The worst case of MBD I have ever seen (video)

gpmo

This is a cautionary tail (pun intended)....

Female veiled, 8 months old, 3.5 inches (yes, correct units) nose to vent, 13 grams. Owners unable to care for so relinquished to us. The absolute worst case of nutritional secondary hyperparathyroidism (MBD) I have ever seen. She is being treated with calcium orally, oral pain medications and is eating on her own. She has fractures in both her front legs. She has no idea where her body is in space and is constantly grabbing herself and causing wounds. We have had her since Thursday, this video was taken 5 minutes after getting her home.

Please be observant of your animals and if you suspect an illness contact a competent vet, this poor girl suffered for 5 months before the previous owners brought her in for medical attention! Also urge your local and chain pet stores to encourage correct husbandry and the sale of only mature animals if at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5z6M_tcQX4

gpmo (her)

Wow. Very sad. I am not sure I would even try to treat her or that you will even be able to get her to a point where she will be able to move even close to normally. Usually when you see it this bad there is already organ damage.

Also, why was the Vet against doing a calcium boosting injection?

This is a cautionary tail (pun intended)....

Female veiled, 8 months old, 3.5 inches (yes, correct units) nose to vent, 13 grams. Owners unable to care for so relinquished to us. The absolute worst case of nutritional secondary hyperparathyroidism (MBD) I have ever seen. She is being treated with calcium orally, oral pain medications and is eating on her own. She has fractures in both her front legs. She has no idea where her body is in space and is constantly grabbing herself and causing wounds. We have had her since Thursday, this video was taken 5 minutes after getting her home.

Please be observant of your animals and if you suspect an illness contact a competent vet, this poor girl suffered for 5 months before the previous owners brought her in for medical attention! Also urge your local and chain pet stores to encourage correct husbandry and the sale of only mature animals if at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5z6M_tcQX4

gpmo (her)

OMFG! that is horrible! That little girl is soo broken! it makes me mad. I've only been a cham owner for like 3 weeks, and this is my first cham. but even before i got mine, or was even thinking about getting one, i would have known something was wrong. Just horrible. Im glad you have her now. I hope she recovers and lives a long pain free life

Heya,

We are debating euthanasia, but she is still eating and has fight in her and we are controlling her pain so we decided to give her a little while. She did get a calcium injection and two vitamin D injections over about 2 weeks prior to us getting her. Now she is on calcium glubionate and tramadol orally along with well fed bugs and lots of natural sunlight weather permitting. Luckily I am about to start my last year in vet school and have access to really good Docs :)

gpmo (her)

Good deal with the Vet care. Do you have to handfeed her? Can she shoot her tongue at all? I had to hand feed my little MBD rescue for the 2 years that I had him.

Luckily she is shooting fine and her aim is dead on. She has eaten every day we have had her. Her appetite and feistyness are the big reasons for giving her some more time... I am starting to get pretty attached already too lol

gpmo (her)

Luckily she is shooting fine and her aim is dead on. She has eaten every day we have had her. Her appetite and feistyness are the big reasons for giving her some more time... I am starting to get pretty attached already too lol

gpmo (her)

I completely understand. :)

That is just plain awful. I hope she pulls through for you! Never no, with her still eating in that condition and her aim is still good, maybe you can get her back to decent health. I am rooting for you!

Thanks for the good wishes all!!! We will keep this thread updated with pics and video as she (hopefully) improves :) I will pass on the good vibes to our little fighter!

gpmo (her)

Oh my gosh, that makes me want to cry. Where did you get her from?

She was purchased from a chain pet store at 3 months old and lived with the same people for 5 months after that, we have had her for a few days. I almost cried when I saw her for the first time too!

gpmo (her)

ohhhh that is so aweful I got tears in my eyes watching that its so sad!! I'm happy you guys are doing your best to help her!!!

I would find it very hard to not tell the people off that cared for her previously. There is just no excuse for that, I am sorry.

The quickest way to help her would be to get a vet to give her calcium injections and when her blood calcium levels are high enough a shot of calcitonin which rapidly draws the calcium back into the bones. Be careful of giving her any D3 injections since that can build up in her system and cause problems similar to MBD too.

The quickest way to help her would be to get a vet to give her calcium injections and when her blood calcium levels are high enough a shot of calcitonin which rapidly draws the calcium back into the bones. Be careful of giving her any D3 injections since that can build up in her system and cause problems similar to MBD too.

Luckily she has access to some very good vets and is currently under their care, some of her treatment is detailed in my previous posts.

gpmo(her)

I would find it very hard to not tell the people off that cared for her previously. There is just no excuse for that, I am sorry.

I agree!!!!! you dont have to have any chameleon experience to know that there was something wrong with her!! and if they did any type of care info on her they would deff know thats not right!!!! thats animal abuse!!

Back
Top Bottom