Urgent Help needed, is this a prolapse?

Ok. I just got back from Walmart and applied plain ky jelly to it.

The 2nd oncall vet called me back and also does not see exotics. He says the ky jelly is a good thing to do. He said the nearest ER vet hospital to me is 90
Minutes away and said it was my call if I did that or waited for my regular vet at 8am. He thought it could wait until 8am. But he also doesn’t deal with reptiles.

Here is what it looks like after the application.

It seems to go from side to side. I put ky jelly on it, and it went in on that side and came out on the other side of him. So I lubed that side of him to make sure it was covered and it came back out on the original side.

You have quite a few posts so rather than having to look through them all...can you please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum.
Sorry @kinyonga I figured most were familiar with my setup.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Panther just received him 3 days ago on Thursday
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Only to take him out of the shipping box
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? 1/2-3/4" crickets, Thursday 9, Friday 10, saturday 16 and today Sunday 16.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repashy calcium plus LoD every feeding. I'm only dusting 6 of the crickets with the supplement.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Mistking 90 seconds 15 minutes before lights on and 2 minutes 30 minutes before lights out.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Looks good, haven't had a chance to make a vet appoinment.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Exo Terra 36x18x36 active bio
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 6% arcadia t5ho. 3.5 UVB at his back with a solar meter
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 82.3 at his back with a heat gun.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 55-65% during the day and 99% over night.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? live plants
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Man cave, I'm only in there a few hours a day.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Pennsylvania

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Should I drive the 90 minutes to the ER vet hospital or is the ky jelly enough until I can call my in town regular vet first thing tomorrow morning?

I'll do whatever is necessary, how often should I reapply the ky jelly to it?

I'll sleep on the couch in my man cave and set my phone alarm.

Well, I have no choice. I just called the Avets ER pet hospital to make sure before I make the 90+ minute drive and they do not see exotics.

I just got back from the vet.

I was putting on the ky jelly every 2 hours. At some point between the 2am and the 4am application it went back in on its own.

I still went ahead with the vet visit as soon as the doors opened at 8am.

Luckily Dr Vena was in who specializes in reptiles and other exotics. She looked at EZ and made his stuff pop out and said it was still a little swollen. She prescribed meloxicam drops for me to give him over the next 5 days.

She also said if it happens again we will have to talk about the next steps to correct it.

Since I was already going to the vets I used this as his wellness checkup and to have a fecal done.

They will let me know later today with the results since I didn’t have a scheduled appointment.

He seems fine right now.

Last edited:
I just got back from the vet.

I was putting on the ky jelly every 2 hours. At some point between the 2am and the 4am application it went back in on its own.

View attachment 252109

I still went ahead with the vet visit as soon as the doors opened at 8am.

Luckily Dr Vena was in who specializes in reptiles and other exotics. She looked at EZ and made his stuff pop out and said it was still a little swollen. She prescribed meloxicam drops for me to give him over the next 5 days.

She also said if it happens again we will have to talk about the next steps to correct it.

Since I was already going to the vets I used this as his wellness checkup and to have a fecal done.

They will let me know later today with the results since I didn’t have a scheduled appointment.

He seems fine right now.
Good to hear, glad you went ahead with the appointment anyway! Now go take a nap you deserve it

Good to hear, glad you went ahead with the appointment anyway! Now go take a nap you deserve it
I wish, I had to head straight to work. I have a software install scheduled with a 3rd party company from 1-5pm today that was already rescheduled 4 times.

I want the best for my animals. I'm not going to let him possibly suffer just so I can save a few bucks. I feel better knowing that I did everything that I could of done for him.

Also talking to my vet, she gave me a state college vet number that does after hours in case she is not on call and anything like this happens again.

You are such a good keeper. I hope they both stay in.
I do also, he gave me quite a scare after only having him for 3 days.

My wife even said to me last night when I asked if we had any KY-Jelly that maybe its the universe trying to say you shouldn't have a chameleon. I hope that's not the case.

I do also, he gave me quite a scare after only having him for 3 days.

My wife even said to me last night when I asked if we had any KY-Jelly that maybe its the universe trying to say you shouldn't have a chameleon. I hope that's not the case.

I keep a first aid kit for anything I need to have on hand for chameleons. There’s an old thread on here where members list what all they keep in their kit. We all have problems, they are a hard animal to keep and sometimes it seems like the harder we try to do the best possible, something still happens.

I keep a first aid kit for anything I need to have on hand for chameleons. There’s an old thread on here where members list what all they keep in their kit. We all have problems, they are a hard animal to keep and sometimes it seems like the harder we try to do the best possible, something still happens.

I'd love to have a link to that thread, or do you think it is outdated and we need to make a new list?

Now that we have good news we can start commenting on the size of that massive isopod :)

LOL, I didn't even notice it. I had to go back and look at the pics to see where it was. Yeah @jamest0o0 hooked me up. They have a tunnel/cave dug under the bottom edge of the foam walls. During the day the are all huddled in there like vampires waiting for the lights to go out.

Back
Top Bottom