Questions about meds from the vet

Hey guys I haven't had a chance to get on here much latly because I have had my hands full the last 2 months. I had my panther lay her clutch and in the process her hole caved in on her. trapping her for I don't know how long but luckly because of some fast acting on our part she is doing well enjoying her silk worms and extra misting sessions. and one of our chameleons that we had found a new home for came back to us in VERY bad shape. The last time we seen him he was 5 months old and looked VERY healthy and when he was dropped off on us 2 weeks ago he has clear signs of MBD.He is a 7 month old Veiled chameleon. His legs have what looks like fluid build up, His limbs are bent and bowed. He was dehydrated and he was not eating. We acted fast and took him to our vet Dr. Hopper here in London Ontario. after looking him over she has prescribed him 2 oral meds the first one is Baytril. and the second one is Metacam. She also gave me a cream for his hand because he had a open sore and it was red. She wanted to make sure if it was fungal that we covered our basis. I was a little curious has anyone ever hurd of a case of mbd not being treated with any kind of calcium injections.
the only history I have from previous owner was that he was given multi vitamin daily and no calcium for a month while in care of a friend when he left town. Does this treatment sound right?
She told me to just use my calcium powder daily without D3 and D3 once a week, and multi 2 times a month. All his meds are to be use for 30days. Any imput would be appreated. I will try to post some pictures of him when I get home from work.

Sorry to hear he's in such bad shape. Please post a picture. Metacam is an anti inflammatory and used for pain. Baytril is used for infection. Calcium is used for MBD.

Last edited:
Yes that all sound right. Jann has the purpose of the drugs right. Calcium injections are not always given because oral calcium actually has better absorption. What the vet suggested for calcium supplementation is not enough imo. I would give calcium (w/out d3) every day. You can get a liquid calcium supplement which is more concentrated and give a drop every day for at least 45 days. He needs a lot of calcium right now to make up the difference of his deficiency. So sad that he's in such bad shape. :(

Back
Top Bottom