Urgent Help needed, is this a prolapse?

I used it on one of my males that was truly prolapse wouldn't retract and he was rubbing it raw on a branch. After several soaks I applied honey, it went back in after an hour or so and the swelling went down within a few days. I could have been lucky or it could have been coincidence.

did you use anything else besides KY jelly?
Sugar soak in warm water. KY jelly. Raw honey. I bought the manuka honey today and only used it once. I called an exotic vet and made an appointment for Monday morning. I think as long as I can keep the inflammation down and he’s able to bring it back in I should be ok.

Ezekiel is still doing this. Mostly like picture one. He will have only one side sticking out for hours and then he'll pull that side in and put the other side out. Or he will have both sides out or none at all. Last night at bed time (he was a sleep) the left side was out. I checked on him before the lights came on this morning (he was still asleep) and the right side was out.

I even had an appointment with the vet at 8:45am this past Monday morning to take care of it. He had it out for several hours Saturday afternoon. No one is home weekdays to keep an eye on him. Of course Monday morning nothing was out and he looked fine. The vet told me over the phone to start tracking it when I notice it and how long it has been out on that particular side.

The vet also told me that maybe this is just his normal thing now that he is getting older. Will be 6 months on December 9th.

After talking back and forth on the branch licking thread. I wonder if Ezekiel can tell the the female Peri was in that enclosure before him?

Ezekiel is still doing this. Mostly like picture one. He will have only one side sticking out for hours and then he'll pull that side in and put the other side out. Or he will have both sides out or none at all. Last night at bed time (he was a sleep) the left side was out. I checked on him before the lights came on this morning (he was still asleep) and the right side was out.

I even had an appointment with the vet at 8:45am this past Monday morning to take care of it. He had it out for several hours Saturday afternoon. No one is home weekdays to keep an eye on him. Of course Monday morning nothing was out and he looked fine. The vet told me over the phone to start tracking it when I notice it and how long it has been out on that particular side.

The vet also told me that maybe this is just his normal thing now that he is getting older. Will be 6 months on December 9th.

After talking back and forth on the branch licking thread. I wonder if Ezekiel can tell the the female Peri was in that enclosure before him?

Awesome observation him picking up on her scent makes perfect sense. Especially seeing as how they wipe there cloacas on the branches after every movement

I thought I quoted the thread, But like this picture #1 that you posted is what Ezekiel is doing still.

I thought I quoted the thread, But like this picture #1 that you posted is what Ezekiel is doing still.

View attachment 252774
The morning after I took this picture I soaked him in warm water and ended up pulling out a long piece of shed or sperm plug. Before that he couldn’t get either side back in. Now he just randomly lets his junk hang out.

Wifes an experienced cardiac nurse in one of the best hospitals in the US... bleeds everywhere on her floor. They use honey for wounds.

So manuka is just a type of honey from a bush in New Zealand that is shown to have increased antibiotic properties in comparison to regular honey. Regular honey, I believe, has a pretty good ability at keeping wounds clean, but manuka takes it a step further... that's my simple understanding at least.

I 100% agree with honey on wounds - we use honey bandages in some wounds that just won't heal in veterinary medicine. Had a cat with half of her front leg degloved that got a fresh honey bandage and hydrotherapy every 2-3 days for nearly 2 months, and it was a borderline miraculous recovery!

However, I wouldn't advise using honey (Manuka or otherwise) for internal applications. That's just asking for trouble and there's a reason why, while using honey bandages, we thoroughly irrigate the wound between bandage changes. You can't properly rinse something on the inside of the body. Does it always cause a problem? No. But it very well could, and I don't want to roll those dice. I like to make evryone aware of the risks! (y)

It's bothering me that your male is still doing it @Tony_S ...it makes me think that there is something going on....but I don't know what at this point.

@Amy79 ...in a couple of the photos you posted there is definite swelling "south" of the vent (down the tail) in post #79.

It's bothering me that your male is still doing it @Tony_S ...it makes me think that there is something going on....but I don't know what at this point.

@Amy79 ...in a couple of the photos you posted there is definite swelling "south" of the vent (down the tail) in post #79.
I have contacted and made an appointment with my Herp vet. After explaining the situation, her opinion was that it did not appear to be an emergency since he is able to retract. I was told to keep doing what I am doing by keeping the area clean and moist with KY Jelly and sugar water soaks. Luckily I’m at home for most of the day and I can keep my eye on things.

@kinyonga , it's also bothering me that it keeps happening but not all the time. Yesterday after work it wasn't out, last night at bedtime (after asleep) it wasn't out, and this morning before and after he woke up it wasn't out.

I'm at a loss since I'm new to chameleons and the vet doesn't want to take any drastic measures if he's able to retract it in and keep it in on his own. Which is why the vet for now told me to keep an eye on it and track when and how long I see it like that. I'll know more tomorrow if it is happening for extended periods of time in the daytime since its the weekend and I'll be home all day long.

@kinyonga , it's also bothering me that it keeps happening but not all the time. Yesterday after work it wasn't out, last night at bedtime (after asleep) it wasn't out, and this morning before and after he woke up it wasn't out.

I'm at a loss since I'm new to chameleons and the vet doesn't want to take any drastic measures if he's able to retract it in and keep it in on his own. Which is why the vet for now told me to keep an eye on it and track when and how long I see it like that. I'll know more tomorrow if it is happening for extended periods of time in the daytime since its the weekend and I'll be home all day long.

I think all you can do right now is keep an eye on it. There are quite a few reasons why this happens and it's not easy to figure out which one it is.

Back
Top Bottom