The worst case of MBD I have ever seen (video)

Unfortunately the way she came into our lives we couldn't just tell them off for professional reasons. They were offered some resources to research and the opprotunity to see our set ups and see proper husbandry before they went and bought another. It looks like they will not be getting another though.

Thanks for all the great comments btw, with a bit of luck and lots of attention she should have a good quality of life and a nice safe enviroment for her needs.

Gpmo (him)

Thank goodness you are controlling pain! I know some people do not when they take on MBD cases, and I think it's just inhumane. It sounds like she will make a fast recovery, especially since she can shoot still! Good luck!

Wow that's terrible :mad:, I thought the chameleon I rescued was bad. This is really the worst case i have ever seen.

honestly, this makes me sick and very very sad, but I am glad that it is out there for people to see that taking care of a chameleon isn't a joke. It's SERIOUS!!! It is so very sad that it had gone that far! People need to realize what can happen if you don't take care of your chameleon properly :'(
I hope that little girl can pull through! That would really be a miracle~!

Gpmo,
I must say, the sheer genuine compassion of yourself and others like you here to rescue animals in such a state (regardless their origins) and further to attempt to rehabilitate them, particularly an animal so bad, amazes and inspires me!
My personal judgement would be that this particular animals chances of any *quality
of life, even after treatment, would be on the low side.
Yet you are prepared and optimistic despite knowing this, clearly indicates the extent of your compassion. Bravo!
I wish you success and a great sense of fulfillment from your task, and ofcourse for the lizard, a confortable remainder.
Cheers :)

*subjective.

I would find it very hard to not tell the people off that cared for her previously. There is just no excuse for that, I am sorry.

Telling them off would not be what I had in mind. I am a huge animal lover, I mean huge, I have 3 cats, a ferret, a 75 gal and 10 gal fish tank (one with a turtle in it) and I am getting a puppy on sunday. I also foster dogs. I feel that people who abuse animals should have it done to them (though duno how you would cause mbd in a human) I know that sounds harsh and you all can feel free to disagree (nicely) but it breaks my heart to see your little girl like that. While she may never be perfect, I hope she can get bettter enough to live a full life

I have seen a previous vid on here before so I cant watch that :(

I admire you tho for doing what you are doing!! really hope she gets better :D

I only managed to watch 15 seconds. That poor chameleon! How can people do that?! It makes my blood boil to see her like that.:mad: I am just lost for words with this, it makes me so sad.:(

i just cannot believe someone could keep and animal and not see that there was something wrong with her,i just told my other half yesterday that if i saw something that wasnt right with my chams and i had caused it..i would hand them and everything they own over to someone who is better able to care for them correctly..this video just made me cry..those people should be ashamed of themselves!!! kudos to you for your valliant efforts to give this beautiful little creature a good life..im sorry for my next comment but here it is anyways"i hope those people(previous owners) fall through their asses and suffocate!! that was complete dissrespect and cruelty sor something so small and helpless!! God bless this little cham and help her pull through....

Poor calyptratus. The good thing about chameleons: Only calyptratus can survive under such horrible conditions for so long... others will be released sooner

update

Thanks for the continuing good wishes! Since the original video was from last Thursday I though an update might be in order, so here is some footage of her eating lunch. Please excuse the weird angle, it is shot with my phone... and here is a pic of post-munching bask time.

web.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDDa9jRqww

She is trembling a lot less than she was when we first got her, she seems to be moving around better also which is a good sign. She is being monitored very carefully and if she shows any signs of pain (that cannot be controlled) or decreased appetite (among other things) then euthanasia will be our next option. Hopefully she continues to improve!

gpmo(her)

Well done on taking this girl on! She looks stronger already.

I took on a cham with MBD and I don't think he was far from death when I took him on - he too has several fractures in all 4 legs, rib fractures etc. - but he's doing great :D

Have you tried offering her some silk worms and butterworms - very high in calcium, particularly the butterworms - my guy is thriving on them!

Keep up the good work!

The rescue I had was a male that I had given someone from one of my clutches. He came to me laying on his side and his back legs were grasping around his back. He couldn't shoot and he couldn't right himself. I had to feed him "bug juice" with calcium glutonionate (? sp) and Reptaid, and put a new UVB bulb over him. He couldn't grasp a branch but I put a leafy sprig in his bin anyway so he could hide under it. He felt safer there. I felt he was at deaths door, but he was a brother of Merlin the Magnificent, a healthy male we had kept from the clutch as a pet, and just didn't have the heart for euthanasia quite yet. He seemed to want to live and tried his best to swallow everything I put in his mouth. He drank water, took his medicine and ate every couple of hours. It couldn't have been very good since they like live food.

After a couple of weeks he gained strength and I offered him a cricket on a big tweezers. He opened his mouth and tried to grab it. He still couldn't shoot. Well, I popped it in and he chomped away with relish. We gave up on the bug juice and went to the crickets. His diet was now crickets, worms and silkies. From this point on I could see improvement weekly, slowly but surely.

It took about 6 months before he could safely be in a regular cage. He now climbs around although he isn't as strong as his brother and he does tend to slip from time to time. I put a lot of branches in his cage so if he does fall his fall is broken and he doesn't just plunk to the bottom. His legs and casque are crooked but his heart is big. He still has a soft spot for me and will come to me so I can take him outside for some rays. I think he deserves some good UVB's. Vinny is the man and I love him for his will to live. He has been with us for about a year and a half and has even fathered a clutch. :)

You can bring them back to a successful life with time and work.

Thanks for the encouraging story about your cham BocaJan! I am growing more attached to this little one with the huge spirit :) We spent time outside in the sun today (her first time ever), she wasn't very pleased at first but then settled down to sun bathe.

super mad at the sun

web.jpg

gpmo(her)

Back
Top Bottom