Update on Luie’s Health Issues

Poor Luie:/ seems like he is having some hard times and I'm sure is frustrating for you too! I feels for you both hope he can pull through and you all can figure out what's going on with him!
Good luck Jann and Luie:)

Just some brainstorming additionally, hope it may help or just give a hint.

Was just one "bump" removed? And this one was a chromatophoroma? The questions is... are the other bumps same tumors or different? Where are all these bumps located? Over here, there were some studies done about chromatophoroma in reptiles last year (HECKERS, AUPPERLE, RÜSCHOFF et al). They primarily searched for pigment building tumors in bearded dragons, but as far as I know there are only few studies about these tumors in reptiles at all. They wrote they often found melanophoroma (do you know which kind of chromatophoroma was found in your chameleon?) at the lizards' lateral abdomen and mention all chromatophoroma as potencially malign tumors, which recidivate and metastasize often. If there were metastases visibile in the x-rays yet, I'm sure your vet would have seen them. I can't say anything about the x-rays due to their small size.

Looking at the jaw problem, there are two things coming in my mind directly: Myositis, which would match the problems with all other muscles and not wanting to drink or eat, too. But if there was an inflammation inside his muscles, a differential haemogram would show increasing leucocytes. And you probably could notice sunken muscles in his casque and cheeks. At last, myositis in reptiles occur really seldom... I can't remember having heard of any described case in chameleons. Just mentioned as opportunity.

I would get x-rays from his head under general anesthesia to except another tumor affecting his jaw bones or muscles, which is another idea only thinking of the mouth opening problem. Same time, one could take a biopsy out of this mass inside his mouth. And additionally, your vet can examine your chameleon's mouth carefully under anesthesia. Sometimes it's really difficult to recognize lesions, masses or anything else inside a chameleon's mouth, especially as long as the chameleon is not willing to cooperate.

About the blood: I would always think about kidney issues causing the edema although the values were all right (not all, he had hyperphosphatemia). We only can see most values changing as soon as 75% of the kidneys are destroyed. Other causes might be heart failure (but I've only seen this as a reason in very few chameleons). The question ist whether the edema is caused by something in the jaw going on or is it an additional problem having nothing to do with the other problems. You mentioned CPK was increased: Might be caused by altered results, might even be caused by damages in heart muscle or skeleton muscle cells.

How old is Luie?

Unfortunately, I think your little guy does not only have one single problem. :(
Hope you will find out the reason for his problems with your vet soon.

Jann...wish I had some solution for you but I have never seen anything quite like that in a chameleon. I have seen "tumors" that stick out like that once again or twice but they have been white. I hope someone can figure it out for you!

Sorry for the late reply. It is the link that carol supplied. Ill repost it again though. http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/0...f-gout_28.html

Once a chameleon has edema like this, from my experinces. The animal will have to be put on a strict diet. I dont know if you do what i do but i do like to feed my kids a good amount. Some of the chameleons i have that has had edema this is what i have to do to keep it at bay.
1. No fatty feeders. Another reason to kick supers to the curb.
2. Watch the gut load ingredients. I choose plants that have a low phos content.
3. Careful with supplements. I typically use plain calcium at most feedings and a product like reptivite, sticky tongues, calcium plus every third or forth week.
4. Quantity of feeders. Dont have to starve them but they need to be restricted to a normal diet that keeps weight not gaining weight :) Here is a link that may help you. Each animal is different but this can give you a good base to start off with. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/ataraxia/677-want-know-how-much-feed-your-animal.html

Kinyonga: I think the white lumps that form and fall off sometimes leaving a raw like spot underneath that will eventually heal or will form another bump is a virus that chameleons can get. I cant remember what it is called atm but think it started with a C.

Last edited:
Jann - I wish you and Luie the best. I know how much he means not only to you, but to all of us here on the forums and I think I can speak for many when I say that it breaks our hearts to watch you have to go through something like this. The level of care and love you provide to all of your animals always shines through, and it's horrible to have you stumped in this matter. Good luck.

Thank you to everyone that is trying to help me to help Luie. I will be passing the info to Dr. Alfonsa. I am willing to try anything and do anything for Luie.

Thank you to all that are keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. We really need them.

Thank you Jason and Rob. Just think of the condition my heart is in Rob. I'm just worried sick. Dr. Alfonso has recommend I take Luie to Dr. Mader so I will be making the 4 hour drive to Marathon Friday in hopes that Dr. Mader can find out what's wrong with Luie.

Thanks again everyone for the thoughts and prayers for Luie. He really needs it.

I took Luie to Dr. Mader today and he has a bone infection and several fractures one being his jaw and that's why he's having a problem eating and one of his legs and that's why he's having a hard time getting around. He did a biopsy and put Luie on an antibiotic and told me to continue the Metacam for pain. He said it was really bad and that he might change the antibiotic when the biopsy results come back.

Oh no, Jann, I'm so sorry to hear that. But I am glad that you at least have more information and know what you have to deal with. Luie has been in my thoughts and prayers since this thread first started. I will continue to send positive thoughts your way.

Debbie

Jann does Dr. Mader have any idea what caused the bone infection.... I'm guessing that resulted in the fractures...
You know I'm keeping you and Luie in my thoughts and prayers.

Wow! I am so glad you have some answers, although that's an unusual result for sure. Which leg was broken? I wonder how this all started. Please keep us updated and I'm glad you at least have something to work with now! Keeping you and Luie and Red in my thoughts!

Jann, I'm sorry you and Luie are going through this. It's nice to see you doing all you can, like you always do. :) Luie will be in my thoughts and prayers. He may be old, but he's still got it ;)

Sorry to hear about the Luie condition worsening. It is always so tough to see a chameleons health diminish even though you do everything in your power to stop it. Sending good thoughts your way.

Jann I am so glad you are getting answers, although they are not what would have expected! At least now the vet can help you figure out what to do and where to go from here with Luie. Keeping you all in my prayers.

Back
Top Bottom