chameleon tongue broken please help

plzhelp

I was feeding my panther chameleon and he missed my cricket badly and hyper extended his tongue. It drops out of his mouth but he gets it back in. It is time to shut his lights off so i pray he gets good rest and keeps his tongue in his mouth. I don’t see any reptile vets around my area i don’t know if there’s anything i can do to help please help me.

Hi and welcome to the forum! So sorry you’re going through this with your little one. We have some members who may be able to help you find a vet in your area. Where are you located?

sarasota florida i’m willing to drive a distance if needed i cant seem to find any thing but they’re all closed right now because it’s 9 pm so i can’t call and ask

SARASOTA / BRADENTON, FL Area

Bayshore Animal Hospital
1511 Florida Blvd.
Bradenton, Fl. 34207
(941)756-5544

They have one vet that treats chameleons, but I can't remember his name since I've only seen him once. But I was impressed by the thoroughness of his questions. They were more thorough than the help form here! :D
This info was from way back in 2010, so I’ve no way to verify if it’s still an option.

Also you have a chameleon vet in the Tampa area. I’ll get you her info and attach it below.
Dr. Tracy Anderson, 7620 66th Street N ... 727-398-7601, St Petersburg, FL
This is more recent, from 2019.

If worse comes to worse, there are a couple in Orlando.
https://myavho.com/
https://www.orlandoexoticveterinarian.com/

This info was from way back in 2010, so I’ve no way to verify if it’s still an option.

This is more recent, from 2019.

If worse comes to worse, there are a couple in Orlando.
https://myavho.com/
https://www.orlandoexoticveterinarian.com/
thank you very much that helps a lot they are all closed right now and my guy is sleeping i checked on him around an hour after i shut the light off i didn’t see his eyes but he is resting with his mouth closed and his tongue in his mouth at least. i will see what happens in the morning i have read that if he can retract it that is a good sign and it could heal so i just pray.

I would wither not feed him for a day or two or feed him in such a way that he doesn’t try to extend his tongue. If the tongue hangs out and won’t retract on its own, keep it moist with water and get to a vet right away.

I would wither not feed him for a day or two or feed him in such a way that he doesn’t try to extend his tongue. If the tongue hangs out and won’t retract on its own, keep it moist with water and get to a vet right away.
thank you thankfully he can retract it in on his own even tho he struggles a little bit, i have read online don’t feed for around 5 days, he is a fat guy so he will be okay without food for the week im about to turn on the lights here in a minute i hope he is okay😞

he is alive but doesn’t look the best color and his mouth looks a weird shape i just hope this poor guy can keep his tongue in his mouth for a couple days it kept falling out last night it almost looked like he was testing it just seeing what’s going on any recommendations on how to give him water😕

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 60
Poor guy. Many chameleons have had to get their tongues amputated unfortunately. I can’t recall exactly which member who’s currently active that has experience with this, but I think it’s @nightanole Of course, @kinyonga can help with her wealth of knowledge and experience too.

Poor guy. Many chameleons have had to get their tongues amputated unfortunately. I can’t recall exactly which member who’s currently active that has experience with this, but I think it’s @nightanole Of course, @kinyonga can help with her wealth of knowledge and experience too.
thank you i will post an update after i get him back if anyone has had this happen to them plz let me know how you took care of your cham the best way after surgery

he is doing good so far the lady that did the surgery said that she didn’t have to cut off his whole tongue and that there was still some healthy part do you guys think that’s okay that sounded kinda off to me but i’m sure she knows a whole lot more than me

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 62
As long as he is continuing to fully grip branches and is not having issues falling etc you should be able to keep him in the cage.

You may need to add a few additional branches in the cage so he has an easier time moving around.

I do not know enough about amputated tongues to give detailed info. Did the vet tell you how long to wait before feeding him?

Hydration and food intake are the two harder things when they do not have a full tongue. They have to relearn how to do both. So you will more than likely have to hand feed all his food. Make sure you have a dripper running so he has constant access to water.

Best case, he now has an iggy tongue that doesnt shoot out. he will still eat just like a beardy, he will learn quick to run after feeders.

Odds are you are going to need a mister or mist him if he doesnt have enough to drink off of leaves. In that case he will adapt quickly to just drinking the water running off his face during the misting.

Ive heard of a few that learned to "dip and scoop" out of bowl but i havent seen that myself.

Tongue amputations are a tricky thing.

With some chameleons, if part of the tongue is left, you will find them trying to “adjust” its position constantly in the throat area….and it can be a big stress on them. Hopefully this won’t be a problem for yours. Just keep and eye on it and watch the behaviour.

When you first start to feed them after the amputation, I would recommend that you hold the insect so the chameleon can see it and then put it close or even touch it on the chameleon’s lips. Hopefully your chameleon will just take it. I do this with the hope that it will not try to shoot its tongue out so the tongue can heal for a few days. After that you can let it learn that it has to go after the insect.

Good luck with it…hope it does well for you!

For hydration…if you use a dripper it might help at first until it figures things out for itself.

Back
Top Bottom