Urgent Help needed, is this a prolapse?

Tony_S

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I went to check in on Ezekiel before lights out to see where he was going to sleep for the night.

I noticed something protruding from his rectum area. I also noticed a poop on the substrate layer below where he was.

I've been messaging back and forth with @Chameleon Mike and he hasn't seen this before with his chameleons.

Mike asked me to take a picture of EZ from underneath. When I went to try to get EZ to move he started to climb up the branch and it went back in.

After I left him go he went back to settle back into his sleeping spot for the night. After he curled up his tail again it came back out.

Here is my build thread and my tune-up thread listing everything I have and do.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/please-critique-my-setup.171603/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/my-bioactive-build.170830/

First picture is when I first found him. Second pic is him moving up the branch after I tried to get him to move on my hand. Third pic is him back in his sleeping spot.

Tony and I went back and forth about possibilities but I asked him to post this trend to get some other opinions. Ezekiel will be 6 months in a couple of weeks and I told him he can dial back the feedings a bit. The last 2 days he's had 32. 3/4" crickets.

Is that correct @Tony_S

Looks like a prolapse to me - at least a partial one. Can't tell from that angle If it's hemipenal or intestinal. I'm afraid all I know to do is to keep it moist with a water based lubricant (such as KT jelly) and get him to a vet asap. It could be due to large feedings of "tougher" insects, but some individuals are also just prone to prolapse.

@kinyonga can describe the sugar water method to reduce/retract prolapses. I havent personally used it, and wouldnt be comfortable trying to give instructions.

That is correct.

Thursday he ate 9 crickets.
Friday 10 crickets and 3 black soldier flies
Saturday 16 crickets
Sunday 16 crickets

he has been ignoring the silks, bsfl, and roaches so far.

Crickets are all 1/2-3/4" in size

Could be a matter of a lot of chitin causing issues; have his stools been bulky and a little on the hard side at all?

I'd put some KY jelly or similar on it and look into a vet. Could be that it'll retract on it's own, but... I wouldn't risk it. Could try the sugar water method - @Brodybreaux25, you're familiar with this, correct? I havent actually used it myself, and don't want to give out the wrong info.

Looks like a prolapse to me - at least a partial one. Can't tell from that angle If it's hemipenal or intestinal. I'm afraid all I know to do is to keep it moist with a water based lubricant (such as KT jelly) and get him to a vet asap. It could be due to large feedings of "tougher" insects, but some individuals are also just prone

Hemipenal prolapses look different from what I've seen. They're also bright red.

Idt the large/tough things plays a role. Most of their wild diet is beetles and locust. Crickets are much softer. I also feed lots of large feeders, never seen this. Like you mention, could be just one of those unlucky things some are more prone to.

How long has it been like this? I agree with keeping moist

I didn't notice it when I was sitting with him around 5:30 today. He was climbing around his branches.

I just noticed it around 7:30 when I went to check on him.

I just called the emergency vet line and the oncall vet does not see exotics.

They gave me another number to call to see if anyone else on call in my area see's exotics.

My vet that does exotics is not oncall tonight. The on-call vet gave me another after hours vet to call. I called them and got their answering service, they paged him and now I'm waiting for them to call me back.

I'd have to run to the store to get ky jelly.

We have coconut oil that is animal safe. Would that work.

The threads mentioning ky just say to keep it moist. Multiple applications may be needed until the vet

You have quite a few posts so rather than having to look through them all...can you please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum.

I agree with Lynda, (Kinyonga). It looks like something is trying to prolapse but maybe not a hemipene.
As others have said use PLAIN KY jelly to keep it moist.

Back
Top Bottom