Need handling advice

frythecham

My Cham has been falling asleep outside of his enclosure which is fine with me. I let him out because he loves looking out the window that is on the left of his enclosure. I’ve been able to get him in safely every time but it takes like 30 minutes of slowly getting each foot on my fingers, petting his chin, and trying to make sure he stays asleep. In need of advice on how to get him in quicker but still peacefully for him.

I attached photos of the setup for reference

Attachments

• 43A2748E-4FBB-4F5F-9591-207C9CAAF0C6.jpeg
    43A2748E-4FBB-4F5F-9591-207C9CAAF0C6.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 51
  • A0FA6581-4F90-4315-B58F-6BC3B95F0179.jpeg
    A0FA6581-4F90-4315-B58F-6BC3B95F0179.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 487232D2-14D3-40EC-9B06-AFF08AEDFDC2.jpeg
    487232D2-14D3-40EC-9B06-AFF08AEDFDC2.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 49
So your chameleon is sleeping when it’s out of its cage? How long are you leaving it out of the cage? What’s the temperature where it’s sleeping outside of its cage? Does it stay awake when in its cage all day?
Where do you live?

So your chameleon is sleeping when it’s out of its cage? How long are you leaving it out of the cage? What’s the temperature where it’s sleeping outside of its cage? Does it stay awake when in its cage all day?
Where do you live?
Only at bedtime which is around 7pm. I try to only leave him out for an hour or two because I know he needs the uvb in his cage. It ranges during the day bc my ac is messed up but it’s anywhere from 72-76 during the day outside of his enclosure. Yes he’s awake all day whether in or out of his enclosure. I live in Houston

I personally would put him back in the cage before he beds down. Better for him to be able to tuck himself in and be firmly attached to his branches in the cage. Rather than you put him back in when he is not aware and does not get a good enough grip. Could result in a fall.

I personally would put him back in the cage before he beds down. Better for him to be able to tuck himself in and be firmly attached to his branches in the cage. Rather than you put him back in when he is not aware and does not get a good enough grip. Could result in a fall.
He’s always holding onto me tight when I put him back in that’s not so much the issue as is speeding up the process. I have trouble getting him in while he’s awake because…we’ll he’d rather be looking out the window lol but he’s also just temperamental while awake which is to be expected but other than coercing him with treat bugs and hoping he hops on while he’s awake I’m not sure how to go about it if that makes sense.

He’s always holding onto me tight when I put him back in that’s not so much the issue as is speeding up the process. I have trouble getting him in while he’s awake because…we’ll he’d rather be looking out the window lol but he’s also just temperamental while awake which is to be expected but other than coercing him with treat bugs and hoping he hops on while he’s awake I’m not sure how to go about it if that makes sense.
Oh wait I see what you mean. I do make sure he’s holding onto a branch firmly before I close the enclosure for the night but I see what you mean.

Oh wait I see what you mean. I do make sure he’s holding onto a branch firmly before I close the enclosure for the night but I see what you mean.
Yeah I just would not let him fall asleep outside of the cage... A startled chameleon can be an aggressive one.

You can teach him to step up onto a stick to put him back. Hold it right by his front legs and nudge him from the back. He will quickly learn that he cannot intimidate the stick lol. Having them trained also helps when they get out of reach such as the very back of an outdoor cage.

You can teach him to step up onto a stick to put him back. Hold it right by his front legs and nudge him from the back. He will quickly learn that he cannot intimidate the stick lol. Having them trained also helps when they get out of reach such as the very back of an outdoor cage.
Okay so when you say nudge him from the back do you mean like by his feet or like the start of his tail area? This is very helpful thank you so much!

Okay so when you say nudge him from the back do you mean like by his feet or like the start of his tail area? This is very helpful thank you so much!
Either one, or both! You are trying to literally move him forward a bit so he lifts up a front foot. Then place the perch under that foot so he will step on it; if you give him another little push they will usually put their second front foot up. Then if you begin to raise the stick (like pointing the tip upwards, not raising the entire stick) they usually will start to "climb" to get higher.

Sometimes they will initially get pissed and turn and hiss/try to bite, but that's ok your hand is sort of protected by the stick.

You want him to think that getting on his stick is a good thing, so you can give a bug reward as soon as he gets back in the cage. It will eventually become a trusted safe place for him.

My big evil veiled knows that the stick means he is going out to get some sun so he is very cooperative, unlike if I show him my hand.

Good luck!

Either one, or both! You are trying to literally move him forward a bit so he lifts up a front foot. Then place the perch under that foot so he will step on it; if you give him another little push they will usually put their second front foot up. Then if you begin to raise the stick (like pointing the tip upwards, not raising the entire stick) they usually will start to "climb" to get higher.

Sometimes they will initially get pissed and turn and hiss/try to bite, but that's ok your hand is sort of protected by the stick.

You want him to think that getting on his stick is a good thing, so you can give a bug reward as soon as he gets back in the cage. It will eventually become a trusted safe place for him.

My big evil veiled knows that the stick means he is going out to get some sun so he is very cooperative, unlike if I show him my hand.

Good luck!
Thank you so much, truly I will try and I’m sure it will work! Thanks for the kindness☺️

Back
Top Bottom