Ungraceful chameleon

hallenhe

Avid Member
I love my Thaxter. In 35 years, I have lived with 4 cats, 2 dogs, 2 guinea pigs, more fish than you could count, 14 lizards, and my husband's newt collection, and I think Thaxter is my all-time favorite pet. However, love does not blind me to the fact that, when grace was given out, Thaxter was not exactly at the front of the line. This morning, I caught him trying to climb onto his favorite lampshade. Right front foot on the lampshade, right hind foot gripping right front elbow, left hind foot firmly holding left front wrist, and left front foot at loose ends because some Mysterious Force was grabbing it tightly. I slipped in under him and got him on my hand; it took a minute or so for him to release his hold on his left front foot.
I have seen him grab his knees, elbows, wrists, feet and tail before; it seems like he's doing it much more now (4.5 years old), and figuring it out/letting go rather more slowly. We're not there quite yet, but I am beginning to plan out ways of curtailing his movement somewhat for his own safety, so he can't do the Plummeting Lizard Routine.

My melleri will grab her tail with one of her "huge" feet and get herself in a bind when she is trying to turn around on a branch. It's funny, but not. I could sit and watch them for hours. :D

My last chameleon, Henry, would grab a front foot with his hind foot and look at me. He would get so mad at me when i was holding him and he'd do it, I think he though I was grabbing his foot! It was commical and I'd help him out a bit and move one foot away from the other and he wouldn't be so mad anymore. I miss him :)

Back
Top Bottom