What type of chameleon do I have and other questions (pics inside)

lausnordah

Hi all,

I am a brand new owner of a <species> chameleon and I have been reading a LOT of posts about all types of chameleons, enclosures, care instructions, etc.

I have pictures of my chameleon here: http://sadfish.net/Pascal (Pics 140-146 were taken on 4/27, and 148-153 on 4/29). Please help me identify his species! The vet said he's a Panther but I don't think he is. I'm not sure if he's a Graceful either. In addition to the pictures where he shows his stripes, I've also seen him display only dots (no stripes visible).

The pictures show an exo terra rainforest habitat - medium, but I have two screen cages from LLLReptile ordered, one 18x18x36 and one 24x24x48 along with the water trays (that go beneath the cage) to trap water for each. I'll be using the smaller screen cage until he's at least 9-10 months old. The current glass cage (shame shame) has a reptisun 5.0 UVB CFL bulb (controversy!) on the left, and a 50 watt zilla bulb on the right. His temperatures range from 80-85 at the top and 70-75 on the bottom. Typically there will be 5-6 degrees variance between the top and bottom. I know 10 is ideal and I think I can achieve that with the screen cage.

I also purchased the "ultimate value" Mistking system because of all the raving about it on this forum (good job Marty!). I found that it really pools water at the bottom of the terrarium so I haven't used it much yet. Once the screen cages arrive I'll start using that because water collection won't be an issue anymore.

I've also purchased a Ficus from LLLReptile (no pesticides/insecticides/fertilizers!) that will go in his new screen cage.

I got him (I think it's a him) around two weeks ago from Petland. They had him labeled as a Graceful chameleon. I had my wife take him to a vet because I was concerned since I couldn't see him eating or drinking for a few days. That cost me 80 bucks to have him checked out and "dewormed" even though I don't think he was wild caught. The vet said the inside of his mouth wasn't the right color (I don't recall what that means) and that he had a sore on his foot but it would heal. I finally found poop on the 5-7th day that had cricket parts in it, and what I believe is referred to as a "tag" that was white/yellow.

I've only seen him drink once, and never seen him actually eat anything--although I think both processes are occurring because he is pooping. I'm keeping an eye out for an orange "tag" just in case he's not getting enough water. Is it normal for chameleons to only poop once a week?

I was putting 6 or so smaller/medium sized crickets in per day but I found a few the next morning and I've heard if there are many leftovers, they will try to nibble on my chameleon which could cause open wounds/path for infection. I don't think he has a problem nailing so many crickets now, because they seem to be disappearing. I'm putting 5-6 crickets in during the morning time (7am-ish). So far so good?

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Unknown, on all three
  • 2 weeks
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • He has been out of his cage to clean it once, and to take him to the vet once, plus two other times in two weeks
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • I've tried crickets, meal worms, and wax worms - he has only eaten crickets so far
  • 5-6 crickets per day of various sizes, I've been trying to figure out what size he likes. I know they're not supposed to be longer than the head is wide
  • I feed him in the morning around 7am before I go to work
  • I am gutloading with Fluker's orange, and an apple slice -- I've read it's not good to put more food than is necessary in the feeder cage. Is that correct?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • I've ordered RepCal w/D3 and w/o D3, and RepCal herptivite. It has not arrived yet so I've not been dusting. The Petland salesperson did not mention this was necessary - doh...
  • I'm not sure what the schedule should be since I don't know what species he is.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • I have been hand misting twice a day for 1-2 minutes to get everything wet. The humidity/water sticks around because he's in a glass cage... I have a Zoo Med fogger that runs every 30 minutes for 30 minutes that creates mist on leaves near it.
  • I do not see him drinking. I think he's shy. He freezes whenever he sees someone in the room
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • I've only seen him poop twice in 2 weeks. The first load would cover the surface of a quarter/nickel and had a white/yellow tag; I was able to scoop it out with a spoon so it was solid and appeared moist (go figure). The second load was a little more watery, and I removed it with a paper towel as it was on an artificial leaf; the tag seemed yellow/white. maybe a hint of orange? I'm not really sure.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • I got him from Petland. When he arrived home he didnt eat for 4-5 days from what I could tell. Now he's eating. I did see him drink on the second day I had him. From what people have said, chams drink a LOT -- I don't see that in Pascal

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • glass terrarium (screen cage on the way) with 5 sides glass, top being screen
  • 18x18x24 (glass), replacement screen cage is 18x18x36 & 24x24x48 (when he gets bigger)
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Reptisun 5.0 UVB and zilla 50 watt bulb (for basking)
  • 12 hours on from 7am to 7pm, although I've seen him still roaming his cage at 8pm (ambient light issue?)
  • I also leave the fogger on until 8pm to cool the cage down a bit; the cage is usually dry (except for the water at the bottom, which I am collecting with paper towels) in the morning
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • 70-75 & 80-85, usually variance of 5-6 degrees between the top / bottom
  • I measure them with a digital thermometer from Home Depot (accurite) that even measures to the tenth of a degree
  • lowest overnight is 65-70, typically not below 70
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • humidity is 60%+ as I'm not sure what species the chameleon is.
  • I use the exo-terra hygrometer
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • I have a ficus on the way (24" tall). all other plants are artificial
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • cage is on top of a dresser that is 3 feet high. it's near a window (although the temp change and light are not passing through enough to affect the cage)
  • I have a ceiling fan in my room but it does not appear to have a significant affect on reducing temperatures (or drying the cage out)
  • top of cage is approx 5ft from the floor
Location - Where are you geographically located?
  • I'm located in Cincinnati, OH.

Current Problem
  • I am concerned with providing the proper care for my chameleon. I don't know what species he is so I can't recreate ideal conditions. After browsing these forums for the past two weeks it's clear to me that I went into this unprepared. I've spent a lot of time & money trying to fix this (so please don't yell at me). I am a dedicated champarent and I just want to make him happy.
  • I told my daughter it's Pascal from the movie Tangled and she LOVES him. So I need to get this sorted out...

Thank you and PLEASE HELP!

Welcome to the forums! :)

It is a male graceful chameleon. He has a tarsal spur, which senegals don't have. If it was a female I probably couldn't tell between Senegal or graceful. ;) But its definitely not a panther. Gracefuls are 99% available as wild caughts, so yours more than likely is. He's an adult so he's not going to get bigger. He looks to be in pretty good shape but wild caughts can be challenging as new pets, especially for people without chameleon experience.

I am gutloading with Fluker's orange, and an apple slice -- I've read it's not good to put more food than is necessary in the feeder cage. Is that correct?

Flukers is not a very good gutload and apple is only good for hydration really. You can read more about gutloading here. You don't want to add too much food because then it spoils and you don't want the crickets to be eating that.

He's probably not going to drink in front of you because he's terrified of you. So make sure there is water available for several hours when you're not watching to give him an opportunity to drink. You can poke a small hole in the bottom of a styrofoam or plastic cup and put it on the top of the cage so it drips down onto the leaves of plants in his cage for a long time to give him a chance to drink.

Your temps and humidity sound good. Youre on the right track! :)

Last edited:
I know had the wrong profile.

Chamaeleo gracillis, Hallowell, 1842: beginners.
Distribution: Central Africa.
Climate preferences: Typical equatorial species, fond of heat and humidity.
Forest strata: Trees and shrubs.
Temperature: 74 to 86
Hygrometry: 85 - 90 percent.
It is a hot and humid enviroment.
Humidity: An artificial humidifier is recommended.. The humidity may rise considerably during certain times of year.
Staus in the wild: Abundant.
Breeing Data
Breeding potential: Reasonable.
Number of eggs per clutch: 20 to 40.
Number of clutches per year: 1 or 2.
Hatching time: 6 months at 74. (23.5 C)
Sexual maturity: 4 to 5 months.
Habitat: Forest.
Sociability: Quit agressive.
Food: Every moving thing that can be caught with the tongue and carried to the mouth.
Francois LaBerre
R.D.Bartlett
Patricia Bartlett

Last edited:
Thanks for your help guys. I really appreciate it. On the temperature -- 74 to 86, I'm assuming that's non-basking temp? Basking temp (a small corner of the cage) should be a certain amount higher from my understanding.

It's been really hard to find accurate information regarding any of the chameleon species online. A lot of sources conflict with one another. I appreciate you taking the time to put that information out there Dean.

Thanks for your help guys. I really appreciate it. On the temperature -- 74 to 86, I'm assuming that's non-basking temp? Basking temp (a small corner of the cage) should be a certain amount higher from my understanding.

It's been really hard to find accurate information regarding any of the chameleon species online. A lot of sources conflict with one another. I appreciate you taking the time to put that information out there Dean.

Welcome to the forum! All ur info can be found here :) and is usually shockingly accurate. I do believe from 74-86 would be basking spot of 86 usually torwards the top of the enclouser with it being cooler torwards the bottom so they can move up and down to thermoregulate themselves. I'm not familiar with that species so the specific basking temp may be higher. I know a young veiled 86 is about right. Uping it to 90ish when reached sub adult.

Again welcome. Stumbling on this place is better than the gold at the end of the rainbow.

Back
Top Bottom