Too close sleeping?

unixmiah

I have this setup below and tonight is the only night when I noticed
both my chameleon over on the branch sleeping quiet close to each other, what's the safe distance? They sleep in their enclosure and sometimes my panther will sleep on the branch and the plants block their view from each other.

Is this ok? They've been trying to get close to eachother -- I know it's best to keep each other from their view.

Their setup:
full

You can see how close they are sleeping:
full

Another picture of them sleeping close (I should have tuned the flash off):
full

The panther that usually sleeps on the branch in most time:
full

The veiled that always sleeps in this enclosure-- today for some reason he decided to sleep out:
full

Last edited by a moderator:
They really shouldn't have access to each other. The veil is far more aggressive, and chances are he will injure or kill your panther. Panthers are no sissy either. They will and can stand their ground. It is a bad situation waiting to happen. Best thing is to give them each time alone free ranging.

I'm sorry, but I've got to point out a few things with your set-ups.

1. They need to be higher off the ground - chameleons like height, and judging by the window it looks like they are 2-3' high at the most. Get a couple of tables to place their cages on - the higher they are the more secure they will feel.

2. They should NOT see each other at all. Not a little bit, not some, not at all. When they see each other it will cause stress, weakening them and shortening their lifespans. It's fine to have both cages in the same room, but put up a solid divider.

3. If you are going to have both in the same room, only allow 1 to free range at a time, and don't let them have access to be near the other cage. It's nice that you've got some trees for them to explore, but make sure that when one is out the other is securely shut in their cage, even at night. Chameleons are solitary creatures, and while some people on here have luck co-mingling their chams, it's not a practice I would recommend until you are extremely experienced.

It's great that you want your little ones to free-range and explore, that's the best for them. We just want to make sure that you are doing it in a safe fashion, because there's nothing more dis-heartening than one of those threads that start "I thought it was ok". Best of luck with your little guys!

Hi, Thank you for the reply.

I will come up with a better blocker and make their enclosure higher.

Will any of them ever come closer to each other's reach distance? They always keep their distance-- if they can get close to eachother with out them noticing I'll move them physically (in the same room, but way further).

They absolutely could - chameleons are curious by nature, so even though you may have one that is content to just chill in one spot, you may have another who wants to explore. Or you have one that has never explored before, but then decides to give it a go.

A personal example - I have 2 chams, both males, a panther, and a veiled, much like you. My panther is closing in on 4 years, the veiled is one of the great-grands, so is about 1 1/2 years. I free-range them (with supervision at all times), on 2 separate ficus trees on my screened in lanai. Kosby (the panther), will NEVER move. He just enjoys his tree, and doesn't move. Until one day he did - he wandered down and over to the neighboring hibiscus tree. No real reason, and he was actually walking in the opposite direction from where Sunny was, but he decided to move and so he did. You can't predict what these beautiful creatures will decide to do.

Similarly, a few days ago Sunny decided he wanted to stay in his free-range tree. I brought Kosby in, and figured Sunny was perfectly fine on the porch. He made his way out of the 6' ficus, across the floor, and up the 8' screen side of the lanai, which is where I found him only 1/2 hour later. He was fine, but I had no idea he'd decide to wander around - it actually took me a few minutes to find him!

My veiled has COMPLETELY scared me a couple times when I am on the lanai with him - like I am right now - by moving super fast across the hibiscus bushes I have for him to free range in! It is like an experiment for him now to see if I'm going to let him on the floor or not! Originally he liked just staying put on 1 bush.

NOW he is a CLIMBER for sure! until he finds HIS spot for awhile. I watch him like a hawk - hahaha no pun intended and thank god my porch is screened in! In order to not disturb him as little as possible so that he can do his own thing, I just move him and the plant he is in back to the "start line" of his exploring bush range! When I try to put him back in the cage - he kinda is like trying to hiss or growl - but with no sound - but i can FEEL him vibrate! its amusing and yet I feel so bad for putting him back in the cage to feed and whatnot! absolutbill is right! expect the unexpected FUN with these guys! I've had a blast so far with all the new things that chams CAN and WILL do!

Back
Top Bottom