Update on Luie’s Health Issues

Jann I am so glad you are getting answers, although they are not what would have expected! At least now the vet can help you figure out what to do and where to go from here with Luie. Keeping you all in my prayers.

Jann I am so sorry for what both you and Luie are going through. I am glad that you have figured out what is wrong and can go from there. Wishing you all the best..

Hi Jann, I missed this thread and wanted you to know how much I am pulling for your Luie. I am praying for a postitve outcome.

Thank you so much everyone. I'm back home with Luie and just gave him a nice long misting and dripping outside. Dr. Mader said he could have had a mouth infection that went into his bones but Dr. Alfonso has looked in Luie's mouth multiply times over the past 5 months.

Dayna, I have the x rays on a disk and will send them to you and Dr. Alfonso if he doesn't get a copy of everything from Dr. Mader. The x rays were so clear. I will also try to post them here.

Poor Luie! I know how much Twister hated being broken and having to take the pain meds! Dosing can be a pain.

Just glad to hear you getting some questions answered. Now I hope Luie gets better and better from here on out. I will keep fingers crossed for you.

Thank you Jackie for your very kind words.

Luie is about the same. Dr. Mader has still not received the results from the culture/sensitivity test or the biopsy and the wait is killing me. So as of now I still don't know if the antibiotic I'm giving him is even going to help the infection. Once the sensitivity test comes in we'll know which antibiotics work.

I finally got a chance to load the X rays in photo bucket and thought I'd post them. They are not as clear once I took them off the disk but here they are anyway.

BESOKLOUIEWBLAT0001-1.jpg

LouieBesok-1-1.jpg

LouieBesok-2.jpg

LouieBesok-3.jpg

LouieBesok-4.jpg

LouieBesok-6.jpg

LouieBesok-5.jpg

Jann,,, i understand your anxiety about the wait!!! hopefully you'll get the results back soon and will know what direction to go in!
we're all waiting and praying with you and Luie!!!!!!

Luie's biopsy and culture results are in

Thank you guys so much for your love and support.

The biopsy of the jaw came back, as expected, with osteomyelitis (bone infection).

The culture came with with NO anaerobic bacteria isolated, but several species of aerobic bacteria.* Of significance was the finding of Pseudomonas.* It was only sensitive to an oral ciprofloxacin which has been ordered from a compounded pharmacy and will be sent directly to my house overnight. I am praying my little man can hang in there. I am so very thankful that Luie might have a chance. I will do anything and everything that I can to save my little man.

Last edited:
Jann I'm so happy for you and Luie! I know your not out of the woods yet but so happy youve found out what's wrong and have a chance to treat it :) Hang in there Luie! Help is on its way! I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts and am wishing you well.

Jann, i hope Luie recovers from this and he is a very lucky chameleon to have such a loving mommy! I wish Luie all the best!

Pseudomonas is almost always involved in infections in chameleons. Now that you know what is going on let's hope he is on the way to recovery!

Jann, we are all hoping and praying that the antibiotics will help sweet Luie!! as has been said at least now you know what your dealing with and the path to take!
he's got the best Mommy and Dr.'s on his side! i will say a special prayer for him and you!
you keep a good thought and tell Luie to keep his chin up!!!!

C'mon Luie! We are all pulling for you!

And, Jann, if anybody can save him, you have the love and care to do it. You are the best!

How's he doing? How are you doing? Have you seen any change since starting the Cipro? Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Update on Luie

I'm almost afraid to say this because I don't want to jinks anything but I believe Luie is feeling a little better. He is more active and his color looks better. My vet Dr. Alfonso was here yesterday and he even thought Luie looked better than when he checked him last month. This will be his 7th. day of the Cipro and I am praying that it will continue to work and I'll get to enjoy having Luie in my live for a little while longer.

Back
Top Bottom