help…notice that the end of the syringe is put back fairly rar in the mouth so the chameleon won’t aspirate the liquid…

One more…

okay i’m gonna try that way on top tomorrow i haven’t tried that way that looks like it should work thank you

So very sorry for your loss. I’m sure he's in chameleon heaven now enjoying all the bugs and the sunshine. Keep him in your heart!

Back
Top Bottom